Global Experiences Header Image Global Experiences Header Image

Summer Internships in London

Best summer of my life

I joined the GE Summer programme this year as a psychology intern at a drug and alcohol service that is based in South London. As some background information, I am an Indonesian national who completed my undergraduate university degree in Australia. What initially attracted me to apply for the programme is the fact that GE is the only international internship provider that arranges internships in the career field of psychology (in London too, no less, as well as in Dublin and NYC). However, as I went through each stage of the (fairly straightforward) application procedure and eventually arrived in the UK myself, I learnt that there were so many more advantages to joining the GE Summer programme than just that.

Firstly, the extremely high level of care and attention that GE provides is noticeable right from the get-go. Despite being quite a seasoned traveller and expat in a few countries myself, I wouldn't have survived in London without their professional, efficient, and friendly guidance along the way, which included a personalised CV and cover letter writing workshop, a very comprehensive pre-departure seminar, as well as continuous on-site support during my stay in the UK. In addition, to me, the immensely enjoyable time that I had at my workplace also speaks volumes about the effort that goes into finding the right companies to place their interns at.

Secondly, the accommodation in which they house their interns, including myself, is located in a safe and well-connected area in London's Zone 1 (Farringdon/Clerkenwell, to be exact). Although the rooms, including bathrooms, are on the small side (a given in Central London, it seems!), all the facilities in the apartment make for a pleasant stay, such as a spacious kitchen and dining area, access to the gym, on-site laundry service, and 24-hour security.

Thirdly, GE organises many exciting social outings, which, in the time that I did the programme, included day trips to Brighton and Bath, a culinary tour of East London, a cooking class, and post-exit orientation drinks at The Shard.

To sum up, I would definitely recommend GE to anyone who would love a massively rewarding and unforgettable opportunity to grow professionally (as well as personally!). Thank you so much everyone at GE for everything!

The expat experience

If I didn't have to leave London to come back to school here in The States, I wouldn't have! I have now done two summers with Global Experiences and have had the time of my life. I've always had the need to explore, yet I knew that I needed to spend my Junior and Senior summers doing internships to prepare me for the future, so interning abroad seemed like the perfect solution. I've had great experiences both times, most significantly in my internships. I'm studying Business and Film in LA but wanted to see what the industry was like in other parts of the world, and GE found two really great internships for me. I developed skills in management, production and even video editing that I never expected and don't know if I would have if I stayed in LA. I learned so much about myself, my work and how I fit into the industry that I've even altered my career path and I'm more excited than ever about the future (which may or may not have me going back to London =]).

When you intern with Global Experiences, you get more than just the internship, you get a whole support system with you in London. It can be a little intimidating moving across the world to work in a place you may never have been before with a culture that is unfamiliar to you, but GE is really good at preparing you for the experience and helping you make the most of your time while you are there. You're with a group of people that are all going through the same thing, and you help build each other up so that you all have the best possible time. The events (such as going to Bath, Stonehenge, and my favorite, Brighton) are also geared towards helping you integrate into the local culture which is so important if you want to get the most out of your experience.

I would recommend anyone who is looking to have a unique experience working abroad to seriously consider doing this program, as finding it has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
Cheers GE!

Amazing experience

Summer internship in London with Global Experiences absolutely exceeded my expectation. I have gained both professional and personal development.
I was placed in the IT department of an real estate company and was given the opportunity to write my own application under the help of my supervisor and coworkers. It was a such a valuable learning experience. Housing is AMAZING and it is totally worth the cost.
London is such a diverse city, unlike anywhere I have ever been, even though I have a diverse background myself. I would absolutely recommend anyone to give it a try. It will change your life.

Summer 2015

I knew I needed an internship before graduating and I also wanted to do it abroad. But the thought of trying to do it all on my own was so daunting. I found Global Experiences by chance through Google. After reading reviews I decided to go for it. I'm so glad I did. GE helps you with everything you need. From the visa process to housing to finding an internship that's right for you, they have your back. The people from GE will become some great friends. The flatmates I had in London were incredible and I was really sad when I had to say bye. We bonded so quickly within those 2 months. The internship I had was a perfect fit and I was able to expand my writing and journalism skills. I grew as a professional and an adult. I wouldn't change this experience for anything!

A True Global Experience

As a seasoned traveller, I wanted to seek out an internship that combined work experience with culture immersion. Enter Global Experiences.

After sifting through dozens of intern and study abroad programs, I narrowed down my hefty list to just a handful. Out of those few, Global Experiences was the first to get back to me. What surprised me about this program was that the application to participate wasn't readily available, you had to speak with a consultant first. I liked the way the consultants reached out and scheduled a one on one meeting with you over the phone instead of sending an information packet to your mailbox. From the beginning, the staff was dedicated to meeting my needs and specifications as a person seeking employment for a very specific sector of jobs. While there were over 100 interns in my summer program, I never felt like I was pushed aside. My emails during the entire process were always answered quickly and everyone was so informative.

Global Experiences assisted with everything from cover letter and resume review, to interview tips and visa advice. The staff was also able to assist me with finding a second part-time internship, after the one I really wanted was only looking for a part-time intern. I loved both of my placements and don't think I would've found either of them looking on my own.

Since we were staying in Central London, I didn't have super high hopes for the housing they would provide, but I was pleasantly surprised when the accommodation had 24/7 security staff, spacious and clean rooms, and was in a great location. I got on really well with the flatmates I was assigned, so it seems like there was thought put into that as well.

While there were set activities for us to participate in through GE, it didn't occupy every weekend. This left plenty of time to go visit other places and see what else Europe had to offer. Weekend trips included Bath and Stonehenge and Brighton, but there were also events like a networking night and a visit to the Globe Theater to watch a show.

I highly recommend this program to those who are looking for independence with structure. I say that because students that are willing to go to a foreign country by themselves for this type of experience are probably very independent, but will need a hand in sorting out all the logistics. It's hard to know exactly what visa you need and how you're going to get international organizations to look at your resume. Global Experiences provided a great balance of giving me the opportunity but still allowing me to decide whether to take it. I did take it, and I'm so happy I did.

The best interning experience I could have had...

Global Experiences provided me with one of the most fantastic experiences I could have hoped for. From the first moment I showed interest, to the last weeks of being in London, the staff were incredibly supportive, encouraging, and exercised wonderful leadership skills. At the beginning, as I began the process of applying for the program and then later for jobs, GE helped me through every step with ample amounts of patience and guidance. They listened to all of my specifications and met every single one as they began setting me up with interviews. Once I landed my internships (I was lucky enough to split my time between two), GE helped in the semi complicated Visa process and began prepping us for the major transitions we would face upon moving to a different country for the summer. Although I had been to London many times, I still found all of their advice to be extremely helpful and comforting. It's always hard to leave your "normal" for that long!

Upon arriving to London I was extremely pleased with the housing situation. Not only were the accommodations safe, neat, and clean, but my flatmates were also completely fantastic. It seemed that we were all placed together very intentionally, and we quickly became very close. They became my fast friends and joined me on many adventures throughout the summer.

To my delight, the first days at each of my internships went SO well. From day one I was completely in love with both of my placements and couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I thrived in both workplaces and gained so much one on one teaching from each of my supervisors. The internships were perfectly designed for my strengths and interests and there is no way I could have found anything that perfect on my own. GE Orientation was extremely helpful as I entered into the London working culture and the site visits they conducted professionally encouraged good communication between my supervisors and I. It was continuously evident that Global Experiences truly had my interests in mind throughout the entire summer. The London GE team was so great during my time in London and they were constantly reaching out to provide friendly and professional support.

I can't recommend this program enough for young people looking to globally expand their horizons. If you are at all interested in experiencing a career internationally, do it with GE. The placements are thoughtfully considered, the support is constant, and the experience is beyond words.

GE Summer Internship in London

Having a summer internship in London was a fantastic experience! Global experiences was the partner my University worked through, and we were introduced to their staff in the early spring before the trip. They are generally very helpful and will edit your resumes and cover letters and provide a lot of other pre departure tips and information via online portals and webinars.

You have to be prepared for the difficulties of applying for a visa, as this is one of the most stressful parts. GE doesn't manage this (rather a government agency does), but they explain how to do it and responded very quickly when I asked for help.

The program staff in country were all very nice and there were some cool trips and events we had such as a pub meet up our first week, and trips to Brighton, Bath and Stonehenge. Most of your social experience you will have to manage on your own (including trips abroad), but I found everyone in the program was very fun and happy to make friends! I also thought the housing we were provided was quite nice, located near central London.

I was initially disappointed that I did not get to work in the sector I had been hoping to get into, but I ending up thoroughly enjoying my work experience! My boss was amazing and the staff were very nice. How much you learn and the skills you gain really comes down to your own initiative. My first few tasks were not particularly stimulating, but I volunteered for a few small projects and came up with some ideas on my own, and after that my responsibilities grew immensely! I actually think I got a better experience with the organization I worked for, than I might have had in a more traditional internship in my preferred sector.

I would highly suggest this program to anyone who wants to get work experience overseas or who can't fit a summer abroad into their time at school.

An unforgettable experience

I had the time of my life interning in London, all thanks to Global Experiences! Everything seemed to be a dream when I was in London, due to the exceptional staff at my housing accommodation, the staff of Global Experiences who were always willing to help in any way they could to assure your feeling comfortable and happy while being there, and my actual internship placement. I couldn't have asked for a better experience in London. My internship placement was exactly what I was looking for when I applied to Global Experiences. Global Experiences were able to fulfill my needs and requests extremely well with all the hard-work they put in to making your own individual London experience the best it can be. I look forward to going back to London and starting a career there because of the positive, supportive and successful experience I had while under Global Experience's wing!

London Calling

I always knew that I wanted to go abroad during my time as an undergrad. I didn’t know where - I just knew I wanted to immerse myself in a culture other than my own. That’s where Global Experiences comes in.

I met them at an International Careers Fair at the University of Michigan. They hooked me from the start. I went home and spent hours clicking through the pages of various internships available to choose from. Although the descriptions are quite vague, with a bit of curiosity and Google at your fingers, I was able to determine the exact location of the ‘creative writing and education’ internship in East London. I soon fell in love with the Ministry of Stories, a non-profit children’s creative writing and mentoring centre, and knew that this was the internship for me.

I think my case is a bit unusual - in that I came to Global Experiences knowing exactly what I wanted. Most people use the program to test out fields they are unsure if they’re interested in, or perhaps as a way to gauge what it is that ignites their excitement. But, if you do know what it is you want, don’t be afraid to tell Global Experiences. They will do everything they can to make sure you are successful and satisfied with everything you do. They are your personal cheerleaders. There aren’t too many times in your life where people will be there every step of the way to make sure you get what you want.

In the weeks preceding my interview with the Ministry of Stories, a GE program coordinator and I had weekly phone calls to practice interview questions, to edit my CV and cover letter, and to take a Strengths Finder test, which would ultimately describe my unique skills and translate them into a professional vocabulary. I know that this professional development will stick with me for the rest of my career, and for that I am so grateful.

Although Global Experiences is definitely not cheap, and in that case, neither is London, but the friends I’ve made, the work I’ve accomplished, the confidence I’ve gained, and the adventures that I’ll always cherish are more than worth the price. Thanks to Global Experiences and the Ministry of Stories, I have conquered more than I ever thought was possible. I’ve learned how to live and navigate in a foreign city, I’ve brought my creativity and energy to improve an organization and mission that I believe in, I’ve left my footprints in English towns that I never imagined I’d visit in my life, and have been inspired by the peers I’ve met in this programme.

Two months always seems like a long time before you leave, but once it’s over, you wonder where it all went. A helpful outlook is to remember that if you hadn’t known an end date was on the horizon, you wouldn’t make the most out of your time here in this brilliant city. London is calling…don’t miss your chance to live and love it.