Men with facepaint of France's flag Men with facepaint of France's flag

• The School/Placement

• Pay and Benefits

• Teacher Support

It was amazing!

My program has been amazing I couldn't ask for a better placement for a family. I have been learning so much about the culture and language everyday is exciting. Teaching English is easy because my student is very eager to learn. This makes things even better.

To my surprise a lot of people here listen to American music daily so they already knew a lot of my music I brought with me.

I traveled to Guarapai and it was amazing. The beaches were great and I prefer them over the beaches in the States. People are friendlier and there is a lot of vendors selling food for very cheap.

• The School/Placement

• Pay and Benefits

• Teacher Support

Great Host Family

My host family could not have been nicer...they reminded me so much of my family at home and they took such good care of me. I got really close with my host mom in particular, it was amazing that we bonded so much in only a month. They took me on weekend trips and invited my boyfriend, who is currently studying in Brazil, to come visit for the weekend also. He feels so close to them now too that he is going to visit them again before he comes home. The area and their home were beautiful as well, up in the mountains with amazing horizon views.

I didn't have any problems so I never had to seek out that type of help, my questions were simply confirmation that I explained myself well enough despite the language barrier. I didn't have any lesson plans going in because I wasn't sure what level of English they were at, but I found that the majority of my English teaching was simply conversation practice. I used some listening exercises from the website GeoVisions provided, but other than that I saw improvement due to the need to communicate with me. At times I felt like I wasn't doing enough, but given the busy lives of everyone in the family, I am certain they were satisfied.

My personal travels around the country were amazing as well...we visited places like Foz do Iguazu and Ilha Grande which were two of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Needless to say, it was a good time and I was very pleased with the experience and all the adventures.

Thank you, GeoVisions, for helping me through the process! There were times that I got stressed, particularly in the pre-departure planning, but once I got in contact with my family and arrived in Brazil, everything was fine.

Awesome experience in Brazil

Overall, my experience was AWESOME. This program was EXACTLY what I was hoping to have in terms of cultural exchange. The family was so welcoming, generous, friendly, inviting, and so much more. I obviously had concerns before I departed for Brazil, but GeoVisions did a wonderful job to make sure I was well prepared and knew what to expect. Also, the program gave me the freedom to do whatever I felt would be the best way to teach, so I didn't feel micromanaged or overwhelmed by the coordinators, it was completely up to me!

Obviously a big question of mine was what kind of family would I be matched with? If I was going to spend most of my time with them, it was really important to me to have a family that would respond well to a stranger in their home. Honestly, I could not have asked for a better family to be matched with. They took such great care of me, from the parents to the children. I was always well looked after, well fed, and invited to do anything and everything they were doing. I have to thank GeoVisions for a great job in that respect, because it made ALL the difference between being a good experience, and an amazing one.

The biggest difficulty I had was speaking the language. I knew absolutely ZERO Portuguese before arriving in Brazil but I was determined to learn. I practiced every single day, I took Portuguese lessons, I read Portuguese newspapers and I spoke to anyone and everyone I could in the language. By the conclusion of my trip, I could have real conversations with people. I wasn't able to understand everything, but I could certainly convey anything I wanted to say in a simple way. I was open to any experience, often just doing routine errands with the family to the places like the local hardware store or grocery store, just to see real interactions and participate myself. I am now conversational in Portuguese after two months, something I'm very proud of.

I still regularly keep in touch with my family and I've been invited back to stay with them whenever I want. I also gave them an open invite to stay with me if they ever came to America. I have a new family living in Brazil, which made this experience priceless.