Beach cottages Beach cottages

Community Development Expedition in Costa Rica

Was a great experience

Was a great experience and I can see the benefits that a GVI program brings to a community. The interaction with the other volunteers and the feeling of leaving something substantive and useful behind was awesome.

Great program

Great program. Staff was excellent. Accommodations had some minor issues but that was to be expected. The community center was in a great location and worked well with the neighbouring school. Orientation was a bit tedious.

Overall it was honestly the best two weeks of my life!

The group I participated on the program with were absolutely outstanding and the field staff and older volunteers were amazing and so friendly. They all made my experience incredible. I thought the project work was fantastic because it was so hands-on and you really felt like you were making a difference. The activities we did for the adventure week were phenomenal. Overall it was honestly the best two weeks of my life!

Saw the improvement we made at the school!

My most positive experiences during my whole stay in Costa Rica were meeting new people from all over the world and making or forming friendships! and of course seeing the improvement we made at the school!

There was nothing on the trip that I didn't enjoy!

I enjoyed working in the community in El Cocal most about my gvi experience and I also loved being with Christina, Blaine and Alix who were such great leaders to have. All the extra activities were also so much fun and I loved them all, especially the white water rafting. There was nothing on the trip that I didn't enjoy!

I loved doing what I was doing

I enjoyed meeting people from different backgrounds and ages of my self and learning about their experiences and having small talk and conversations about life. I loved doing what I was doing and I would most likely choose the same program.

I knew that I was making a difference

The children were amazing and made my experience worth it. I knew that I was making a difference. I really enjoyed living with my GVI family and getting to know one another. It's important to have support from new friends and family when your own are so far away

Interesting

Teaching and developing a rapport with the children while becoming a regular part of the community was the best part of my trip plus developing friendships with staff and other volunteers from all over the world was great.

My most positive experience

My most positive experience in Costa Rica and GVI was getting to know the community and the kids, meeting other volunteers and making new friends with them as well as practising my spanish during the program.

I fell in love

I fell in love with San Fran and the community, everything about it. The project, the people, the location, and the staff. Amelia, Cassidy, and Stephanie were amazing. So helpful with everything, made me feel safe and comfortable when I first got there.

I enjoyed the location and the project work

I enjoyed the location and the project work. The staff were very helpful, understanding and friendly.
If GVI wishes to offer the possibility of an accommodation upgrade then please look into it thoroughly and locate the best possible options for future volunteers. I had to find one for myself because things didn't seem to be moving very much when I requested the upgrade. "Villas Jacquelina" where I chose to stay is an excellent choice for future volunteers.

Creating recognition at a national level

Most positive experience was seeing small changes in a very underprivileged community who would otherwise be neglected locally. Pride in the school and the development of facilities in the school recognised by the local ministry of education creating recognition at a national level. Another bonus and highlight was the sloth living in the tree in our garden and the daily visit of monkeys cruising past our place into the jungle

My most memorable experiences

Working within the school teaching English and looking after kinder in the community center were my most memorable experiences. I would suggest though to make side trips easier. We didn't really have enough time to take side trips and so I think it should be strongly recommended to people to make time to travel before or after the program instead of making it sound like you can take side trips during.