Beach cottages Beach cottages

Community Development Expedition in Fiji

Being able to make a difference

The highlight/s of my whole trip was being able to develop a workshop that can be used and put into practice for villagers in Dawasamu.. Actually being able to make a difference and have it be carried on!

Great opportunity to visit new places and meet new people

I loved our Integration into the community of Silana village and spending time learning about a new culture and making friends with people. Also it was awesome being able to physically see achievements made by the construction team during the month I was on the program.

I enjoyed learning new skills!

We loved being in the villages with the people, and experiencing their kindness and attitude to life. We enjoyed being part of GVI, and found everywhere we went that GVI are highly valued and respected. Your staff are really skilled communicators and have built excellent relationships in the communities they are operating in. Well done to all. I enjoyed learning new skills, and offering practical help to improve the drinking water situation in the Yasawa Islands.

A week was too short for the full experience

The people. Great staff, very helpful, caring, and with tons of humor. And my fellow volunteers were all very easy to get along great with. I have never bonded so strongly, so quickly, with people whom I had only known for a week.

Experienced something new

I enjoyed meeting the other volunteers and staff. The most positive thing was working together and enjoying ourselves with limited resources.

It was not hard work, I learnt new skills and met new people and experienced something I wouldn't ordinarily have to got to.

Fantastically well run organisation and I have volunteered previously with others

I particularly enjoyed listening to local villagers and how there needs could be met to assure enough water is available for all. I love camp life and although basic everyone made up for it with a fantastic atmosphere and spirit. I could have spent a lot more time on the project had i been able too and i can see a better future for the people of the Yasawa Islands.

The staff and volunteers I met were fun people and made me feel at place.

I enjoyed most the fact that we were always working alongside with the locals and even had stuff members from the islands. That made me feel that I experienced the culture and way of life as much as possible. I was impressed with how much can me done with only a few resources of material. Some of my most positive experiences were: seeing the development of the harvesting systems after every days work, visiting and working a few times at the school, the lunch at one of the villages where we would all sit together with the locals and enjoy a traditional meal.

It is certainly worth saving and sacrificing for

My program manager was very warm, welcoming, and eager to train us. My fellow volunteers we very engaging and interesting people. My favorite parts of the trip include completing construction projects on the various islands and seeing the relevance of the work that we were doing. It felt very rewarding to learn new skills and work very hard and to actually produce results that I was able to see in such a short amount of time. I also loved the simple things like cooking with my cooking team on base and playing games with fellow volunteers as we relaxed in the evenings.

Would love to go back!

Everything was positive and exceeded the expectations, but the quality of staff and programme management must be underlined above all.

I would like to go back to the same program and take part in it in a different stage.

The staff made me feel right at home

My favourite part about the experience was the people, by the end of the trip they felt like family and I was sad too leave. The local family we stayed with on the remote island made us feel at home, and helped out at any opportunity they could. On the volunteer site at Nadula, the children warmed too us immediately and played jokes on us. Furthermore the local males who sat around doing nothing all day while the women were of tending to their everyday needs, decided they knew best and helped out in humorous ways to build water tanks.

It was very well organised, the staff made me feel at home, the program allowed for a great experience.

The best thing about my GVI experience was the total integration

The best thing about my GVI experience was the total integration we had with the village and the community, spending time with my host family and getting involved with all the children of the village. My favourite moments include the waterfall, climbing Tova Peak mountain, the children teaching us the Meke and just generally hanging out with the children drinking coconuts etc. Building the classroom on project was hard but a thoroughly rewarding and great experience.

Enjoyed most living and working in a traditional village

I enjoyed the most living and working in a traditional village where staff and volunteers were welcomed with open arms and hearts which made everyone who participated feel at home and a valuable part of the community. Being treated like one of the family and given a brief opportunity to become a GVI staff member due to staff shortages at the time. Made me feel like I was very much appreciated and an asset to the program by staff, volunteers and community alike.

GVI far exceeded my expectations!

I loved having a family to go to and that we stayed right next to the village. I loved that there was a lot of village and base interactions. The side trips were great and the people in the village were absolutely amazing! Truly the nicest and happiest people I have ever met. The staff was great, too! All very nice and they definitely fit in to the village and are willing to help all volunteers with whatever problems may arise.

Great opportunity to experience Fijian lifestyle

I really felt the impact of my work. The camaraderie on base is also something to be spoken of. While not everyone gets along, there is a sense of togetherness knowing you are all there for similar reasons and all want to help others.

GVI is a great NGO!

Living in Silana was my favorite part of this program, the people made the most amazing and beautiful community to work with. If a volunteer chooses to, they can completely immerse themselves in the culture. The few presentations we made from the hall really seemed to be influential. Working at school was fantastic because we started to focus a lot of social education and the kids really responded well. Seeing the improvement and interest from the students was fantastic. Life on base and the staff also made the experience really amazing.

I absolutely loved my time with GVI in Fiji!

The connection with the community that was made was beyond my expectations. The people of Navotua and the opportunities Beth and GVI gave me made me realize this really is what I want to do after graduation. The children were the most amazing part because of their eagerness to learn along with ow adorable and friendly they are.

Enjoyed my time on the project!

So many amazing memories! (1) Bring able to get involved with the village (2) Having a Fijian family (3) Being a part of a project of constructing the library from start to finish (4) Being involved in both secondary and primary school teaching projects along with construction

Fiji was brilliant and really feels like home to me

I loved feeling so welcome and part of the community! Living with the families and teaching at the school taught me a lot about Fijian culture, lifestyle and even the language, which just would not have been possible coming to the country as a tourist. It was also great sharing a base with the Marine Team. I had never dived before and didn't know an awful lot about marine conservation but they both educated and inspired me to get my Open Water qualification and explore the locals reefs and find out what i could do to help protect them. Another positive experience was the field staff and base manager. They helped me a lot from initial home sickness to illnesses to teacher training because most if them had also been in my position not too long ago.

Heart-warming to know you're making a difference

I enjoyed everything equally. I loved the fact the fijians are so welcoming and friendly and really do appreciate what GVI are doing for them. I loved seeing there faces light up when things were going good i.e when the vegetables started growing after we planted them an they could actually see results happening its a great feeling knowing that were doing something to better there health and there families health its an eye opener as i always took for granted what i have right around the corner in a shop whereas they don't have that luxury at hand and we helped give them that opportunity to have it on hand.

Incredible experience!

I loved teaching in Ratu Meli Memorial School and meeting local families in different villages. It was a very memorable and positive experience which I feel contributed to the Fijian community development significantly.

The experience has opened my eyes to the world

I loved working with the children in the schools and seeing them progress in the few weeks that I was working with them. Feeling as though my contribution, even tough it was small, has at least made some kind of difference to the children's lives in some way and that they will one day realise that having my help as well as help from other volunteers have influenced their life path. The experience has given me confidence and skills that I thought I never would achieve and so I am forever grateful for the chance to have worked with GVI.

Loved being able to fully embrace a new culture

My most positive experiences would be seeing the impact that the presence of gvi volunteers have on the local community; particularly on my last day of construction where we walked into a small community living by the beach and they all came and helped us, fed us and then after the cement base had been completed they thanked us with cakes and we joined all the men that had helped us in a kava ceremony. It was such a nice feeling to see their appreciation and willingness to help and then thank us despite them having little. Another highlight was the children in the school, they were so friendly and welcoming and it became easy and very quick to get attached to them all.

Eye-opening experience

The children at RMMS and painting the individual classrooms will be something that I will never forget. I really thought it was amazing that we were able to finish two of the classrooms at school and see the children's happy faces and the appreciation for what we did.

I came away from the experience happy and with only wonderful memories.

My most positive experiences were teaching on the one on one program. I loved getting to know the children and how welcoming and accepting they were of me and my ideas. They were truly willing to work when I asked them to and I hope that the little time I spent with them helped them improve in their studies. I was also impressed with the community feeling GVI managed to nurture on base and will undoubtedly treasure the people I met and the life I lived during the month I spent on the Fiji Program.

Can't praise GVI and Fiji project enough!

The group that we had throughout was fantastic and everyone got on really well. The staff were amazing and very capable especially Jackie, Lauren, Candice, Ron and Tamu. The location was amazing, and the fact that base was located within a village community made it all the better. The project and its aims were carried out really well (weather permitting) and towards the end I felt as if I had added to the overall aim.