Beach cottages Beach cottages

Community Development Internship in Mexico

Volunteer with GVI!

Mexico is a beautiful country and I am able to get to know the culture, lifestyle, and the locals! Meeting some amazing people from around the world who have the same goals and mindset as I am and becoming friends with them is one of the best things of volunteering.

Thanks to GVI, I am able to gain a sense of responsibility, achievement, and appreciation of life at the Invasores project and exploring Mexico.

My Mexican adventure!

I had several different reasons for why I wanted to go to Playa del Carmen, Mexico to do GVI's Longterm Community Development Internship and I have to say I am so very glad I decided to go. I had initially chosen this program as I had wanted to start working in the area of community development, which I had no experience of so this seemed like a great opportunity to get the relevant work experience and also to get that little bit extra with all the additional aspects of the Internship Program. You start off as a volunteer for first 12 weeks which lets you get to know all 3 of the community programs in depth. This includes the childcare program, healthcare program and the vet care program. I also got a lot of training including first aid and leadership training, one on one mentorship from a member of staff and once I successfully completed the first 12 weeks I proceeded onto the 12 week placement. This is essentially being a member of staff for these community programs so I got the chance to get a lot more involved in all aspect of the community programs. I also got the chance to learn some Spanish, attempt some salsa dancing and I got to meet so many amazing people who I already know will be friends for a lifetime. The main question you have to ask yourself is why wouldn't you go?