Zimbabwe - Orphanage and Teaching in Victoria Falls

Location

Zimbabwe: Victoria Falls

Description

Join us in beautiful Zimbabwe! Your help can make a huge impact! You will volunteer in both the Victoria Falls orphanage and the Monde Primary School.

As a volunteer, your mission is to improve the quality of life of the children, families, and caregivers of the greater Victoria Falls community by educating the children, helping students reach their full potential, and just having fun with them! It's an incredible feeling knowing that you brought just a little bit of happiness to a child whose life is harder than we can imagine.

Volunteer work on this project is greatly needed and much appreciated. In addition to interacting with the orphans and school children, you will have other means of getting involved. Other volunteer duties include the following and vary depending on the timing of your project as well as the needs of the placement:

* General maintenance of the orphanage (i.e. infrastructure, day-to-day maintenance)
* Assist teachers in the classroom
* Provide one-on-one learning opportunities to eager students
* Help teachers create lesson plans
* Contribute fresh ideas
* Introduce fun sporting activities to the students
* Help create sustainable initiatives for the disadvantaged community
* Play a role in the conservation efforts in the Victoria Falls area through conservation education
* Spend time playing games with the children

Highlights

One of the greatest aspects of this volunteer project is the vast number of optional activities, trips, and excursions available to you for an additional cost. In your free time, why not take advantage of the infinite adventures Africa's "adrenaline capital" offers! Helicopter flights over the falls, bungee jumping, white water rafting, horse-back excursions, elephant rides & swims, game drives, gorge jumps, skydiving, canoeing, white water rafting, sunset cruise, Victoria Falls National Park hike, and white water rafting are just some of the many activities available to you.

Excursions such as a weekend trips to neighboring Botswana or a trip to the Antelope park, home of the lion breeding project.

9 Overall Experience

Volunteering in Victoria Falls

I volunteered for two weeks in the "Orphanage and Teaching in Victoria Falls" program last September (2013) and had an amazing experience! There are various projects within the week and I felt that the projects were all important. The projects varied from the orphanage to the preschool, going to the elderly home and even volunteering with lions!

The volunteers came from all over the world and were in all ages and we all worked great together.

Go Eco gave me all the information before I left including suggestions about what to bring. They answered all of my questions and were available before my flight and during my stay in Zimbabwe which was really important to me. They even contacted me when I got back to listen to my feedback.

This was my second time volunteering through Go Eco and I highly recommend this experience!