Go Abroad China participants Go Abroad China participants

Study Chinese at Shanghai Fudan University

Shanghai China--My first abroad Study City

I decided to travel to Shanghai with Go Abroad China for a two week High School Special program after studying Mandarin for a year at school. I felt that it would be a wonderful experience that would broaden my cultural horizons. My time in Shanghai was everything I imagined and more! I arrived nervous, for it was my first time traveling without friends or family who would share in my experience; however, the great Go Abroad China staff really worked to ease my concerns. Upon arrival, I was immediately greeted by an employee Tina and introduced to other students who would be working with me. I was then brought to my home stay, where I was greeted by my cheerful host family, who taught me about traditional Chinese holidays and about everyday life in Shanghai throughout my time with them.
During the first week in Shanghai, our mornings were spent at the Group Study Mandarin Club, where we took lessons in language and culture. Although I already spoke some Mandarin, our teacher taught us about the local dialect, which made me even more comfortable speaking in the city. I was also very interested during the lessons about the daily, traditional, and business components of the Chinese culture. After our morning lesson and lunch at a local restaurant, we went to different types of businesses throughout the city. Throughout the trip, we worked on a presentation for China Linguist, one of the city’s major linguistic companies, which we presented towards the conclusion of the trip. We also visited multiple law firms to learn about the Chinese legal system the differences between western and eastern law.
My free time was filled with visiting local attractions and restaurants. We went to a traditional Chinese Opera show and ate at a hot pot restaurant. My host family took me to their hometown of Leshan to see pandas and the Leshan Giant Buddha. I was able to really immerse myself within the Chinese culture during my free time.
Prior to my arrival, I was uncertain of what to expect from the local food; however, I quickly came to realize, through the urging of both my host family and staff members, that trying the unfamiliar dishes would lead to me finding new favorite dishes. Shanghai food, famous for its special taste, is quite unique, and whenever I find myself missing Shanghai, I go out to eat some.
Overall, my experience with Go Abroad China was phenomenal! The staff really helped to make my experience memorable through working to ease all of my concerns, creating interesting daily agendas filled with both cultural and business-related education, and making me feel at home while I was thousands of miles away.

Semester study at Fudan University with Go Abroad China

Studying abroad in China has changed the course of my life. I can confidently say that Chinese study experience through the Go Abroad China was the best decision I have ever made. While exploring abroad options, I initially thought China would be an unrealistic choice for me. However, after talking to people who studied abroad in the past, I knew I had to experience this for myself. The Go Abroad China made my transition to China extremely painless. Whether it be housing or credit transfers and financial questions, the Go Abroad China staff made sure to help me through every step of the way. I never felt alone or overwhelmed, and I believe it was through their guidance and support that I was able to have the most amazing semester of my life.
From the moment they pick you up at the airport to the moment they drop you off for your flight home, you can rest assured that they will be there for you. After the fact, it is truly hard to put into words how much 4 months can change your life. Having never branched away from my friends before, I made the rash decision to go alone to China. To this day, we all cherish the memories we made on the pre-semester trip, as it was our first time meeting one another. Throughout the remaining four months the countries I visited and the places I saw was absolutely incredible. The teachers in Shanghai Fudan University were lovely. The program attacked reading and speaking simultaneously and gave me a rounded experience and understanding. The intensive Chinese program is a great way to learn Chinese and get an understanding of the fundamental structure of the language. Whether it be local famous scenic spots, or activities held by Go Abroad China team or my Chinese friends, each day was better than the next.
If you are thinking of studying abroad this experience is BEYOND COMPARABLE. No matter the obstacle, Go Abroad China staff will help you along the way and I promise you will have the most incredible four months of your life!

Eye-opening, bittersweet, refreshing, terrifying, transformative

I think my most memorable experience in China was a school trip I took with my classmates to Guilin. The trip began with a 20+ hour overnight train ride from Shanghai to Guilin. Reflecting back on the experience, I realize that even the train ride itself was unforgettable. I still have memories of the cramped beds, the laughter and chatter of my classmates as they feasted on junk food brought for the trip, and the sound of fellow passengers waking up early while the sky was still an inky blanket covering the countryside outside, their conversations in Chinese filling the cabin. When we arrived in Guilin, our professors immediately whisked my classmates and I away to have a typical Chinese breakfast and explore various natural parks and Guilin's urban landscape. The highlight of the trip, though, was our cruise down the Li River. Culturally, this boat ride from Guilin to Yangshuo via the Li River is an a very important one, and for good reason, as the natural landscape raveling down the river stands like something out of an ancient ink brush painting. The day we traveled down this river it was raining heavily, creating a mysterious fog around the soft, rolling mountains edging the water. I will always remember the way it felt to stand on the deck of the boat with the rain pouring down, singing, dancing, and celebrating the moment with my friends by my side.

I chose to study abroad in Shanghai for many reasons, some practical and some spontaneous. For one, I've been studying Chinese for 5 years, and I felt that living in China and exposing myself the the language would be the best way to improve my language skills. Interest in the language, however, was not my only attraction to Shanghai. After nearly three years of a seemingly predictable life at my quiet college in Maryland, I decided I wanted to spend time in a city unlike one I had ever experienced before. I had friends in school who traveled from France to Argentina to Australia and back, and while these destinations are all intriguing in their own rite, I felt that I wanted to live in a culture completely "different" from my own. Shanghai couldn't have been a better place to explore and make memories, and I found that living there was both challenging and rewarding. The city itself has a rich history with layers of stories and buildings to expose its past, all while its contemporary scene is booming and enticing newcomers from different corners of the world.