63 Whitfield Street On The Historic Guilford Green Guilford, CT 06437 United States
Typical Duration of Program
Year round (more in the summer)
Au Pair? Some of the time. Tutor? Some of the time. You can even combine the time you tutor with the time you help with the children! For 20 hours each week, you help the children in your host family with conversational English and provide extra babysitting (even walking the children to school) in exchange for free room and board and a weekly monetary allowance!
Duties and Responsibilities
* Sharing your language with your host family. You should work out your schedule with your host family in advance or immediately upon arrival. Your primary reason for being there is to provide conversation in your language and to provide childcare for the children. The family knows that and they are expecting you to set the teaching schedule in advance and bring materials with you that will help the children learn conversational English. This is your responsibility. They are expecting to take the lead from you.
* Help take care of the school aged children which may include walking the children to school or being home when the children arrive home from school; preparing a meal for the children or a snack; and helping them with their homework.
* Tutoring and caring for children is for a total of 20 hours each week. You will be asked to watch the children in the evenings, no more than twice a month. The schedule can be arranged in advance or upon arrival. Receive ¬40 per week.
* Help with general household tidiness (helping set and clear the table, keeping your room neat, etc). You will not help in any domestic work, but will help out more as another family member such as helping with menus, setting and clearing the table at meals or tidying your own room.
* Using GeoVisions' teaching materials, your free subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions.
* Assist the Italian family with conversational English.
* Help develop activities, games, lessons for the children.
Love food, wine, art, seaside, mountains, hills, or maybe soccer? Italy is the destination! Much of the world's most important art is there. Cheese, pasta, wine, and bread are the most popular foods and drink in Italy. Mangi!
* Travel for less. The program is designed to provide plenty of time to experience the Italian culture.
* Do you want to learn Italian or brush up on your language skills? If available near your placement, GeoVisions will provide assistance in identifying suitable language lessons. Language classes are optional and at your additional expense.
* Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
* Personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. Some tutors just don't know where to start and need help identifying what to teach according to the ages of the family members. We are here to provide that assistance FREE.
* You "meet" your family in advance through email, phone calls or Skype. Each family is interviewed by in-country staff.
* Join our Facebook Fan page and begin the conversation now.
* Join our Online Community and read our volunteer's journals, view their photos and watch their videos.
Participants must be 18 years or older. A basic knowledge of Italian is needed.
Please see website for pricing.
American, Australian and Canadian Participants.
GeoVisions is committed to help individuals develop global skills to succeed in the twenty-first century. These skills will ultimately lead to greater cooperation and understanding among nations and peoples of the world. We are committed to treating every person on a GeoVisions program with respect, and devoting our energies to helping participants meet their individual and collective goals.
I just returned from my GeoVisions volunteer vacation in Costa Rica. What an experience! I was excited to be able to work in the Jardin Botanico Lankester where they have more varieties of orchid...More
Did you participate on a program with GeoVisions?
Share your thoughts!