OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Download Application Form

Location

Thailand: Bangkok, Chiang Mai

Description

Experience life in Thailand and the Thai culture in-depth with this incredible program that allows cultural immersion and a chance to become one with the culture, embracing it through firsthand interactions. Live with a host family and tutor them in conversational English up to 15 hours a week in exchange for free room and board. Spend your free time experiencing the culture by traveling and exploring the area. This program has a focus on cultural exchange and host families are not only excited to learn English but also love to share the characteristics of their country, culture and cuisine.

The Need: Volunteer 15 hours a week helping your host family with Conversational English. That's it. Many Thai families want to learn English or get better at speaking English through conversation. They are willing to provide a private room and 3 meals each day.

Highlights

Benefits:
* Travel for less.
* You put in a couple of hours each day literally talking, and the rest of your time is spent traveling and experiencing the culture in depth.
* Do you want to learn German or brush up on your language skills? We can easily arrange optional language classes for you. It's up to you. Plus you receive "survival" Thai classes at orientation.
* Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume by volunteering with the Conversation Corps. Job: "Private Language Tutor." References: Global. It just doesn't get any better than that.
* You "meet" your family in advance through email and phone calls. Each family is interviewed and carefully screened by in-country staff.
Exclusive materials written by GeoVisions staff will give you "a bag of tricks" as you engage your new family.
* Join our Facebook Fan page or our Facebook Conversation Corps Group and begin the conversation now. And when you come back, our Returnee network is a great place to share your experiences.

This is a high-energy and really fun position. GeoVisions provides the materials; you provide the personality to liven up a family class or dinner conversation! Find out first-hand how a Thai family lives day-to-day. Sometimes there are opportunities to take part in family activities and to meet extended family. Plus, they can show you landmarks and hidden gems.

9 Overall Experience

What An Amazing Opportunity This Is **My Mid-Stream Reflections During The Program**

I am writing this review while I am still in Thailand:

I am currently on a home stay in Khao Tao, which is 15 mins from Central Hua Hin. I have been very much welcomed into the family home and made to feel comfortable. Mae-Thai for mother, cooks the most amazing food and she makes sure that I am fed-probably too much. I have been hovering as she cooks and writing down recipes as i know i will want to cook these foods when i go home!

Mae and I spend a few hours in the morning doing English words and we muddle through conversations about the difference between Thai culture and Australian culture. There has definateky been lessons for both of us!

In the evening, the family's maid drops off her 11year old grandson Ngeun for english lessons. Sometimes Mae and other family members sit in too. It's been wonderfully delightful teaching how to say hello, as well as beginning to learn words... There have some laughs and fun times and of course some frustration, but mostly it's been really good!

It's such an amazing opportunity to think that in some small way I may be contributing to Ngeun's future and his options. For me, the experience has been so rich and joyous, and also I've loved getting to see the local area and discover the temples, beaches and rural life of Khao Tao. I've even hired a small scooter and am zipping to the shops and to the beach,sharing smiles with people as I ride past. And I cannot fathom the kindness of my host family...GeoVisions and Xplore Asia have been brilliant in helping me settle in and making sure everything is ok...I cannot stress what a amazing opportunity this is..."

• The School/Placement

• Pay and Benefits

• Teacher Support

8 Overall Experience

A Really Awesome Time - **My Second Review, Written 2 Months After The Program Ended**

I spent nearly 9 weeks teaching English in a home stay in Khao Tao, which is a small fishing village located about 20 minutes from Hua Hin- 2.5 hours south of Bangkok. It was an opportunity to live with a family and to teach English, as well as to learn about another culture. It was a pretty brilliant time as well as slightly nerve racking- knowing that the family where depending on me to help them learn an new language/ I could ot have been made to feel more welcome by the Mum and of course the maid's so- both of whom i taught. They were ready everyday to learn and were using the things i taught them regularly. The benefit was i had wifi so i was able to download heaps of resources and flash cards into my iPad- which were invaluable. I also learned to cook some Thai food, and helped round the house as needed. We talked about Australia and my home town of Melbourne and i taught them our national anthem and about my culture. It was really sad leaving but i know that in some small way, the little boy i taught will have had his future changed because i was there...

• The School/Placement