GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

South Africa - Monkey & Wildlife Rehabilitation Center

My monkey love confirmed

Ever since I was little, I have loved anything and everything about monkeys. Volunteering with monkeys has always been a dream of mine. When I read about the Monkey & Wildlife Rehabilitation Center project, it seemed ideal for me. Going to South Africa for three weeks and completing the project only confirmed this. I had the time of my life!
Although I have always been crazy about monkeys, I had never had any experience working with them before. While at the Center, I learned so much about different monkey species. I was introduced to wildlife conservation techniques, because that is a really important aspect of providing the best rehabilitation care for the animals. I worked closely with other volunteers in groups to complete various tasks. We did things such as go harvesting, preparing food for the animals, taking the youngest baboons to the river, sitting in the enclosures of the baby monkeys, maintaining the center, caring for the baby monkeys, and monitoring the monkeys.
There was not a dull day at my project. The monkeys always put a smile on my face and provided so much love to all of the volunteers. I made amazing friendships with others from all over the world, which was a unique opportunity on its own.
I was able to do two excursions through the Center: I spent two days at Kruger National Park and also went on a Panorama Tour. These excursions allowed me to discover some of South Africa’s beautiful nature and wildlife.
There are truly only positive things that I can say about my time at the Monkey & Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. Every experience allowed me to grow and to learn something new. The connections that I developed with the monkeys during my time there are unforgettable…I will cherish them in my heart forever!

A Truly Unique Experience

I had an absolutely amazing time at the Monkey & Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in South Africa. The three weeks that I spent there were life-changing for me. I was able to meet incredible volunteers from all over the world and was able to care for different monkey species.
I learned about the basic care and rehabilitation of Vervet monkeys, Chacma baboons, and Samango monkeys. I monitored, fed, and cared for monkeys, learned about conservation techniques, and had an active introduction to wildlife conservation in South Africa. In addition, I contributed to maintaining the center so that it could provide the best rehabilitation for the domesticated and orphaned monkeys. Despite the different backgrounds and cultures of the volunteers, we were all able to work together effectively. By the end of my time, I felt like we had become one big family.
The staff at the center is outstanding. Not only do they work exceptionally hard to provide the best care for the animals, but they also make sure that the needs of the volunteers are met. Through activities such as family meals and weekly “braais,” all of the volunteers at the center get to know one another. The volunteers are divided into different groups that all work together on various chores. Some of the chores include cleaning out the enclosures, feeding, monitoring, harvesting branches and grass, and preparing food for the animals.
One of my favorite aspects of my South African project was “baby day.” On this day, one particular group was in charge of taking care of the baby monkeys. We did things such as feed them milk bottles, spend time in their enclosures, take the baboons to the river, and prepare night boxes. “Baby time” allowed me to develop a connection with the youngest monkeys, which was a really unique opportunity for me.
Whether it was a having a monkey sit on my head or fall asleep in my lap, I will always cherish the special memories that I have of my time at the Monkey & Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. I really had the time of my life!