GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

Maldives - Sea Turtle Conservation

Days in paradise!!

The three weeks i spent there had been the best weeks of my life The bright skies and the turquoise water were just breathtaking. I was given an opportunity to learn and develop my skills when it came to marine and turtle life along with a group of hard working volunteers.

Waking up in the morning to go to the marine center and feed the turtles was an experience which i can never replace. The team of biologists over there were very dedicated and helped us through every step of the way. They taught us a lot about turtle life and a fair share about marine ecosystems.
Feeding the turtles and caring for them was an amazing experience.

The group always had their hands full with activities planned for them by the team there, we were taken on excursions to nearby islands to relax and snorkel.The vibrant colors underwater is something which just took my breath away and something which I can never forget.

Overall the experience was just mind blowing and was never disappointed at any point during my three week stay, I became friends with a great bunch of people who made my stay even better. I would recommend this volunteer experience to everyone ,it really is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Sea Turtle Conservation in the Maldives

Cliche as it sounds, my volunteer trip to the Maldives was absolutely unforgettable! As soon as I arrived I was taken by the beauty of the islands. To get to the island I was staying, me and two other volunteers took a 3 hour boat ride to get there. It was incredibly calm and relaxing and as soon as we reached the island we were greeted by the Coordinator, Stephie. Everybody involved in the project on the island were the kindest, most relaxed and outgoing people you'll ever meet. Day to day volunteering involved morning shift cleaning tanks and feeding the turtles, breakfast at LuLus, snorkel breaks during down time, lunch, relaxing at the house with the other guests, afternoon feeding, and watching movies before bed. Occasional activities involved inspecting the coral gardens, collecting sea grass, visiting the sea cage, beach cleans, weighing, and weekly excursions to other local islands. Each day I learned something I didn't know before and was full of something different. And the people on the island are so welcoming and the kids always make sure to say hi whenever we walk by. My favorite part of the trip would have to be whenever we weighed and measured the turtles, including the babies. The turtles were so cute and I won't ever forget them! My trip was full of experiences that I'll surely pass on to everybody I meet!

Sea Turtle Rehabilitation - Maldives

My experience taking part in this programme through GoEco was so great! Everything was very easy to organise from start to finish and the advice and response time from the GoEco team before, during and after the project was really great. The volunteering experience itself was also amazing. I got to care for sea turtles whilst also making great friends, helping the community and experiencing a completely different way of life. I would recommend it to anyone :)

Best two weeks in my life

In these two weeks, I had the most amazing experience. I can still remember the first time in my life I touched a sea turtle. The job content was so much fun and was different everyday, sometimes I had to cut the food, sometimes I had to measure their length and weight. Although sometimes I got a little tired from the work, watching the sea turtles swimming in the pool made my tired out all gone. Besides the interesting work, excursions were also amazing. We went night fishing, snorkeling on a uninhabited island. I also met a lot of good friends from all around the world from this trip. If I had a chance, I would really want to go back there again!

Island hopping and turtle saving!

My experience in the Maldives can only be described with positive words, and wonderful memories. Not only did I learn a huge amount about marine life, I also got to work hands-on with sea turtles everyday. The location is breathtaking, and weekly excursions to uninhabited islands gave us a chance to snorkel on some of the most beautiful reefs in the world. I met some amazing people there and along the way discovered my passion for marine biology and conservation. Releasing turtles, educating the locals on the importance of their well-being, and doing beach cleanup a were only a few of the ways the projects contributed to the amazing country of he Maldives.