Go Abroad China participants Go Abroad China participants

Hospitality, Sports, Tourism &Hotel internship in China

Hospitality internship in Wuxi

My name is Daniela, I study tourism and hospitality management and I am in China for a whole year doing an internship in hospitality as part of my course (it requires spending a year in the field).

I am interning at Millennium Hotel, which is part of the famous Millennium and Copthorne Hotel chains popular in North and South America. I am in the city of Wuxi, in southeastern China, less than an hour from the city of Shanghai. My position is a Guest Relations Officer, and I get to supervise and work together with the front desk everyday, I also ensure the satisfaction of the guests that I am responsible for, I handled logistics of hiring out conference rooms for workshops, meetings and other things that people can book for.

I like dealing with people and customers so I enjoy my job. I am really happy that Go Abroad China was able to organise such a great internship for me, I am learning so much from my time here! I thought the ladies who were helping me were really friendly and helped me a lot before I got interviewed by my supervisor.

I look forward to going back home and graduating from college.

Hospitality internship

I did my internship in Guangzhou in the south of China, I worked mostly at the front desk and attending to the needs of guests. Working at a hotel is great but you need to be fast, very organised and always look happy. At the front desk I was always with two other ladies to attend to queries, make sure guests get their appropriate rooms, book conference spaces and sometimes when there are special dinners to make sure that their private dining rooms are well prepared. I loved my job, the city of Guangzhou was crowded, noisy but interesting to live and work in. During my free time I usually hung out with my colleagues who showed me great shopping and eating spots. I also managed to pick up some Chinese while I was down there, although being back at home I hardly ever use it.
I was fortunate enough that I am fluent in English and Spanish, which was great for my job. Writing this report, I will mention that I went through Go Abroad China, and what was really great is that the hotel provided accommodation onsite - okay it wasn't a hotel suite but a dorm where some other ladies also lived but it was alright.