Global Leadership Adventures Header Image Global Leadership Adventures Header Image

GLA Caribbean: Beachside Service Adventure (for Teens)

An amazing experience

GlA has been a great experience for my daughter. She learned a lot about the Dominican Republic culture and the challenges the community faces there while having an opportunity to make a lot of new friends and enjoy the beautiful island. It was amazing to see how much she matured in a short time and how much her view of the world has broadened since that trip. We are already planning her next trip to Belize.

I would defiantly recommend GLA to anymore who is looking to travel abroad!

Earlier this summer I went on the 10 day beachside service adventure in the Dominican Republic! Since I was little I've always wanted to travel abroad and help those in need, and the Dominican was an amazing place to do that. As we were there we did many things some such as in a Haitian community named Caraballo we made soccer goals and helped paint baseball dugouts, and a fence around the bottle school previous groups finished. Also we mixed lots of cement for the back wall of the bottle school in Las Canas, and helped finish a bottle school in La Grua. While we were at the work sites we didn't only work we also danced and played soccer and games with the kids! You grow a tight bond with the kids there, and in the little time you're with them they make a big impact on your life. Yes we worked a lot but working isn't the only thing we did we got a couple days off and on those days we went cliff jumping and zip lining into a lagoon at a place called DuDĂș! Also we went snorkeling at Sosou Beach, and went to Cabarete Beach! The Dominican was amazing and my experience was so life changing! The adults and kids there have so little but they are so happy and outgoing, and in my opinion I think that is truly amazing! So anyone who is looking to travel abroad I would defiantly suggest going with GLA you won't regret it!

Amazing Experience!!

GLA is an excellent program to travel and volunteer with! I participated in the ten day beach side service adventure in the Dominican Republic, and it was everything I had hoped for and more. I had the opportunity to collaborate with other motivated teens, while completely changing my perspective on the world. I was able to exercise and improve my leadership skills through providing service to the communities there, as well as partake in a number of fun excursions. I never felt unsafe or in danger, and the food provided was delicious and filling.

The trip offers eye-opening days of service in addition to an exploration of the country's terrain and culture. Every day presented new learning opportunities that arose as we began to have a better understanding of the work we were doing and how it would affect the communities we were in. We worked on constructing two buildings, a clinic and a school, that were built using recycled bottles. We also picked up trash in one community and planted cacao and coffee trees in another. Each task that we completed had a well thought out plan behind it, and the end result would prove to be sustainable and beneficial to the Dominican and Haitian people in years to come.

On the other side of the equation, the trip also involved a number of fun activities outside of the service oriented aspect of the trip. We went to the beach almost everyday, and we went cliff jumping and zip lining into a lagoon. One of the greatest things I took away from the trip were the friendships that were sparked that I still have today. I met some truly inspiring young people that shared my passion and excitement for global travel and exploration.

Overall it was an amazing experience, and I recommend it to all teens looking for a great way to spend their summer!

Dominican Republic Beachside Service Adventure

Global Leadership Adventures was such an amazing experience! I was a little nervous going in because I had never traveled alone before, but I felt so safe at the home base that I would recommend it to anyone who fears being homesick. I traveled on the Beachside Service Adventure 10 day program to the Dominican Republic and I can honestly say it was the best 10 days of my life. The service was eye opening and inspiring, the activities adventurous and food delicious! I was very comfortable with the staff of Global Leadership Adventures, for they are very well trained and lots of fun! I recommend this service program to anyone who anyone who wants to make a difference in the world while having a great time and making some life long best friends!

Global Leadership Adventures Dominican Republic

I had the most amazing time on my 10-day trip to the Dominican Republic last summer! The staff and other students were so nice, helpful, and inspiring. The locals I met were absolutely lovely people with a vibrant culture, and it was an amazing feeling to know that I left having made a positive impact on their community. I highly recommend this trip to any high school student with a passion for learning and human rights. I loved this trip and program so much that I'm returning to the Dominican Republic with Global Leadership Adventures this April! I can hardly wait!

A fun and exciting trip!

Review

I would recommend Global Leadership Adventures to anyone. I had so much fun and learned a lot of valuable lessons. I would love to volunteer abroad for the rest of my life because of this trip.
This program was the perfect mixture of adventure and service. We spent 2 days building a bottle school in Carabella, 2 days building a bottle school in Las Canas, one day picking up trash in La Grua, and one day hiking Bryson and planting trees near the top. In Carabella, The locals were more distracting us while we were working there and had a big system of dependency because of the other organizations that went there and just handed them items. Here I had learned the true meaning behind the quote, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." We built the bottle school so that the people of that community would be able to use it for a while. I learned another important lesson in La Grua who hadn't been given products by these other organizations. The kids here were obviously sick and had pot bellies because they didn't have clean water. Even after all of this, these kids were so happy. The had almost nothing, but were the most joyful kids I have ever met.
Don't worry, we did have some fun activities too! We ziplined into the lagoons and jumped off cliffs. We also went on a boat and snorkeled there.
We did have some free time back at the home and there we learned plenty of new card games, swam in the pool, visited the beach (which was a minute away) and played odds are.
I made meaningful relationships with the Dominicans and my GLA family. I really had the best time and would highly suggest that if you were thinking on volunteering abroad with Global Leadership Adventures, then you should absolutely do it. It was the best 10 days of my life.

Eye Opening Experience

On Day 1 of my Dominican Republic Trip I had no idea what to expect. Throughout the ten days that I spend in the Dominican Republic I my eyes were opened to how people live below the poverty line and what some things are we can do in order to help them. I learned about sustainability, eating right and global impact throughout the ten days I spent there and I am thankful because I am now implementing them in my own life. These things include trying to eat organic, being thankful for what you have, and caring for the environment. My eyes were especially opened once seeing the happy children. The children had nothing to their name however, they were laughing, dancing and singing constantly. I learned that material objects mean nothing for happiness! That is one lesson I will never forget!