Peace Corps for Teens

Highlight of my summer!!

I went on my first GLA program (Peru Spanish Service Adventure) when I was going into my Freshman year of High School, this previous summer I went on their Guatemala Service Adventure, and this upcoming summer I am going to their India service program. I have traveled abroad alone with other programs, but none can compare to my GLA experiences. GLA works with you to prepare the family and traveler pre-departure, and does not cease to disappoint throughout your program. The consolers I have had were amazing and all served as great mentors in my life, and the service work done has always been eye opening. GLA enables you to experience a new country in a way unlike no other, I highly recommend.

AMAZING TRIP!

Hi all! I am a Global Leadership Adventures Alumni and I had an amazing time in Peru, this past summer! I really recommend GLA! The housing experience was great! GLA Peru rented out a hotel in Cusco, for both the 2 week and the 3 week groups. I felt very safe there! I had never been to Peru, so I felt that by being there I grew, a lot! I understood much of their culture and what their lifestyles are like. The program staff were very supportive! I felt that I was able to talk to them about whatever I needed, or if I was frustrated with other students! Overall I recommend GLA to all High School age students.

Life Changing Experience-Thailand and Ghana

I can truly say that my life changed for the better upon going on 2 programs with Global Leadership Adventures. My first program was the Cultural Kaleidoscope Thailand trip. My second was the Ghana Children of Africa program. They were amazing experiences. In Thailand I learned so much about the culture and went on so many adventures while I volunteered. It was the perfect trip for me and I would love to go back. I loved Global Leadership Adventures so much that I decided to go back the following year, yet this time to Ghana. In Ghana, I worked primarily with the children and it was absolutely fantastic. Seeing their smiling faces everyday was worth the hard work. I made so many friends, who I still keep in touch with, on both programs. I would go back to either program in a heartbeat and I highly recommend to anyone who is interested to go on one of their trips. It's worth every penny and you won't regret it.

Protecting the Pacific

Although my review comes many months after my program, I can honestly look back on it as one of the best experiences of my life. The friends that I have made, the places that I remember, the people that I now know, and who know me. I went on a surfboard, I saw dolphins and a reef shark. But what's more important than anything, is the amount of people that I met with passions and dreams and ideas that are going to make a difference. I had so much fun at Global Leadership Adventures, but passion and the memories that I had are definitely what I am going to take away.

GLA Bali Land of Discovery

This past summer I was privileged enough to participate in GLA’s Bali Community service program through immersion in the Balinese culture while teaching local grammar school students English. GLA Bali was truly an unforgettable experience as it opened up my perspective to a culture so different than my own and allowed me to take an introspective journey on my own character. Along the way our group became a family, valuing the Balinese saying that “time is relationships” rather than the popular American phrase “time is money.” This saying “time is relationships” is so beautiful in its Balinese context that each individual is important and the relationships you create should be treated with respect, care, and love. My GLA mentors and peers indisputably embodied this phrase in that our relationships with each other and the community we impacted were lasting and meaningful in Bali and in the context of our hometowns. At home I carry the same enthusiasm the Balinese children always brought to the classroom where they were eager to learn English vocab about sports to animals. At home, I stay open-minded and curious like Bali’s rich and unique culture taught me to when I attempted the traditional dance or playing the gamelan. However I long for the same sense of adventure Bali’s unknown wonders gave me while riding elephants, scuba diving, or whitewater rafting. My GLA Bali trip was truly transformative because I brought a piece of their culture home as a part of me and the family that I made with my new friends. I will surely visit Bali again as I can truly call the culture, the community, and GLA my second home.

My Change

I am a typical Chinese girl. I said " typical" because i think a typical Chinese high school student is a student who has a lot of homework and pressure everyday and rarely go outside to see the world. I feel bored about this life, especially when i decide to study abroad and know how American students live in my age. Then i decide to see the world and practice my spoken English through GLA. I was at first very nervous because this was my first time to travel to another country alone, speaking a different language(China is not an English speaking country). I was even afraid that I can't understand people talking. However, the students and teachers are so nice and patient. Actually I am very shy. Sometimes i just sat aside listening and saying nothing. But they always wanted me to join their conversation. They may ask me "what is this like in China?" or "What's your opinion?" I felt warm. And Ghanaian people are very friendly. They greet everyone, whoever you are. We built a compost toilet, which can help about 30 people there. I was surprised by our efficiency: we used less than two weeks to build the toilet. when i knew that this toilet is the 40th toilet Dougle, our teacher who has been in Ghana for 7 years, made. I really admire him for his kindness. We also met an old grandmother who set up a school there. I was moved that so many people are helping people and doing charity in the world. They are so near me, inspiring me. That was the first time I felt i want to help someone so badly. I thank GLA so much to let me make my first white and black friends and let me go out of China alone. I hope I can go to more places and help more people.

Costa Rica - Protecting the Pacific

For this past summer, i went to Costa Rica for 2 weeks to do the GLA program "Protecting the Pacific". At first, I was extremely nervous since it was the first time I was travelling to a different country alone and that i would be with people i never met before. However now, i can say that i should have been scared of nothing since the experience was the best thing i ever had in my life. I knew that I would have a good time but i never expected falling in love with the country and being passionate of certain things. The people I have met and the accommodations have all been quite lovely and in the end, the whole group seemed like another family to me. Not to mention, the country is extremely beautiful with it's exotic wildlife and pristine beaches. Everyday was a new experience and activity that was not only fun but usually helped the community which makes it even more amazing in my opinion. We did things like paint the school walls, cleaned up beaches and whatnot. Also not to mention, activities like surfing, zip-lining and playing soccer with the local community. Cheesy as it seems, the whole trip changed my perspective on life and what I want to do in the future and I would go back if I could. I highly recommend this program for others to take it because not only do you travel to a different country but you also get to meet some of the best people ever and be immersed by a whole new culture. It's incredible.

Bali- The Land of Discovery

This past summer I traveled to Bali, Indonesia, and I can easily say this was the best experience I have ever had. I was honestly a bit nervous to travel halfway around the world and spend the next 3 weeks with a bunch of random high school students. I did not know who they were, what they would be like, or if they would even like me. But I am so glad I took the chance. Part of the reason I chose Bali was for a different cultural experience and to volunteer with young children. I became so emerged in the Balinese lifestyle and culture that by the time I went home to the U.S. saying "da da" instead of goodbye. The people that I met on my trip were incredible, and I am still in contact with the majority of the group. I have met some of my life-long best friends and I know we will meet up in the future. Everyday we did something adventurous; ranging from scuba diving, sunset boat ride, swimming at black sand beaches, surfing, going to an elephant safari park, white water rafting, karaoke, to visiting temples that have such significant cultural ties to the Balinese. We even participated in making offerings, praying, learning a traditional dance, wood-carving, and to play the gamelan. Everyday I think about my experience and how it has influenced my values and morals. Yeah it probably sounds cheesy saying that I came back "a whole new person", but my perspective and outlook on life has really changed ever since I returned home to the States. My favorite part was seeing the smile on the Balinese children's faces. Volunteering at a local English camp was extremely fun and the kids enjoyed our presence. We were put into groups of 4 or 5 and rotated between art, classroom, and games. I have never met children so eager and enthusiastic to learn. I don't think I could thank my GLA staff in Bali enough for the wonderful experience that they gave me. They taught me more than I ever expected to learn about myself and what is really important in life. The most important lesson was time is relationship. I hope one day I can return to Bali and be reunited with my Balinese family #YOBO (You only Bali once)!!!

Building A Sustainable World- Dominican Republic

In the beginning, when I signed up for a GLA trip, I only wanted to volunteer abroad to travel and get in some community service hours. However, the trip changed my life forever. In one of the communities we were working in, many of the children tried to help us shovel and sift sand to cement their floors. We all played with the little kids, but there was one little girl in particular who I became friends with. She was named Maddie and was around 6 years old. At some point, she pulled me aside and began to do my hair, asking her mother if she could use their hair-ties and hair brush in my hair, which her mom hesitantly complied to. Once she was finished, and we were about to leave the community for that day, I asked her if she wanted her hair tie back, but she said no and kept giving it back to me. Although this seems like just a kind gesture to some, to me it meant the world. Maddie was a little girl who had so little, and yet was so kind and generous. In this moment, I felt the need to forever give back to her and others people in similar situations. Meeting Maddie and other Dominicans was a humbling experience. I learned so much from them, along with my amazing GLA counselors who often shared stories and knowledge from their past service trips with organizations like the Peace Corps.. In 3 weeks I made life-long friends who made me laugh everyday while at the beach, hiking, cliff jumping, or just playing cards. My experience in the Dominican Republic changed what I want to study in college to International Development with a concentration in Latin America, and it changed what I want to do in the future. It was truly an unforgettable experience that I am forever grateful for.

Ghana- the story of my life-changing experience

Ever since I was 8 years old I have had this dream of moving to Ghana in order to start an organization of my own to help improve overall living conditions. Staying in Ghana made my dreams feel possible to achieve. I would never grow tired of life there. The people are so loving, the food is delicious, the views are breathtaking and the children have the biggest smiles. My volunteer group included three boys and two girls, which is a very small group for GLA considering most groups consist of 15-30 kids. Having only 4 other people in my group made me enter the experience a little nervous because I am typically a shy person. However to my surprise I broke out of my shell in the first day! My group members were hilarious and always had me laughing, Kendall and Dougall were great leaders who always were making sure we were having a good time, and the staff on site were the best people I have ever met. The GLA staff as a whole were so happy and energetic. They were so amazing words can not describe them. Not only were the local staff welcoming, the community as a whole was so loving. Children run up to you, give you hugs, high fives and always want to play with you. The elders in the town share their knowledge with you about the customs which educates you about how they live and their traditions. The town is gorgeous and Meet Me There, the lodge you stay at, is right on the beach so the view is amazing and the lagoon where we can swim after work is so refreshing.I honestly can't put my experience into words as much as I try. I can go on and on about how wonderful it was but it is something that has to be done first hand. My advice to you is to try it, you will love it, there is no doubt in my mind you will not love Ghana.

Best Decision I Ever Made

I traveled to Peru last summer with Global Leadership Adventures for 3 weeks on the Service in the Sacred Valley program and was completely blown away by the experience. I hadn't done a trip without knowing anyone going into it, so I came into the experience more than a little nervous and wary. But GLA exceeded all of my expectations. I felt completely safe and secure at every moment, and that was a big deal to me. The accommodations on the trip were great and the mentors on the trip were absolutely fantastic. Right from the start, I felt welcomed and supported, and as the trip went on I only grew more in awe of how cool they were. I looked up to them so much, and this fall one of my mentors even wrote a college recommendation for me. The other great aspect was they really take leadership, adventure, and cultural immersion seriously, almost as much as they do meaningful service work. Yet the other students were what made my trip truly exceptional. Before the trip, my friend who had done GLA Costa Rica told me that GLA attracts really cool people and I was going to make some really great friends, and that proved so true. Somehow I was lucky enough to get to explore Peru with 30 of the coolest, nicest, funniest people I had ever met. Lasting friendships just formed instantly and I'm so grateful for the friends I made on my trip.
As I look at my opportunities in the future, I really don't know how anything could top my trip with GLA last summer, and as I look back on my time in Peru, I wish every day I could go back and relive it over and over again. I highly recommend this program to everyone and I promise you won't regret going.

Service in Peru's Sacred Valley

Hello everyone! I was in the GLA Peru: Service in the Sacred Valley 3-week program. I feel that Global Leadership Adventures created a perfect balance of worthwhile service work and adventures that immersed us in the Peruvian culture. My group's service project focused on building the foundation to a greenhouse (the rest of the greenhouse was completed by the 3-week group that followed us) and I feel that while this project was a definite impact on the village we worked in, it also had an immense impact on developing leadership and problem-solving skills among all of the students. A major challenge was figuring out a system of transporting huge rocks up a hill and into place to form the walls of the greenhouse. With the help of our mentors and other locals, we broke up into teams and quickly built up the wall with amazing speed. The activities we did every day were unique and forced us out of our comfort zone to figure out new ways to achieve our goals. The mentors and students were supportive, dedicated, and hard-working people that all wanted to contribute to my group's success, and by meeting so many different people, I learned to look at the world in different ways also understood what I want to do in the future. At the end of my trip, I felt that I had made a definite impact on the village I worked in, and also that my worldview and understanding of problems faced by developing communities was deepened. I definitely recommend Global Leadership Adventures to anyone interesting in making a change while immersed in another culture.

For more information, you can visit their website at www.experiencegla.com or you can search "GLA Peru" in Facebook to read more about the trip and have questions answered from GLA Alumni.

Experiencing Mayan Culture in Guatemala

This past July, I volunteered in Guatemala for two weeks with Global Leadership Adventures. Let me start by saying that this program is amazing! The process of registering for a program is made very easy and there are always people available to answer questions. GLA provides information about fundraising, travel arrangements, packing lists, possible vaccinations, items participants can bring as donations, and further reading material about each country. Teens can choose from a variety a locations all the way from South America to Africa to Asia. I volunteered in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala for two weeks. Quetzaltenango is a rural town located near the mountains in Guatemala. Out hotel was on the side of a mountain and provided modest yet comfortable accommodations. Each room held three-five people and we all shared a few communal bathrooms. Our project consisted of volunteering at a school painting and repairing walls. We were allowed to play with the kids each day for about an hour during their recess. Each afternoon, we participated in different cultural activities. We visited Mayan ruins, learned salsa dancing, visited a weaving shop and a pottery shop, learned how to play the traditional marimba, met a local woman and her family who made chocolate from real cacao beans, and took a quick trip to the hot springs. Almost every minute was planned and we were always busy, however, there was down time each day to take a quick nap or play games. Over the weekend, we visited more towns, took a boat ride over the lake, and shopped at a huge indigenous craft market. I love that GLA focuses not only on volunteering but also on experiencing local cultures. Each participant will walk away with different memories but everyone will walk away a more well-rounded, cultured individual.

Guatemala: Children of the Maya

Initially signing up for a trip with Global Leadership Adventures I was kinda hesitant, as traveling to a foreign country on your own can be somewhat nerve-wracking. The whole time, however, from signing up to when I landed back home, the Global Leadership Adventures staff was supportive, organized, and encouraging. I immediately became very close with the other 25 teenagers on my trip and in just the two short weeks I made lifelong friendships. Everyday at service we got to paint and cement a local school then play with the children during their recess and every second of it was extremely valuable. By interacting with the locals, volunteering, and participating in cultural activities, I not only learned so much about them, but also myself. This trip truly planted core values within me, taught me what I wish to do with my life, and ultimately changed me as a person. Seeing, living in, and volunteering in a place very different from what I was used to really opened my mind, and although I went there to help them, they ended up teaching me way more than I could have ever imagined. Everyday I wish I could be back in Guatemala because it was such a great experience. So please, if you are interested in going at all, do it. You'll never regret it.

I would highly reccomend the trip!!

I would recommend Global Leadership Adventures to anyone. I had so much fun and learned a lot of valuable lessons. I would love to volunteer abroad for the rest of my life because of this trip.
This program was the perfect mixture of adventure and service. We spent 2 days building a bottle school in Carabella, 2 days building a bottle school in Las Canas, one day picking up trash in La Grua, and one day hiking Bryson and planting trees near the top. In Carabella, The locals were more distracting us while we were working there and had a big system of dependency because of the other organizations that went there and just handed them items. Here I had learned the true meaning behind the quote, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." We built the bottle school so that the people of that community would be able to use it for a while. I learned another important lesson in La Grua who hadn't been given products by these other organizations. The kids here were obviously sick and had pot bellies because they didn't have clean water. Even after all of this, these kids were so happy. The had almost nothing, but were the most joyful kids I have ever met.
Don't worry, we did have some fun activities too! We ziplined into the lagoons and jumped off cliffs. We also went on a boat and snorkeled there.
We did have some free time back at the home and there we learned plenty of new card games, swam in the pool, visited the beach (which was a minute away) and played odds are.
I made meaningful relationships with the Dominicans and my GLA family. I really had the best time and would highly suggest that if you were thinking on volunteering abroad with Global Leadership Adventures, then you should absolutely do it. It was the best 10 days of my life.

Exploring into a New Culture

Global Leadership Adventures is a wonderful program that allows high school students to travel abroad and experience a new culture. Through GLA, I was able to travel to Cuzco, Peru for two weeks. Our service project while in Cuzco was to help create a greenhouse for a local school. During our service days, the children would sometimes even dance and put on a show for us to express their gratitude toward us. It was very heartwarming to know that just by helping create this greenhouse, you were helping all of these children's lives. Also at the hotel we were staying was introduced with new culture. It was not a brand new and fancy hotel, but it was traditional and normal to be located in Cuzco. GLA had personally had the entire hotel just for GLA programs. It was a nice touch to the trip. Besides service, we were taken on many adventures. We were given the opportunity to see a llama farm, take a tour of downtown Cuzco, and even hike to Machu Picchu. Machu Picchu is wonderful. It should definitely be on everyone's bucket list. The best part of traveling to Machu Picchu was the hike. The hike allowed you to see some breathtaking views. We even got to sleep under the stars. Don't worry we didn't have to carry tents and food. When we arrived at our destined stop there were men there ready to serve us. The entire trip was amazing. I honestly would recommend it to anyone interested in volunteering abroad. GLA makes it all very possible for you to have a great experience.

Learning New Culture

My trip through Global Leadership Adventures was overall an amazing experience. Peru itself is beautiful. We were lucky enough to experience a breath taking hike to Machu Picchu. Also while we were building greenhouses for a local school, during we would get to play soccer with the children during our break times. The hotel we were living in was amazing. We had the entire hotel just for everyone part of the program. The staff was also great. They were very welcoming and made a great effort to get to know everyone better. I felt completely safe and had tons of fun. It was a great experience to see different parts of the world and to be able to help others.

Amazing Opportunity for High School Students

This past summer, I went on a service trip to the Dominican Republic through Global Leadership Adventures. It was, to say the least, life-changing. I've always had a passion for helping those in need, and this trip solidified that desire even further. It was definitely a change in the kind of service work I'd been doing. This goes way beyond food drives or any other community work. It's a hands-on, interactive experience that clearly made a lasting impact on the villages. Over the course of my ten days in the Dominican, I helped to build a bottle school, participated in trash cleanups and reforestation projects, and learned how to live with less. The bottle school was such a unique project. The structure has 6 rooms, and the walls are filled with plastic bottles to promote sustainability. Once it's finished, it'll be the largest one in the world. Part of it will be used as a medical clinic, while the other part will be used as a school. We got to work side by side with the villagers, which shows Global Leadership Adventures' true passion in helping out the right way. Instead of directly giving food and clothes, which causes dependency, I learned that teaching a man how to fish is helping him to help himself. Upon arriving back home from the Dominican, I was inspired to immediately start service again and continue making a difference.
When I say that I learned to live with less, I mean the living conditions helped me to realize how privileged I am. One of the program's directors believes that living like the locals is the only way to understand them. Despite the basic dorms we lived in, with their mosquito nets and open windows, we were still one step above the locals, as we had running water and toilets. Even though it took a day or two to get used to base camp, it made the experience so much more genuine.
I highly recommend travelling with Global Leadership Adventures. Stepping outside of your comfort zone could not be more worth it.

Like No Other

I came into the program at Peru believing I would spend time volunteering abroad, meeting locals, and hiking a trail to Machu Picchu. Well, I was correct. But to state that those actions were the bulk of my adventure would be an insult to how much Global Leadership Adventures has impacted my life. We did build a greenhouse for a local school, we did visit an orphanage and help locals sort quinoa, we did hike a 15-mile trail full of wonder, only to see more wonder at the place of the ancient Incan civilization. However, I came back home with so much more than an experience to culture and beauty. Global Leadership Adventures has completely turned my life around- no longer obsessed with success or achievement, but obsessed with passion and wonder for the world. Being able to see the faces of the young schoolchildren when we played soccer with them, or gazing at the Milky Way at our campsite to Machu Picchu, I could not have been more overwhelmed with joy. I still tell my friends every day about Peru, and it has been 4 months since the program ended. I still read the 50 pages of my GLA journal full of scribbles and crude sketches, I still talk to the wonderful people I have met in the journey, I still can't stop thinking of my experience everyday. GLA made sure we were safe; they take a lot of precaution and stick to their 5-Point Safety System. I am a vegetarian, but the food at home base could accommodate my needs perfectly. This really is the program that changed my life, and I will never forget it. I am forever thankful to Global Leadership Adventures, my mentors, and all the people I have met along the way.

Guatemala Children of the Maya

Over this summer I traveled to Guatemala with the program Children of the Maya. My experience was one of the best I have ever had! Between the Guatemalan children, adventuring experiences, and meeting the other volunteers, my trip was filled with fun. We hiked a mountain, learned to make chocolate, and created unbreakable e bonds with each other. I suggest traveling with GLA to any teens who want to make a change in the world. This experience is worth every penny and will stay with you forever.

Galapagos and Tanzania

Galapagos:
At the age of 15, sitting in my basement, hot chocolate in hand happy to be isolated from the frigid Canadian winters, I came across Global Leadership Adventures. I secretly had the desire to travel to the Galapagos islands, and presenting the trip to my parents was a decision that changed my life.
I remember leaving the Airport in Quito, is was dark and raining, and I was walking with 17 strangers towards a bus. It was the start of an amazing adventure. My Galapagos most certainly pushed my far outside my comfort zone, but that was why I was there. Volunteering abroad with people you've never met was intimidating, as a Canadian who had never traveled internationally. But in no time the Galapagos Islands felt like home.
On the islands we volunteered pulling invasive species that were choking out the land tortoises natural food. It was hard work and my hands grew tired, but being able to look back over the wilderness we helped clear was a rewarding feeling. We also volunteered painting a local primary school. There were very few students, but once in a while we got a peak of the smiling faces.
The adventures we had on the islands I will never forget. Hiking up a volcano, snorkelling with huge sea turtles, travelling to isolated beaches with sea lions resting feet away, the whole place felt magical. My favourite part was swimming with sharks. Two large peaks rose high from the water creating a large passage between, which we floated down. Shadowy figures slithered below, and a brave few people dove down to get a closer look.
If you are looking for a program with just the right mixture of volunteering and adventure, this is the program for you!

Tanzania:
Because I had such an amazing time in the Galapagos, I knew I needed to sign up for another trip. This time I wanted a volunteer trip that was more community, culture, and people based. The Tanzania: Heart and Soul of Africa fit perfectly.
We volunteered at the Himo-Korona Primary School in the mornings, teaching english and planting fruit trees. It is hard to explain all the emotions that swirled inside me when I saw the school for the first time. Despite their lack of resources, the kids i taught were the happiest bunch I have ever met. It was empowering seeing how grateful these students are for an education, something we take for granted in the Western World.
We also did some amazing activities like batik art, danced with a local dancing crew, wandered the village with our host families, bargained for fabric, and visited a local orphanage. As a nature lover, I will never forget the safari weekend, especially the Ngorongoro Crater. The crater teemed with wildlife who weren't afraid of coming close, like elephants, zebra, wildebeest, hyena, ostriches, and of course lions.
I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to experience a new culture, and take part in meaningful service work.

Overall my two trips with Global Leadership Adventures were life-altering. I think every high-school student should take part in volunteering abroad, because you can learn so much about both the world and your self. I know I will never look at the world the same. Anyone considering either of these trips, do it, I can guarantee you won't regret it.

Galapagos and Tanzania Experience!

Galapagos:
If someone had of told me next summer I would be sitting on a beach under the stars in the Galapagos islands I would not have believed them. I remember watching a documentary about the Galapagos one day in my basement, hot chocolate in hand and grateful to be hidden away from the Canadian winters when I came across Global Leadership Adventures. Showing the trip to my parents was a decision that changed my life.
My Galapagos volunteer trip was amazing. As a kid from Toronto who had never traveled internationally, Global Leadership Adventures was extremely helpful for me (and I suppose even more so for my parents) in walking me through every step of the process until I found myself standing in the Galapagos with 17 strangers (who soon because close friends). On the islands we helped pull invasive plant species that were choking out the land tortoises natural food. We also helped sand and paint a local primary school. The service was very rewarding, being able to look back at the area of wilderness in which the invasive plants no longer grew, or seeing the school with a fresh new paint job and smiling children brings a certain satisfaction, that you know you played a small part in making the world a better place.
Even though this trip was two years ago, I can still vividly remember the adventures we had. We hiked a volcano, snorkelled multiple times with huge sea turtles, sea lions, fish or every colour, and even saw a massive sting ray, or simply got to explore the tiny town on Isabella island. But I must say the best part was when we snorkelled with sharks. Two large rocks jutted out of the water forming a massive passage between, and as we floated on the surface shadowy figures slithered below us. The ability to come in such close proximity with the wildlife on the Galapagos islands is like no other. It you love nature and wildlife, volunteering, and adventure, this is the program for you!

Tanzania:
I had such an amazing experience with Global Leadership Adventures that I had to go on another trip. But this time I wanted a program which was more community, culture, and people based. Tanzania: Hear and Soul of Africa was the perfect fit. Once again the local and international staff were amazing, and I felt right at home from the minute I was greeted by smiling faces at the airport. All the students and mentors lived in a gated in compound, 6 to a room and with a common eating area, were all our delicious meals were home cooked.
We volunteered at the Himo-Korona Primary School, teaching english and planting fruit trees. I can't explain how I felt the first time when our bus pulled up to the school. Kids rushed out of their classrooms with smiling faces peering over each other to get a look at us. The school itself lacked the resources us in the western world take for granted. Desk and benches were old and worn down, paper and pencils were scarce, not to mention they had no electricity. Nonetheless the kids I had the pleasure of teaching were the happiest bunch of students I have ever met. Everyone developed such strong relationships with their students in such a short time that tears filled everyones eyes when it came time to leave.
We also did some activities such as batik art, danced with a dancing crew, walked through the village with our host families, hiked to a waterfall, and my personal favourite, the safari weekend. Visiting the Ngorongoro is something I will cherish forever. We got up-close encounters amazing wildlife like elephants, zebras, wildebeest, buffalo, and of course lions!

Overall my experience with Global Leadership Adventures has been a life-altering adventure. Volunteering abroad is something I think every high-shoold student should do. "The best way to find yourself is to loose yourself in the service of others" -Gandhi. I think this quote says it all, volunteering abroad with like-minded students opens up your outlook on life in so many ways, and you can learn amazing things about not only the world, but yourself.
To anyone reading this, just do it, I can guarantee you won't regret it.

Costa Rica and Peru

In spring of 2012, one of my close friends suggested that I travel to Costa Rica with her through a GLA program. Although I hadn't heard much about it, I took her advice and we embarked on our 10-day adventure together. Needless to say, it was incredible. We met up with other students in their GLA t-shirts as we ventured from airport to airport and were able to bond over our fear/excitement. By the end of a week and a half trip, we had become a family. Through our community service, eating every meal together, adventurous trips, and leadership activities, we grew as a team and helped each other out whenever we could. I ended up learning more about myself than I thought possible.

The following summer my friends and I were dying to plan our next GLA trip. We decided to be a little more adventurous and signed up for the three week Service in the Sacred Valley trip to Peru. It was nice to have a previous GLA trip under my belt, but each trip is extremely unique. The weather was different, the housing was different, the service was different. This was the trip that pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to grow even more. Our community service project was to build a greenhouse and each day we worked our bodies as hard as we could to get that project done. In the end, it was so rewarding to see our hard work come together. We went on so many incredible adventures from whitewater rafting to camping to hiking to visiting Machu Picchu. Some of the sights we saw were so amazing I couldn't believe my eyes.

I would highly recommend GLA to prospective volunteers that want to get to know another country. My sister has been looking at what trip she wants to go on and I always tell her friends to get involved. On my second trip I traveled with a friend who had never done GLA before and now she says her biggest regret is that she didn't start earlier so she could go on multiple programs. These trips teach you important life skills and allow you to see the countries through the eyes of the locals, not just as a tourist. My trip to Peru made me realize the importance of language and I am now working on becoming fluent in Spanish. Additionally, my experiences allowed me to write fantastic essays for college applications.

GLA Ghana: Building Healthy Villages

I can honestly say going to Ghana was the best experience of my life so far, and Global Leadership Adventures was an excellent company to make arrangements. GLA is unique in that it's a "three-in-one" program. You get to learn crucial leadership skills, volunteer abroad, and live in a village while experiencing culture in an irreplaceable way - it truly changes your outlook so that when you return home, you become more aware of your presence as well as your surroundings. As far as logistics go, GLA provides families with a travel agency and a recommended flight to take. From the second we arrived in the Accra airport, we were warmly welcomed by our mentors and our in-country host, who also owned the lodge we stayed at. I have never participated in a program that put me in contact with so many amazing and inspiring people. Accommodations were perfect, had all the necessary safety measures, and even had plenty of ways to relax with your group mates or perhaps the new people you met after a fulfilling day at the work site. No matter where you go, the project GLA sets up makes a very real difference in the community you live in and beyond. Almost everyone in my group agreed that one day, he/she would like to do similar work or even make the same trip back to Ghana. After working for a few hours in the morning, the groups usually take a day trip, do leadership activities, or listen to a guest speaker to learn more about the village or the country of the program. At night, after some free time, our mentors encouraged us to reflect or to ask questions about the day's events. Everyone in my group made good use of the journal GLA provides, trying to capture as many details as possible to bring back home. Words do not do justice to how much I'd like to live through this experience again. I encourage you to think about applying for a GLA program - it will be well worth it!

My Incredible Journey to Costa Rica

Hello everyone, my name is Dylan Sanders, and I hail from New York City. Last summer, I attended a Global Leadership Adventures program entitled Costa Rica: Nature's Kaleidoscope, now renamed Empowering Rainforest Communities. At the time, I was coming out of freshman year in high school, and all traveling I had ever done was with family or friends, never alone. Over the course of that year, now disillusioned with sumer camp, I had been searching for something new and exciting to do, and GLA fit the bill perfectly. Upon discovering the organization, doing loads of research, and talking to many a contact over the phone, I decided to enter into a program, and I was not disappointed. The staff at GLA are great people, they're extremely helpful, almost always reachable, and really kind. They made preparation really easy, and had loads of useful materials to help me learn about my destination, as well as prepare for journeying alone, living without family, etc.
When in Costa Rica, I can most certainly say that I had just about the best two weeks of my entire life. After recovering from the initial shock of living in the middle of the rainforest, in extremely rustic living conditions very different from my New York City, I came to love the place, and quickly grew to think of it as my home. This was the first time I had traveled alone, and more importantly lived with complete and total strangers for any period of time, and so I had no clue what to expect. By the second day, however, we had already developed strong bonds, and a great game of soccer in the pouring rain only helped to strengthen them. Over the course of the trip, these bonds between all of the students as well as the mentors only got stronger, and by the end of the program we had come to resemble a massive family, all of whom loved one another. The service we did was incredible as well. We first worked planting trees in deforested areas to support the green tunnel project, a project that worked to build and expand on the lush rainforest so as to grant many animals their homes once again. Along with this, we also did service at a local school, installing signs and playing with the local children. In the second location we stayed, we worked to clear and build trails in the dense cloud forest, to serve explorers and scientists to come after us. Although hard, our service was extremely rewarding, and also extremely fun. Along with service, the program was full of amazing activities and excursions. We hiked through the forests, swam in waterfalls, climbed an active volcano, and ziplined through the canopy, along with many other amazing experiences.
On the topic of safety, I have never been in more capable and safe hands as GLA. The organization as a whole has developed a 5-point safety plan, and works to uphold it's values constantly, making sure that every part of the journey is as safe as it is fun. On my program specifically, there were two extremely capable and amazing mentors who helped to make the program as safe as it could possibly be, while keeping it exciting and amazing.
All in all, if you want to experience something unlike any other, something amazing and exciting and fun, I advise that you make sure to do a GLA program. No matter where you choose to go, you will not be disappointed, and I assure you that you will have the time of your life!