Go Abroad China participants Go Abroad China participants

Study Chinese at Beijing Language and Culture University

My time in BLCU

Hi, my name is Makea Luzader (鹿梦琦), and I'm from Maryland, USA. I spent the past two semesters in Beijing Language and Culture University in Beijing, China, taking their Intensive Chinese classes, from which I have left with (hopefully) lifelong friends and connections as well as a better mastery of the Chinese language.
Saying that my year in China was life-changing would be making an understatement. During my time there, I met so many amazing people from all over the world who have changed how I view life and my actions. Beijing is an amazing city with countless opportunities and a wide variety of people.
During my time in Beijing, I stayed in my school's dorms for international students. I had classes every day from 8 to 3 with breaks between, and easy access to a wide variety of food in the cafeteria. Despite this full schedule, I had time to interact with other foreign students in my class and Chinese students through orchestra and other activities. I found my time in the dorm great - I had two different roommates whom I could interact with, and we often found ways to help each other. It was also close to my classes, minimizing transport time, and it was easy to get in and out of. The type of accommodation I would recommend depends on the person and what they are expecting from their experience - if one would like to focus mostly on China's culture and be guaranteed a chance to practice the language all the time, a homestay or an apartment shared with Chinese people would be the best.
I selected Go Abroad China because they were the most accepting and company easiest to communicate with. They helped me get settled down and check in my dorm as well as register for classes the first semester when my Chinese wasn't too good and I was overwhelmed by the new surroundings. Their weekly activities also gave me something to do even before I started classes and didn't have anyone from class to go out with.

My year in China was absolutely amazing, and I don't think it would have been possible without the help of Go Abroad China. I would definitely recommend this company to others interested in studying in China or interning in China.

Running Wild, Running Free: Beijing Edition

I go to a small liberal arts college in Ohio. Needless to say, I was really looking forward to getting off campus for a semester, and I had very high expectations when it came to my study abroad experience. I had been to China once before, but I knew this would be different (because I am much older and much wiser, obviously). I arrived in Beijing on January 19th, ready to start my spring semester in a new city. Initially, I was disappointed by BLCU's campus, but I gave it a few weeks, and the dry winter weather turned into lovely spring weather, so the campus bloomed. Not only is the campus gorgeous, the students there are so enthusiastic and friendly. Making friends came easy (and this is coming from an introverted person). The way our classes were set up never gave us a chance in class to meet Chinese students, so to make friends with the Chinese students, my group and I took to the dining halls. The food in the dining halls was good, for the first few weeks. It soon got old, but BLCU's proximity to other eating establishments made dinner an adventure.
The actual program was well run, and the professors were incredible. I was the only language intensive student, so I had the opportunity of having all three Chinese language professors the program offered. Each had a unique teaching style that helped me learn three different ways. The Resident Director and his assistant are two people I now consider friends. They both were always there to help us with problems and answer questions and be our Beijing tour guides. During the spring festival, we made dumplings and watched television programs until two in the morning. The staff were simply amazing and they made me feel comfortable right away.
I was extremely satisfied with my study abroad experience at BLCU. My study abroad group and I still talk, and I made some great friends and memories during my first extended stay in China.

My study and travelling EXPERIENCE IN Beijing

I do enjoy the time I went to Beijing, China to immerse myself in Chinese culture. The Go Abroad China Team is so helpful and warmhearted. They arranged so many fun activities during my spare time. To study abroad, it is tempting and easier to stay with the same people and find activities similar to those in my home country, it is more enlightening and exciting to completely immerse yourself in another culture, which are all about new experiences and trying new things.
The most exciting is that I was able to take part in some activities arranged by Go Abroad China. Although I have travelled lots of places, but China is really different from any other places. We explored places I thought I never would have been able to visit. The excursions allowed me to discover new perspectives and how people from different cities can differ so much. Anyway I was able to discover how another country functions and learn their history. It is great.
Speaking about my study university-BLCU, the environment is really good. The teachers are highly motivated. They are helpful and good at activating the students when in class. Classes are kept small so you get to practice speaking the language a lot.

Finally, I would like to say this experience really met and exceeded my expectations. I can't really say how I have improved in my Chinese language and culture, I've got nothing to compare it to, I've never had an experience like this before! I would strongly advise future students to make the most of their trip and be open-minded.

The Best Chinese Study University with Go Abroad China

If all of these steps had occurred at once, I feel that I would have been very overwhelmed. But Go Abroad China offered the opportunity to make the transition slowly and have an amazing time learning and exploring all throughout the process.
China is the place that I have begun to call my home, where my friends have become family, and my dreams a reality. When we fully EXPERIENCE the world and the wonders it has to offer, we CONNECT with who we are, and DISCOVER who we can be. Throughout the whole process of studying in Beijing Languaguage and Culture University, Go Abroad China was amazing. From the beginning, they answered every single little question I had and made the entire process simple from financial aid to housing to the abroad university I picked, they were there every step of the way. I strongly recommend Go Abroad China to anyone who is thinking about studying abroad! Each of them went above and beyond of what I expected and made our time abroad just like home. Going with Go Abroad China was one of the best decisions I have made during my college career!

Chinese program at BLCU

I went to China for just a short while last year. I was looking for short term programs in China in terms of learning Chinese and Go Abroad China was one of the few agencies I came across and finally started communicating with them. I had a great time in China as a whole but an okay time studying Chinese; in the beginning I did struggle a bit in class. The thing I realized was that they taught at a much faster pace in China and you really need to follow every assignment because it's really easy to fall behind. I was able to make friends pretty quickly in class. With our curriculum, at the beginning of everyday we used to review what we learned the previous day, then move on to new vocabulary for example.
Now realize that the Chinese teaching system is a little bit different from what we are used to back in the US. In my classes at BLCU, we were encouraged to always read out loud, there are times when it felt like being a child again but my teacher always said that hearing yourself read Chinese would help us improve more. Also a large part of learning in China is focused on reciting and memorizing stuff. I hope that my review is able to help somebody because I personally feel that anybody coming to learn in the Chinese style needs to be aware of this.
Studying at BLCU, the classes are absolutely serious. I guess they have to keep that up since I read that BLCU is actually one of the best language schools in China - many foreigners go there to study Chinese.
I remember a had a writing class once a week: every week we had a new topic to write like a story or a little composition: writing about "Myself", "My Favorite Memory" such topics....and yes it was difficult but mandatory to do.
For those looking to study here, I would recommend it because even though some things were hard, but it was only going back to the US that I realized how much improvement I had.

I was lucky enough to live close to school, I lived in a neighborhood right in Wudaokou within walking distance to BLCU but I will admit that living that close to school required a bit more money for rent. The location was really great for a social life, there were tons of other foreigners and I hardly ever felt bored. I will also thank Go Abroad China since they helped me, when I got to Beijing, they accompanied me to go register for my classes at BLCU and with getting me accommodation as close to school a possible.

Learning Chinese at BLCU

After graduating from high school back in the States, I moved to Beijing and was there from the summer of 2015 to summer 2016 to learn Chinese for a year. I got help applying for the program through Go Abroad China; they always spoke to me and my mom and explained a lot of things that I didn’t understand in the beginning.

I didn’t live too far from Wudaokou, that’s where BLCU is. At BLCU, I had many classmates, some were exchange students, others were learning Chinese just like me. Everyday in class we were always told to speak Chinese to each other. My main teacher was Ms Zhang and she taught grammar and oral lessons.

During the weekends I would usually relax with my friends, sometimes the people at Go Abroad China would invite us to go and do something together. The staff from GAC that I met were really pleasant and spoke English well. I actually met several other people during this time and we are still in contact. My Chinese has improved a lot after learning for one year.

Going to China to learn Chinese

My experience learning Chinese? Well I got my foundation from a couple of Mandarin classes per week at university, but as part of my course I found myself needing to go to China to really focus on the language.

I ended up enrolling at the Beijing Language and Culture University, which I later learned that it is one of the best at teaching Chinese language in China. I applied through Go Abroad China; during the planning stages with them, I was drawn to the fact that they would arrange for me to get picked up from the airport, my accommodation would be prepared by them and the whole application process into BLCU was easier with someone there helping me.

I was nervous about studying away from my usual environment, BLCU had its fun times and its tough moments. The class sizes were relatively small, my classmates all foreigners there to study Chinese. I was definitely in one of the beginner classes, but I learned that they arrange different classes depending on your Chinese level. First thing that definitely stood out to me was going to class every day for around 4 -6 hours to learn Chinese, I mean back home it would be half of that per week! Now I’m not a great student but I have always managed to do what is required. At BLCU, my workload definitely increased from what I was used to, but textbooks is nothing to worry about as they will be given to you at school. I will admit that after a while I got my rhythm and started enjoying my classes. I absolutely had fun with my classmates especially with the speaking lessons, as for writing characters, it was tricky to begin with but as my teacher had shared with us, there are all sorts of tricks to use to remember them!

The environment at BLCU: I thoroughly enjoyed it. The campus is not overly large but you get to meet so many people from different countries, (occasionally a few in the same situation as I, having gone through Go Abroad China) prepare to learn about countries you have never even heard of! But seriously, I noticed a big improvement in my spoken Chinese level after a few weeks, probably from all those practice conversations we did in class almost everyday. In that sense I am really happy, my teacher was always really nice to us and made class enjoyable. If I had another chance to return to China I would definitely be back.

Chinese at BLCU

I took the summer program at BLCU for a month organized through Go Abroad China. As a student taking Asian studies in college, part of my requirement was to take time for study abroad. GAC promised to arrange for me and for the large part I am satisfied with their services, getting picked up from the airport, arranging for me to live with a Chinese family a few subway stops from BLCU and having the activity on the weekend. My studies were quite intensive since my time was so short and the end I had exams, a transcript and credit transfer that I had to take back to my college. I have been learning Chinese since my senior year in high school and continued with it even to college, the learning pace in BLCU was faster than what I expected, i had the same teacher for grammar and reading, then listening was twice a week with a different teacher. I really enjoyed my short time in Beijing, I got to try authentic Chinese food and lived with a Chinese family although I noticed Chinese apartments are a little bit smaller than what I expected. I met a lot of other international students joining the same summer program as I did, and I tend to miss BLCU sometimes.