Global Experiences Header Image Global Experiences Header Image

Summer Internships in New York City

Small town, big city

Bear with me, some of this is me being a little sentimental but I have to do this trip justice in the best way I know how. I like to write down my thoughts in my attempt to be insightful whilst using too many adjectives. Enjoy :)

Auckland, New Zealand to Newark, New York - 24 hours, 4 sets of passport control, 3 customs checks and 3 beers at 3 different airports.

I’m not sure if it’s just me being sentimental but there is something wonderfully magically about airports. The heartbreaking goodbyes and the happiest of hellos are seen in these terminals every day. It feels like no matter what you can start over – they spark dreams; they open eyes and expand minds. For me it’s that pending sense of anonymity. Nobody has any previous opinion of me; nobody knows anything other than what I tell them, and who I really am right now: I felt real power in this.

Landing in NYC changed my soul. There is more to life than your hometown, there’s more than you can even imagine. There's more than I ever imagined.

New York City is absolutely breathtaking, I was placed in a role that suited me perfectly. My boss being somewhat of a startup genius but also an adult child. I developed technical skills and improved my industry knowledge but more importantly I made friends and connections, I left a part of my heart in that city and hold a piece of it in mine. This is exactly what I wanted and exactly what I got.

The size will get you, trust me it will. Whether you're from Auckland, or London or Mississippi - the size, the power, the influence, the humidity. It will get to you. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is completely up to you. My friends at home listened to me whine about the subway delays and 80% humidity, but also celebrated with me on successes big and small. Thats the thing about New York - you will experience everything here, anything that can happen will happen here.

Every experience is different, mine will be much different to yours. But it will always be life changing.

After coming back home this internship stood out on my CV and has brightened the spotlight on my abilities and potential to be an asset to their team. Stepping out like this, shows you are willing to go the extra mile, that you are outgoing and have the ability to take the initiative to improve yourself.

Based on my experience - I highly recommend the Global Experiences New York program. It will change you for the better. Oh and you make friends from every corner of the globe for life :)

Happy travelling,
Chels x

OUTSTANDING!

I have gone through Global Experiences twice now. Once in London and once in New York. Both experiences where completely different from one another. I learned so much from each one and gained long lasting connections! I learned from my internship as well as from the people in the programs and the culture of each city! Global Experience did a wonderful job of getting the interns together and showing them the city they where in and how to create a lasting impression everywhere you go. I would do the program again and again if I could!

I got to be part of it, New York!

I've now done two internships with Global Experiences (London and New York) and the internship I recently had in New York was brilliant. Global Experiences is very hands on, and strives to make sure you get a wonderful internship and experience. I've made lasting connections and added to my resume. Not bad for a recent college grad!