GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

Zimbabwe - Lion Rehabilitation and Conservation

Review Africa/Zimbabwe/Lion Rehabilitation-Conservation Project by Lori Lacey

When I look back at my experience volunteering on the Lion Project in Victoria Falls, I am in awe of what I did! It was the adventure of a lifetime and one of the best things I have ever done.

Each morning we rose before sunrise and walked the lion cubs for a couple of hours. This was one of my favourite things to do. After breakfast we carried out various chores including cleaning the lion enclosures, preparing their food and administering medication. Some days following lunch and the second lion walk of the day, we would make toys for the cubs and watch them play. Other days we were taught how to carry out research, track animals and identify trees and plants. We had lessons on local culture, history and language.

Days are jammed packed with activities. On Saturdays we visited the Rose of Charity Orphanage and played soccer with the kids. We visited a local village where they proudly showed us how they prepare meals and tend to their crops. As volunteers we helped install special lighting systems that are being put around kraals in the rural communities to discourage potential attacks from wild lions.

One weekend several of us volunteers visited Chobe National Park in Botswana, where we went on a river cruise and game drive. It was an amazing experience getting up close to giraffes, elephants, hippos, impala, kudu, buffalo, crocodiles and warthogs wallowing in the mud.

You cannot leave without witnessing the magnificent Victoria Falls. It is one of the most awesome sights I have ever seen. From here adrenaline junkies can get their fix with zip line, gorge swing, bungee jumping, rafting or swimming with the crocs. My boyfriend and I finally got up the courage on our last weekend to do the Tandem Gorge Swing. Pure adrenaline!! Absolutely terrifying! I actually started screaming on the platform even before we jumped.

I fell in love with the lion cubs, the people, the staff and the country. I made lifelong friends from all parts of the world.

Africa. Amazing. Unforgettable.