Globalteer Header Image Globalteer Header Image

Volunteer in Borneo Marine and Turtle Conservation

Whale sharks, reef conservation and fun.

I spent a fantastic month with TRACC near the north tip of Borneo from early January to early February. I camped in a comfortable tent under the trees just in from a beautiful beach. The diving was brilliant, lionfish, nudebranches, rays, a turtle, we even saw a whale shark from the boat! It was really rewarding to be able to help with the reef conservation, it was great to see the marine life colonising artificial reefs other volunteers had put in, and it was great fun making and installing new reefs. The visibility wasn't always fantastic but this was because there was lots of plankton, which is what attracted the whale shark! I think the weather gets better after March. The food was great and we could go body boarding or kayaking, or go to the north tip of Borneo in our spare time.
The people were fantastic, really welcoming, friendly and fun, and I learned loads about marine life, fish ID and coral conservation as well as the problems currently facing sharks. I passed my advanced open water diver and emergency first response courses while I was there.
I would definitely recommend going to anyone who enjoys the sea, you don't have to be a diver, you can take your open water certification when you get there. I wish I had stayed longer!