Men with facepaint of France's flag Men with facepaint of France's flag

Tutor English To A Family In France

• Teacher Support

I will stay in touch with my host family for life

I just arrived home last Thursday as I spent a month in Spain after leaving France.

GeoVisions did a superb job matching a French family and a Canadian English instructor!!! Thank You for being the liaison in connecting us. Besides having 4 wonderful children to work with I also had access to the countryside for daily walks with their chocolate lab dog. Living with and meeting friends and relatives of my host family was an excellent way for me to experience the French culture, and partake in French cuisine daily. My relationship with the family shall continue.

I believe it is a plus that the application process with Geovisions allows for candidates to look at the family resumes and see if they would be comfortable living with the family and vice versa. Access to a Geovisions staff member is readily available, another plus!

I would certainly recommend Geovisions to anyone wishing to share their English skills in exchange for experiencing a new culture.

Thanks for providing opportunities for enhancing one's life.

Great Experience

I had a great experience in France. My host family was very accommodating. Along with tutoring my host family, I also got to meet up with other GeoVisions people, which was nice. I had the freedom to travel with new friends, or on my own. I would definitely recommend GeoVisions and this program.

Tutor a family in France, but also enjoy life in France!

I had the most amazing time in France!!! The family I was placed with were a super great family in Le Paradou, in Provence. The first day I arrived I was treated to a proper French lunch in sunny and beautiful Marseille, then whisked away to the wonderful home they had in Le Paradou. My hosts were so friendly and only the wife, Carine could speak English, but her husband Ludovic was super helpful with me learning French too! Their children were so sweet and well-behaved the whole time. I was there and the daughter Alicia, who I tutored the most was such a sweetheart! We had so much fun and she taught me just as much French as I taught her English! We would organize fun little games or read out of books together. Together, we made learning really fun! There wasn't always time for a full, standard lesson plan to be done, but I found it was even more fun teaching in such a fun and dynamic way!
On top of the fun I had teaching English, the family was really resourceful with helping me to get my tourism on while they were still working full time and taking care of the kids. Almost every day I went to either Arles, St. Remy de Provence or Fontvielle to experience the beautiful scenery and architecture of France. I had many days where I was treated to coffee by locals or where I would make new friends in the local town, just walking around practicing my French and meeting new people! They also took me along for a ski trip to the Alps, and experience I will never forget! They even set me up with my own private ski teacher, that I still keep in touch with!
Of course, the family is very busy, but just like any working family in America, we all need to work. I think that the hospitality they offered me in the midst of their busy schedule is unmatched. I couldn't have asked for a better experience and will be forever grateful to them for my first experience in France being so amazing and memorable!

French adventure

First of all, my French is basic and this whole experience was primarily motivated by my desire to improve it. There were moments I couldn't understand a word or say the proper word but this program helped tremendously! I stayed in 2 places with 3 host families. Charleville-Mezières in north of France and Saint Malo along the coast in Brittany. The families were amazing, they do all they can to give you a great experience with their excellent hospitality, by planning activities for you and introducing you to their close network of family and friends. A few days I was home sick but for the most part, I felt safe and the rooms were comfortable and families well chosen.
The first day I arrived in Charleville, I found out they were taking me to a cabaret show which was fun and very French. Charleville itself is small but the family makes the most of it, and brought me into Belgium as well! I feel this is the best way to learn a language and found my French to be improving right away, however it was difficult at times and it's no easy task. You hear and engage in everyday phrases, which is invaluable and you get to use your teaching skills to help them with their English! The beautiful hills and mountains of Les Ardennes are scenic and I rode over 60 km of maintained bike trails which they call La Voie Verte. It's a network of abandoned railway tracks that they converted to beautiful paths and I got to see a bunch of charming French villages.
Saint Malo is a beautiful place and must visit! The 2 families here were also great and lent me a bike to ride down to the beach and old city which was 5 minutes away! They also took me to Mont St Michel, Cancale, Gacilly, Dinard, Dinan, Omaha beach, and a music festival. That whole coast was spectacular and the ancient towns are rich in culture and history. I was even treated to a small boat ride where we sailed and docked in front of a private beach on an island. There are cultural differences, so as long as you're respectful and curious it's a fun experience to share stories and customs with the families. Being a guy, I particularly enjoyed the introductory kiss on each cheek from girls that they call 'les bises'. I also found out that they do not play baseball which made my glove that I brought useless.
I've never had so much wine and cheese in my life! The food is great, I had fresh baguettes every morning and tasted several fine wines and a wide assortment of cheeses, yum! Other food highlights were the oysters from Cancale (a speciality), the home-made galettes and the mussels. The French really know how to eat and every meal felt like a feast.
Away from the families, I managed to visit Paris for a couple of days and 4 days in the south of France. I really feel I got a great tour of France yet there are so many places I still want to go. It just shows you how much France has to offer.
Overall, this was an excellent experience and I'd recommend this to anyone that wants to improve their French, experience French culture or just for the adventure! Traveling really opens your eyes and you treasure the friendships you form along the way!

• Professional Development

• The Employer

Adventure's Out There!

Well! My stay in France this Summer has went by swimmingly! I could literally write a book about all of my adventures. I've swam in both of France's seaside oceans, I've hiked the Pyrenees, I've been to an innumerable amount of castles, cathedrals, mansions, crypts, caves, forests, museums, exhibitions, shows, parties, etc. I've had about as many different French cheeses and wines as I can stand. I've braved "escargots." I've had the complete experience -- but I am definitely coming back to France. Geovsions is a wonderful program designed to satisfy the insatiability of anyone's hunger for adventure. There are, however, a few drawbacks: 1) the price. It is considerably cheaper than any other similar program, but on my end of things, there wasn't much of a real "program" to follow. They found the families, they insured me, they kept me in contact, etc. I was told that I would be tutoring the children everyday, 15 hours a week -- but that did not happen at all. The families did not even want that. In fact, as they told me, my 3 different families over the Summer all told me that they did not know anything about any actual tutoring. So really, beyond being a kind of "support team," don't expect much organization on this end. The families themselves are not paid. They fed me, took me places, paid for most meals, gave me a bed -- that's a lot of money. Considering how much I paid, and that none of that goes to the family, is a bit disconcerting. However, insurance is expensive, and indeed there are great tutoring materials made available. It is understandable. 2) Transportation between families was tricky. Geovisions does not arrange that. Buses, trains, Blablacars, planes, etc. -- it's up to you. I ended up paying about 200 dollars in all -- which is not much, considering the entire Summer, but on top of having to pay for a plane ticket, the program price, etc., it was a bit frustrating. But all in all, I would recommend this program to anyone! If perhaps it weren't so pricey, and the communication a bit more clear between the families, the applicant, and the program, it would be much "awesomer". My Summer in France was something I'll never forget -- made possible by Geovisions. Despite the negatives, my Summer was overwhelmingly positive. Bon voyage!

I've Adopted My Host Family

I was placed with an amazing host family outside of Lyon. I was supposed to tutor only the two children, but at dinner even the parents were getting in on the classes of comparing food and daily activities in English.

On weekend, they took me to the mountains and treated me as a member of the family. Counting informal sessions, I probably tutored about 18 hours a week. A little more than the recommended 15. But the family enjoyed it so much, I went with it and didn't complain.

I thought GeoVisions did a great job getting me ready to go, making this placement and they emailed me 3 times when I was away to check in on me.

It's a great program. And I know I'll see my host family again. I wouldn't think of traveling to France without taking time to see them.

Perfection

Conversation Corps was the perfect balance of independence and security while living in a foreign country. Being able to share my language and culture with my host family and learning about theirs in return was an absolute pleasure. Watching their English improve week by week was a real treat.

• Teacher Support

A Great Opportunity To Live With A Wonderful French Family and Improve Their English.

GeoVisions moved along quickly to place me with a wonderful family in France. I was a part of Conversation Corps. I spoke English with the family throughout the day and worked when possible with the children individually. The parents had a good knowledge of English but wanted to improve their conversational English. The children had had English exercises in school but using English in conversation was difficult. We tried games and songs, etc. to improve their English in a fun way. We built vocabulary using things from daily routines, special holidays and trips. I visited the classrooms of both children and participated in English lessons at their schools. At all times the family made me fell welcome and a part of the family. I have been an elementary classroom teacher for more than 35 years. What a wonderful opportunity for a retired teacher like myself!

• Teacher Support

An experience so terrific!

I have the best host family I could possibly have. We have a lot of interests and values in common. The children are adorable, the food is delicious, they are enjoying their English lessons and practicing it a lot, and I'm understanding French a lot, even their conversations at normal speed! I'm having a terrific experience!

I'm still having memorable experiences. My time with the children is a lot of fun.

I chose this program because I wanted to learn more about the French culture and improve my French, and this program seemed to offer total immersion and I knew that is what I needed.

I have my own adorable room with my host family. I live in Castres, France and I could not have it better.

People's Dreams Become A Reality

I arrived safe and sound in Miami yesterday evening! I'm exhausted!! I flew from Beirut to Jordan (8 hour layover) then from Jordan to Paris (where I had a day and a half until my next flight. I spent it with a friend!) and then I flew from Paris to Berlin (10 hr layover) and finally from Berlin to Miami! I'm back to school today so I haven't had any time to rest! :(

From the bottom of my heart, I owe a huge THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all the wonderful people at Geovisions and their partners around the globe. They do such an amazing job and help make people's dreams a reality! Without these wonderful programs, I wouldn't have had the chance to travel to 7 countries by myself and experience such wonderful things! I've made so many friends and met the most interesting, fun people on my adventures!

I actually made a lot of use of CouchSurfing. It's such a cool site to meet fellow travellers as well as locals in the area who want to meet foreigners and share their culture! I think I may be interested in doing another program with GeoVisions. I graduate in May so I may want to go abroad again as an au pair. I would go with GeoVisions because of their brilliant five star staff.

Changed The Direction Of My Life

My participation in GeoVisions Conversation Corps really changed the direction of my life. I was placed right outside of Avignon, France with a great host family. The experience absolutely changed my life, and since then I have been majoring in French and Education to become a French teacher, hopefully, when i graduate this spring.

I would never have been able to be introduced to such an amazing culture and new world if it was not for your program. I really can't tell you how profound the experience was in the path that I am now on!

I still keep in touch with my host family and actually have returned to visit them :) I also recently spent a semester abroad in Rennes France. This is all thanks to my summer spent doing the conversation corps. So, thank you!

Amazing experience

I had the best experience of my life traveling overseas with Geovision. I met people that I consider to now be my life-long friends, and I learned so much. I recommend everyone do this at least once in their life.

Experience In France Amazing

My experience with GeoVisions was an extremely enjoyable one. I am remarkably impressed with the way that the firm conducts business and would like to commend GeoVisions on that. I believe that they are miles ahead of their competitors in terms of customer interaction and service delivery. Should I ever wish to travel abroad, GeoVisions would be my first choice.

My experience in France was amazing. I was blessed to be placed with a host family who is so welcoming and friendly. I got on very well with everyone and I was heart sore to leaving.

From the day that I arrived they accepted me into their family and were very accommodating which is amazing. The children are adorable and I immediately formed a close bond with them – they are a pleasure to spend time with.

I feel that my level of French improved and I understand much more now than when I first arrived! The family is also more confident in expressing themselves in English and there was definitely visible progress. With regards to the children, I found it far more useful to introduce them into the English language with light hearted games such ‘eye spy’ and ‘hang-man’ and these have proven to be great fun!

I also was able to soak in the French culture, from the people to the food, the traditions and the expressions –it has been a great learning experience for me.

Another great benefit of this programme is that it allows one to travel. In my free time I have visited many nearby towns and villages and was lucky enough to see some of the Tour de France in Rouen! Overall it has been an awesome experience that I would recommend to all.

I'm In Denial That I Had To Leave France

I'm in denial about the fact that I actually had to leave my host family to return to the US. The time in France absolutely flew by!

I have never met a kinder, more welcoming family than my hosts. I feel like a member of the family at this point. I was included in every family activity, from game nights to 4-day motor home excursions along the coast of Normandy.

I also had plenty of me-time, as well, to travel independently. With the help of my host parents, I visited Mont Saint Michel, Saint Mâlo, Brocéliande Forest, Honfleur, Caen, Paris, Versailles, the cliffs of Étretat, and the beaches of Cabourg.

The children (and the parents!) improved their English daily, by playing games, singing songs, reciting short poetry, and through general conversation. Each child kept a notebook of those songs and poems, words and sentences of the day (sometimes of the week), as well as corresponding drawings. The kids are still young, so sometimes it was like pulling teeth to get them to have their English lesson. I learned to integrate English into every activity, making most things impromptu, informal lessons.

Changed What I Want To Do With My Life

My GeoVisions program in France was fabulous. Today is my last day and we would all feel like crying except for the fact that we have already planned to meet again in August as I will still be in Europe! We got along famously and not only that but the progress I have made in French is outstanding as is the progress in English seen in the host family!

We went traveling to the Cote d'Azure, Lyon, Annecy, and Grenoble. We climbed on of the lesser mountains in the French alps, took lessons from a real French pastry chef on making real French macaroons and spent a few days in Geneva, Switzerland. It has been the experience of a life time and I have made life long friends in the host family. I am so grateful to the program for presenting me with this opportunity. It has changed what I want to do with my life!

Two Families, One Great Experience!

GeoVisions arranged two host families for me in France, the first for two weeks and the second for five weeks. Both families provided comfortable accommodations, good food, and a welcoming attitude. In addition, their homes were located near a major city (Avignon), and I had easy access to local public transportation. Even though I was with the first family for only two weeks, I found it fairly productive in terms of language improvement; in fact, I could hear improvement after only a few days. The downside was that I had to move after only two weeks. During my second homestay, the wife's mother was hospitalized, so my hostess had to leave and attend to her mother in another city. Because my hostess would be away for a week, she suggested that I travel on my own while she visited with her mother. I had little choice but to go, because the alternative was to stay home with her husband and son for a full week, which would have been awkward. In any case, this was travel I was not anticipating, since I had expected the full five weeks to be covered under my GeoVisions fee. Applicants for the Conversation Corps program should be aware that there can be circumstances beyond your control that could affect the homestay. As it turned out, I was able to do the additional travel fairly inexpensively, but that may not be true for all volunteers.

I would certainly recommend GeoVisions to travelers.

Besides gaining exposure to a foreign country, one has the opportunity to gain life long friendship.

Jodi is a superb representative for GeoVisions.

Integrating within a family is an excellent way to immerse in a culture.

Great Placement But Overpriced

Ultimately I was very pleased with my experience in the Conversation Corps. However, this had more to do with the luck of my family placement than with anything else. I was disappointed with how little input Geovisions had during my actual stay, like my French coordinator had absolutely no contact with me whatsoever when I was there (and she happened to be living just 5 minutes from where I was staying). Second of all, I originally asked for a program duration of 3 months, though I was only found a placement for two of those months, and was only notified that my third month placement would not work in the middle of my stay in France. In other words, I got the impression that everything was done very last-minute (including my initial placement which I found out about 1 day before the refund deadline). On top of that, I think the program fee is exorbitantly high, especially since the family does not receive any of it as compensation for their costs. Though I was very lucky to be placed with the family I had, (and I appreciate Geovision's role in that), overall I would not recommend this program to anyone else.

Boating, biking, and beaches in France

My experience in France was a really great one. I had an excellent host family that was really passionate about American English and the United States in general.

I think I got the maximum out of my month. My host-father drove me up to Bordeaux for the day and gave me an excellent list of places to visit while he was at work. My family made sure that I visited great local towns, beaches, and natural wonders (La Dune du Pilat!). I had my own bike, so I could have a little alone time. They included me in everything - almost to a fault. But I was never left out or lonely, and keeping busy made my month go fast.

I'm 29 and totally independant, so this program worked for me. Know though, that there is not much personal support once you arrive (at least in my case). Besides the weekly "hope things are good" email from my contact in the USA, I was not contacted by anybody while I was in France. I spoke with my host family many times before I got there, so there were zero problems with getting there and meeting them. I just don't think somebody that needs a lot of support would be very happy.

Also, where does all the money go? I figured for my $1400, that about some of it would go to my host family for room and board. That seems like a lot for administration (I only talked to my USA contact, and emailed "helpmeteach" once).

Overall, it was awesome. I did exactly what I thought I was going to do - an hour long lesson with my host sisters in the morning, and conversational English the rest of the day with my host parents (who already knew a lot on English). I really enjoyed living with a family, even thought it was trying at times - sitting in the back seat for a month and not making any of my own decisions was difficult. Coming up with the daily lessons for the girls was my least favorite part. But (as a French teacher), I loved that I got to see the culture first-hand, learn cool expressions, and see and experience a part of France that few tourists will ever see. Anybody would be satisfied with the trip I had.

Note - I was in a small beach town, so there was no possibility for weekend travel. I arrived in Europe 8 days ahead of time to do a little traveling on my own. I went to Brussels for 3 nights, Germany for 5, and spent my last night in Paris.

Great experience - totally worth it! Everyone back home was, and still is, envious of the Summer I had.

Geovisions in France

I chose to do the volunteer to teach English abroad program in France, primarily to gain exposure to the French language and way of life. I feel that I was lucky to be placed with a wonderful and generous host family, who took me on many weekend outings and included me in everything they did with generosity and love. I am fortunate that the program coordinator in Quimper found me a post as an English assistant in a local high school, and also found me French classes at a local community center. My host family also found me a post as a volunteer for people with handicaps. I have met a lot of amazing people that way. Although I'm in a small town I have easy access to the bus line. It has also been fun teaching English to my host family, usually during dinner and usually with conversation games. I have found that the people in Bretagne are very generous and helpful, and the region is also very beautiful. I've had the chance to visit other towns and that has been very enriching.

Really good program

I think this experience was great. I couldn't really complain about the staff and the process because it was really comprehensive. Although they have resources to get you started with the lessons, they should emphasize on how much work goes into creating lesson plans for 15 hours a week. I would probably would spend more time asking the family more questions before I went in with them to really find out if you are a fit. Other than that GeoVisions is a good alternative for going abroad.