GoEco - Volunteer Abroadhttp://www.goeco.org/project/284/Volunteer...
36A HaNamal St Tel Aviv, Israel
2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks
Typical Duration of Program
The incredible attraction of the famous migration over the Masai Mara has brought with it some conflict in competition for resources such as predator's praying on local livestock, and the Masai people not being as involved in the tourism project as would be hoped. The aims of this project are to ensure that the Mara remains a valuable source of income for the country and to increase local community involvement in the tourism process.
Additionally, the project aims to monitor and research some of Africa's most endangered wildlife, and in partner with a Big Cat Monotoring project volunteers will help monitor the movement of prides of lions, leopards and cheetas within the conservancy, as well as the interaction between lions and the local communities.
* Location of project: Masai Mara, Kenya
* Volunteer work and contribution
Volunteers will be involved in three main initiatives: wildlife monitoring and conservation efforts, environmental education at a local primary school, and developing resources/helping to educate future local tour guides at a guiding school. Activities can include but are not limited to:
- Lion research and data collection
- Diverse data collection, particularly during the Great Migration in the summer months (game drive routing, road identification, species recording and wildlife monitoring)
- Running an environmental club at a local primary school
- Help out at a tour guiding school for local residents to become more involved in the tourism process surrounding Masai Mara. This may include teaching English, cultural lessons, computer classes , building/repairing facilities, etc.
There are many optional travel and excursion options that you will be able to arrange once on site. These include the following (prices and availability are subject to change):
* Walking Safaris: USD30 per person
* Night out in the Bush: USD90 per person
* Excursion to Masai Mara Game Reserve: USD130 per person (park entrance fees not included)
* Balloon Safaris: USD440 per person
* Dorobo Bush Camp overnight including guided walk: USD225 per person (park entrance fees not included)
* Lamu Getaway: USD995 per person (park entrance fees not included)
* 2 night stay at Basecamp Masai Mara overnight including game drives in National Reserve: USD300 per person (park fees not included)
* 1 night stay at Basecamp Masai Mara including game drives in National Reserve: USD200 per person (Park fees not included)
* Overnight stay at Basecamp Wilderness: USD 100 per person (full board excluding game drives)
- Min age 18
- Good level of English
- Motivation to learn about conservation in a serious way
- Motivation to work with children or adults
- High level of independence and flexibility
- Full travel and medical insurance. We encourage all volunteers that sign up for this project to enroll in with AMREF (also known as Flying Doctors) as well as being insured from their home country. This is to care for an emergency airlift evacuation due to the location and nature of the project. Full details will be sent upon registration
- Immunizations (please consult your doctor)
1,380 for 2 weeks, 300 each extra week
- Accommodation: Shared dormitory rooms located within the bush
- Food: 3 meals daily
- Airport pickup: Included upon arrival
- Local transport: All project-related transportation and equipment required to carry out your project work
- SIM card: Kenyan SIM card provided upon arrival
- Orientation Kit: Full project details will be sent following registration
- Training: Pre-departure preparation and training
- Support: Local in-country team and 24hr emergency support
Volunteers with GoEco are united by their passion for travel and desire to help people. Our volunteers are from all over the world, representing a host of religions, cultures, and languages. Ultimately, GoEco volunteers are fun-loving, adventurous, and outgoing agents for change.
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
(1) Encourage ecological and volunteer tourism that promotes sustainable development (2) Enable travelers to experience different and more rewarding kinds of tourism. (3) Encourage travelers to volunteer for the benefit of others and thus to serve as a good-will ambassador to other countries in the world. (4) Encourage travelers from all over the world to come to Israel for ecological and community-based projects, in both the Arab and Jewish sectors, and experience firsthand the unique cultural and natural diversity in this region. (5) Support environmental and humanitarian projects that promote understanding and good will between ethnic societies in Israel. (6) Conduct further research in the field of ecological tourism, such as the 'Ecological Footprint' as a tool for sustainable tourism development. (7) Establish an in-depth and up-to-date data base of the relevant projects worldwide. (8) Create a platform from which to explore the various organizations that support the environment and actively encourage volunteering.
This project is amazing. I loved how it was diverse, with conservation work, teaching young children and also students around my age, and the opportunity to see outreach work. There was still a goo...More
This program is a real conservation and community program. Both targets equally reached. You help identifying the cats, tracking them, counting the other animals... you're fully involved in all ste...More
Did you participate on a program with GoEco - Volunteer Abroad?
Share your thoughts!