Go Abroad China participants Go Abroad China participants

International Business & Consulting Internship in China

Interning in 北京

When I decided to get an internship in China, it was a big decision for me, but it really turned out great as I had hoped. The company was at a great location, in Guomao and Go Abroad China had organised an apartment from me rather convenient because I traveled for around 40 minutes to work every morning. I know what you are probably thinking...40 minutes on the subway! actually once you understand the city life of Beijing and you see how everybody commutes, it's not a big deal.
Anytime I needed help with something I would speak to a pleasant lady called Nadia from Go Abroad China, and generally it went well.
At my internship, I was at a consulting firm and specifically I was working with a team that dealt with research issues for a local charity. What i learned from my internship is that somebody who works in consulting needs to be a fast thinker, creative and have a lot of knowledge.
Even though sometimes of course the work is hectic but the weekends were a blast. I met some other great people who were also doing internships, I think it was nice that GAC would try to help us all to meet each other!

Internship and Chinese lessons

I came to Beijing for 3 a month Internship because I wanted to improve my career prospects and study Chinese. I have to say that I am very satisfied with my experience and also GAC's assistance. Even though I came in China alone, I knew that there was an organization that could help me with everything: visa, accommodation and also the culture.

Now that I've accomplished an internship in China, I feel way more confident about what I can achieve! Before coming to China, I was afraid of working in a different environment and now I find it pretty exciting! You get to meet people with a different background and you learn so much about yourself! You are constantly challenged by the culture and I think that's what makes your experience so memorable. In addition, I did take some Chinese lessons, and because I was a beginner, I did have to learn Chinese from English. Learning Mandarin Chinese can be difficult at times if I'm being honest but at least it will help you with basic things if you are going to be in China for some months.

Going to Shanghai for my summer internship

After interning in Shanghai and getting help from Go Abroad China, I will also take time to review their program.

Internship: Business field

Overall I think their program is good, once I found out about GAC I spent a lot of time reading about it, so I hope my review can help somebody else. I picked the big package deal which includes the placement, accommodation; somebody was also there to pick me up Shanghai airport. This is the type of stuff they talk about when you are planning to come.

Before I arrived in Shanghai I was interviewed through skype by an HR lady who worked at the internship company and it went smoothly because a few weeks after that I already got a place ticket! Mmm some of the things you need to be aware of when working with Chinese people: from my experience try not to be late, always try to communicate well with your supervisor (you might need her/him to write you a recommendation after your internship is done).

On some weekends, the lady who works for GAC in Shanghai would invite us for dinner, or take us to new places in Shanghai etc such things.
P.S. you can sign up for such activities if you don’t know anything about the city and need to make some new friends to avoid getting lonely. But I still can’t speak Chinese actually.

Personally I had a good experience and learnt from my internship.