Greenheart Travel participant Greenheart Travel participant

Study Abroad in Ireland with Greenheart Travel

Help every step of the way

We chose Greenheart Travel because we were looking for an established, reputable agency that participated in a regulatory/screening organization, and found them listed on the CSIET website. Greenheart Travel was also one of the agencies we found that would place students in Ireland, and take a high school student who would turn 18 during his year abroad.

Hope Pavich, our Greenheart Travel program manager, was superb! She clearly communicated all the steps of the application and preparation processes, hosted a fantastic “getting ready to go” Skype call with several young people, kept us informed of our son Cooper’s progress, and was available for any questions we had. Hope is the best!

Bernadette and Christopher, Cooper’s host parents, were beyond lovely to him and to us when we visited Ireland at the end of his program. They clearly cared for and about Cooper while still understanding the needs of older teenagers and the unique challenges of parenting this age of an individual. We couldn’t be happier with how they supported Cooper in his time abroad. Nula, the area representative, did a wonderful job of helping Cooper when he required assistance as well.

It was a great experience and I would do it again in a heart beat.

The summer of my 18th year was sounding grim, but then I thought why not follow my dreams of traveling and travel before I am in college. So I decided to follow my ancestors to their homeland of Ireland. Amy Neal, my terrific travel coordinator helped through the whole process. Also CCI was a great company to go through, because I could choose where and when I wanted to go. After everything was settled with my host family Miceal and Mary McCormack, I found out there would also be a German girl my age. Later I found out she was Theresa Koch a seventeen year old. I stayed two weeks in Fethard, Co. Tipperary, Ireland. My flight into Dublin was a great view and so my journey began. As soon as I stepped off the plane I felt the friendly atmosphere. I took the two hour bus ride to Cashel to meet Mary. She knew exactly which one I was. The lingo for everything was different, but I caught on in a couple of days of listening. The food was great and always filling. Mary was a great cook. Tea, at least hot was a new experience for me, about three times a day. Bingo is also fun; Mary, Theresa and I went four times a week and just had a fun time with all the ladies. Pubs are another huge part of the culture, and it isn't just for drinking. We went just to enjoy each others company eating Tayto Irish Crisps. Yum! Long walks around the town and countryside completed off our days. It was a great experience and I would do it again in a heart beat.

A second family

As my daughter, Julianna, boarded the plane in August for Ireland, I was excited, nervous, and a little sad. We had been planning this departure for almost a year and Greenheart Travel was extremely helpful through the entire experience. Hope Pavich, High School Program Director, worked closely with us, explaining everything as we got closer and closer to Julianna's departure date. Hope set Julianna up with the most fantastic host family, it was a perfect match. Hope worked with Greenheart's Travel Specialist, Amanda Stevens, to arrange all the plane trips to and from our home city of Detroit. Julianna trip was not without problems. Her flight out of Detroit was very late. Her luggage was lost for days. She was sick and had to visit the pharmacist three times. But worst of all her flights back home were cancelled over and over due to an untimely monstrous snow storm. Thankfully Amanda made it her personal mission to get my girl home. While many people were stuck sleeping in airports, Julianna was belted in her seat (3 days late) flying the unfriendly skies home. I know many parents worry about sending a high school student across the sea for five months, living in a foreign country with strangers. But I am here to attest to the fact that Julianna's semester abroad was the experience of a lifetime. She came back more mature, more confident, more independent, and fully prepared to go off to college in the fall.