GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

South Africa - Big Cats Research and Conservation

South Africa Adventure

My experience volunteering in South Africa with the Big Cats Research and Conservation project was absolutely unforgettable. The program was located in the middle of the Thanda Private Game Reserve, and we would go out once or twice a day for three hour research drives and would simply observe and record the behavior of many incredible animals. We got to see lions, elephants, zebras, a variety of antelope, cheetahs...really you name it! The staff were so friendly and welcoming, the food was warm and hearty, and the guides were so knowledgeable - I learned so much! Aside from the research aspect, I met many incredible people from all over the world, many of which I hope will be my lifelong friends. We were able to take weekend excursions to places like the beautiful beaches of Mozambique, and to quaint towns like St. Lucia. If you ever get a chance to volunteer here - DO IT! It is an experience that will be with me for the rest of my life, and now, all I want to do is go back to South Africa. Africa forever has a place in my heart.