Global Experiences Header Image Global Experiences Header Image

Award Winning Internships in Sydney

Time Of My Life!

I can not say enough good things about my experience in Sydney. I participated in the internship program in the summer of 2011, between my Sophomore and Junior year at IU. After completing a phone interview and preparing a mock public relations campaign, I was placed with a PR firm in Surry Hills. I was nervous about the position, because the firm was so small, but I soon found out that its' size was in no way indicative of what they were capable of. My coworkers were so fun and comfortable to be around, and they made me feel that my input was not only welcome, but really valued. I learned so much about how the PR industry works, and often draw from that experience with my schoolwork and in my career search.

Another aspect I really liked about this program was the size of it. It was a smaller program (I think about 30 kids?), so we were able to get to know everyone on some level, and everyone got along really well. It was big enough, however, that it included people from all over the world, with all different types of interests.

Do the bridge climb if you can! It's pretty pricey and touristy, but totally worth it. Fascinating tour, beautiful views, and a once in a lifetime experience. It also truly is not a problem for people with a fear of heights. You feel totally secure the whole time. Kings Cross is a must for night life, but be prepared on a Saturday night- cover is high and the lines are long. The Rocks are a really charming part of Sydney, and I would definitely check out their farmer's market or one the festivals. I have two must go restaurants. The first is Bills for brunch (though its amazing for all meals). They without a doubt have the best pancakes I have ever had in my entire life. All the food is amazing but down to earth, and the service is great. All locations are great but the one in Darlinghurst has a particularly comforting vibe. My second recommendation is the Winery in Surry Hills. Its got such a cool and unique atmosphere- very hip but also super comfortable. I went there on a Saturday night with a group of friends, and again with my parents- and it was a hit with both groups. And the food is of course scrumptious!

Like any city, Sydney has endless and amazing food options. However, it is really really pricey to eat out pretty much anywhere, and for the most part, the food options are not all that different from those in America.

Amazing times to be had any time, any where!

Great experience, but poor administration/very expensive!

So, the positives: I interned in Sydney for the summer with Global Experiences. Overall, I had a great, unforgettable experience. It was amazing to be immersed in a different culture for a summer, to meet so many different people, and to gain experience in a real-life work field. For the most part, I got along with my roommates and we all had a good time. We had a lot of free time to explore the city. I also got the chance to hang out with my co-workers, which was great because they were all from Australia. I got awesome work experience and a nice recommendation/resume builder as well.

However...there were several significant negatives. First of all, I did not really enjoy my time with the company Global Experiences. Before I even signed up with them, they were very pushy about getting me to send in payments, claiming that spots were filling up fast for the next summer. In reality, they accept people up until a few months before the summer. They just wanted to push me into paying. They also force you to use BUNAC for a Visa. BUNAC GROSSLY overcharges you for their services--it cost me almost $1000 to get my work Visa from them, NOT including the charge for the work visa itself. I am VERY sure you could get a work visa for cheaper than $1000.

Secondly, once in Sydney, GE seemed a bit unprofessional. They communicated chiefly through Facebook, which led to a lot of confusion about how to sign up for social events/when events were. A few GE staff people were quite helpful, but there were others that weren't. There were several GE staff members in Sydney whom I were not quite sure why they were there. All they seemed to do was go on social events or travel around Australia (by themselves). One of the staff members was supposed to be my apartment hall's RA, but she was gone every weekend traveling. Knowing my money was going towards them flying around Australia was off-putting.

The cost is also a big drawback. All of my roommates and I believed we really overpaid for this trip. When I told my Australian co-workers the amount of money I paid to come with Global Experiences, they were dumb-founded. They said I could have easily found an apartment myself and paid rent for cheaper, etc. I'm not sure where all of the money goes that GE gets from you. It just seems so expensive and I'm sure someone could do this whole process for cheaper without GE.

Overall, I loved my time in Australia. I strongly recommend international internships because my experience was great. But, if I were to do it over, I would choose a different company or do it on my own. I think GE jacks the prices up way too much for their services, and then leaves you wondering where all the money went. Find your own internship and apartment, and you're set.

An Amazing Opportunity

My internship placement this summer was everything I was looking for while at the same time being nothing I expected. I gained work experience that I will never forget. I learned so much in my short time here. Everyone at my placement was so willing to teach me and I am so grateful for that! I was lucky enough to make connections that will last a lifetime as well as very blessed to have a job offer waiting for me after I graduate if I decide to come back and live here.

Not only did I have an amazing internship but I was also able to explore the city that I lived and worked in. The accommodation was in an amazing area and just a short walk,bus, or ferry ride away. I did most of my exploring on the weekends and loved every second of it! Whether it be shopping at the local mall, taking the ferry to the zoo or to Manly, or hopping on a bus to nearby towns every part was just as exciting as the next!

Through this program you meet people from all over. Some you will love, some you will hate. But thats life. Being a quiet more reserved person when meeting new people I didn't expect to form life long friendships being here for such a short time but thats exactly what I got. My roommate and I traveled the city together every weekend, got drinks during the week, or just hung out and watched movies and I wouldn't trade a second of that time! Even after we leave in a few short days I know that things wont change. We will always be friends.

Amazing internship opportunities, lifelong friendships, and a beautiful city in a different country. What more could you ask for in a summer?