Beach cottages Beach cottages

Community Development Short-Term Internship in Cape Town

South Africa changed me for the better

Working closely with the children - getting to know them well so we could tailor lessons and see their progress was goal when I was in Cape Town. Being able to help and make new friends was the best thing I ever did in my life. It was an amazing feeling to make a difference. I was able to learn something from the locals and become the part of their family. I'm sad that I was just there for a short period of time, but they did made an impact in me that will never ever change.

Incredible and inspiring

Working with the children at the Sanctuary and seeing their progress was an amazing experience and very rewarding. Working with the girls at ACJ through the Women's Empowerment program was also incredible and inspiring.

Getting to know what it means to be a South African

My most positive experience was interacting with different types of locals and getting to know what it means to be a South African from different areas of class and wealth.

I cannot thank GVI enough for awakening me to the world of volunteering

My most positive experience was the entire week - from the moment you arrive at your destination, GVI immediately makes you feel welcome and safe, and that you are a part of the family. Because essentially that's what GVI is - a family - complete of like-minded people who are all there to achieve the same focus and goal of each program. I love the shared environment with the volunteers as it provides 24-hour support and a platform to build friendships that last a lifetime. I LOVED my time working on construction, and it was magical to be able to step back at the end of the week and view the progress we had made from painting and the difference we had made in just a short period of time. Every second I spend away with GVI makes me LOVE life, and hungry to get back out there in the field and continue to explore the amazing difference this organisation is making to the world!

I felt as if I knew them my whole life

My best experiences in South Africa were the times that I spend with my team on the project site. Even though I only knew my peers and coordinators for a few weeks, I felt as if I knew them my whole life.

Incredible experience!

For both projects the volunteers and staff were so friendly and made me feel at home, which made the whole experience a lot more comfortable than I can imagine it could have been. Working with children was something that I had never done and in Cape Town I found this such a rewarding experience, especially seeing how much GVI's work really benefits them. In Karongwe, I loved that I learnt so much about the conservation of not only the animals but the whole environment and the impact that it has on the community as well. I think there was a lot more to learn than I thought and doing so with people that are all so lovely and passionate about it made it an even more incredible experience!

I was very afraid of large cats before this trip

My most positive experience was getting so close to the animals on a daily basis and getting to know amazing people! I was very afraid of large cats before this trip - the experience of walking in on Ketswiri and her cubs my first month was life changing. Her death was heartbreaking but brought us all closer in the end.

Great experience!

Enjoyed meeting new people, becoming close friends and the overall "closeness" of living with others. Thoroughly enjoyed the happiness the children expressed. Its a great way to experience another culture and country as well as contributing to that culture.

The side trips were amazing

My most positive experiences were seeing the children progress and develop while I was there, the side trips were amazing and the people I met throughout my stay in South Africa were fantastic, life long friends.

What a rewarding experience

Working in the townships with the kids/project partners, meeting the GVI staff, and working with other volunteers. What a rewarding experience. It was well organized, sustainable, well-thought out, and I like your organization's goals.

I had a great time

My most positive experience in South Africa was achieving results for the community that they were so happy with. I had a great time and had personal rewards as well as seeing visible benefits to the community.

Positive experience

My most positive experiences were the close interactions with the animals, which was helped by the knowledge of the staff members, special mention to Andreas Fox. The sense of accomplishment in helping out with the teaching of the school children. Designing, constructing and completing the crèche in the oaks village. I enjoyed the diversity and backgrounds of all the people I met whilst volunteering, but the ability to fulfil my desire to go on safari is what I enjoyed the most.