Beach cottages Beach cottages

Community Development Short-Term Internship in Mexico

Inspiring project!

I love being able to give back to the escuelita and seeing the looks on the children's faces.

Although the life at home was negative, project life was so beautiful and inspiring, it's all about making your own happiness.

A rewarding and cultural experience

From working with children in multiple educational institutions to the opportunity to practice Spanish on a daily basis, this program had everything I was looking for in volunteering.
I was able to immerse myself well into the Mexican culture and meet lots of other people who were as enthusiastic about working with children as I was.
Never have I felt so welcome somewhere so quickly. A truly excellent programme, I was there for 3 months and there wasn't a single person there who did not have an amazing time!

People were inspiring

I really enjoyed my overall experience. I was inspired by the people there. The staff was extremely friendly and had an open door policy. They answered my questions and were always positive.

I also enjoyed organizing the CT fundraising event. Also, I enjoyed the people I worked and lived with.

Great Staff Support

My most positive experience was working with the children at the community centre and the summer school and watching the impact on the trip really inspire and motivate my won students. I also loved the way we got to experience not just the community centres but also lots of Mexican culture and traditions.

From start to finish, Juvia and Alex and Jess from a far ensured the group had the most amazing experience ever.

Wonderful traveling experience!

Alex, Lluvia, and Cynthia were all so organized and helpful. The support promised was given. I met so many wonderful people from around the world and even though I was a lot older than the others, I always felt welcomed and a part of the team. The teachers, Febe and Luci at the Ludoteca were amazing and working with the children will always be a treasured memory. GVI was everything and more than I expected. I loved living and working in Mexico, and not being there as a tourist.

I had the most amazing time!

I enjoyed living in the accommodation with the rest of the staff and interns, I think that they made my trip! And we were able to have so much fun together. I wish I could have stayed longer! I also was thankful I was able to attend another volunteering project for one day as well as the child care. I loved the area and the location of the accommodation is perfect as we can see more the outskirts of the city rather than just the commercial parts. The Spanish school we attended on the first week was also amazing! We didn't realise they would hold events and we could meet so many new people through it!

Love supporting children

I had a lot of positive experience in the program. I really enjoyed going to the Ludoteca and giving the children extra love and support. I also liked meeting new people from many different parts of the world.

Fun Experience

I enjoyed meeting new people, how you were allowed to have fun and see other places as well as work, i really liked the accommodation and location and thought the organisation of GVI as a whole in Mexico was very efficient.

One of the best experiences of my life!

Most positive experiences were those of interacting with the children on the program, and becoming good friends with the other GVI volunteers. It was very rewarding to be able to interact with the children and feel that I was making a difference for them, even though it was not at first obvious how I would be doing so.

Well-organized program

I really enjoyed working at the Special Needs School and the range of activities I was involved in through the SNS.

The program was well-organised and the projects were well-thought out and contributed to the community.

How to kickstart your year!

Based on the outskirts of sunny Playa del Carmen for 3 months... What better way to start off my year! I thoroughly enjoyed my time with GVI in Playa. The community development internship provided a good range of projects to get involved with; it was nice to have the opportunity to work both with the children at Invasores, Ludo and Escuelita but then also break it up with the vetenary project at Coco's. There were times when projects could be challenging, mainly at the start when getting to know the ropes, but the outcome was always rewarding and the staff were all very welcoming and supportive. Staff at Coco's and Escuelita in particular were fantastic, and it quickly felt like being part of a family! It was great that the internship was more than just about the projects as well. In particular I was able to gain new experiences and skills with preparing and organising the fundraising event for the Charitable Trust, improving my Spanish, having responsibilities for projects around the volunteer house, and also being given the opportunity to receive training on health and safety and volunteer management in order to become a scholar; this in particular was a really big boost for my confidence.
Outside of project life, there was always something for us volunteers to do, not just only in downtown Playa but the numerous towns, ruins, and gorgeous cenotes in the surrounding region. And of course my time in Playa wouldn't of been the same without the other amazing volunteers I met during my time out there.

Volunteering abroad is something I'd been umming and ahhing about for a while. After spending almost a year working in a office and already bored and worried about still being stuck doing the same thing for another year I finally made my decision. I really couldn't of asked for a better 3 months or start to my year; lots of new experiences, lots of fun memories, and some amazing new friends made. As well as the internship in Mexico, GVI is definitely an organisation I would recommend if you ever wanted to volunteer abroad - there are so many opportunities available. I've already started to look at what further placements I could do.

Finally, thank you GVI Playa, it truly was a blast!

It was an endearing experience

It was great working with the interns and manager - lovely people. Offered a variety of options to see other of the voluntary programmes as well - was incredibly eye-opening. Working with the children was also fantastic - the teaching staff in the Ludotecas were very approachable and the children were proactively welcoming when I met them.

Its great to know we're helping

I had a great time! Working with the kids was amazing and Playa del Carmen was a beautiful town.

Its great to know we're helping. Very expensive though-maybe base less on money and more on interview process.

Loved working with kids!

My most positive memories in the Mexico program were learning Spanish and being able to apply it in the afternoons at the ludoteca, working with the children, and making friends around the local area.

Amazing Experience

I had a great experience with the living conditions. The program project and goals set by staff prior to program were spot on..

I just wish the placement is more accessible with cheaper program fees.

Wonderful Community

I was able to do a lot of things I would never have done at home. The program provided me with a whole new skill set and knowledge that I am so so grateful. The programs and contribution to the community is wonderful, I am proud to have been part of that.