Men with facepaint of France's flag Men with facepaint of France's flag

Day Camp Counselor In Italy

Amazing experience!

When I decided to jump out of my comfort zone and volunteer teach in Italy for a month I had no idea what I was venturing in to. Working with geovisions and You Can Camp exceeded any and all expectations. While living in a country where you don't speak the language and with people you've never met before can be really scary, there was never a day I didn't feel right at home. You Can Camp is organized by wonderful people that have a heart for the kids as well as the volunteers. They went out of their way to make sure our time in Italy was wonderful; they even helped us with organizing activities for us to do during the week after camp like touring the Frassasi Caves and visiting wineries. The other tutors and I spent our weekends traveling. This experience opened my eyes to a different culture and taught me more than I could have imagined; both professionally and personally. I have grown to better understand children, especially ESL learners, and have taken things I learned from camp into my own art classroom. Living in Macerata was a blast! My roommates and I cooked breakfast most mornings and dinner for "family dinner night" in our apartment kitchen a couple of nights a week; we also ate in town some nights and got to know the gelato shop really well! ;) After enjoying an amazing lunch at the restaurant we loved to explore the little town and often took the train to enjoy the beach in Civitanova. I left Italy with new and wonderful friends from all over the world! I definitely recommend this program to anyone looking for an amazing experience abroad.

Amazing Experience!

Where to begin??!!

Going into this program, I was super excited to be teaching English and that was all I thought I was going to do! Well, I was wrong! Not only did I teach english to wonderful Italian students, but I met new friends, both American and Italian! By being able to work with people who knew the culture and others who were in the same boat as me, I couldn't have felt more at home! Since I am studying to be a teacher, I would absolutely recommend this program to strengthen teaching skills and just for more experience! If you can gain experience teaching, why not do it in Italy?

Lastly, the housing was great, seemed like an apartment we would normally see in Canada and the food was amazing!!

Italy 2015

What a fantastic opportunity! I began this process by taking a huge risk as I had no idea what to expect when I arrived in Italy or where my journey was going to take me. I applied to this program because I am passionate about providing a pathway for children to succeed within a happy, healthy, environment whereby their education can thrive. Spending four weeks living and teaching in Italy truly opened my eyes to a different culture and taught me more than I could have ever hoped for. The experience forced me to consider and adopt different ways of teaching and this was challenging at times, however, this enabled me to really evaluate my pedagogy. This has not only benefitted me within my own personal development, albeit professionally too. I have grown to better understand children and have an increased understanding of planning methods and teaching ideas in which I will definitely find useful in my future teaching career. The Italian staff were amazing, I could not fault them. They were friendly and so approachable and it meant a lot to know that they cared about their volunteers and their time spent in Italy.

• Teacher Support

Experience of a lifetime!

My experience in Italy exceeded my expectations in every way. I returned to the States with a newfound appreciation for traveling and teaching. I learned so much about teaching language. I had no idea how I would be able to communicate with and teach English when I was unfamiliar with the Italian language, but they provided all the resources we needed to be successful. The children were enthusiastic about learning and so lovable! I enjoyed sharing my culture with them through language instruction while they taught me about life in Italy. The food was amazing; the places I was able to see in my weekend travels were breathtaking and unforgettable; and the people I got to spend time with along the way made every moment more enjoyable. I'm so thankful to GeoVisions for helping to make my experience with You Can Camp possible and for helping me to gain confidence in my ability to travel, interact with different cultures, and seek out new and unfamiliar teaching experiences in the future.

A Life Changing Summer in Italy

I was so blessed to have had this experience. I would highly recommend it to anybody! Although I created many memories, my favourites are those that involved teaching the heart warming Italian children. I am so impressed with the help from GeoVisions and You Can Camp. They were organised and really made my trip more enjoyable. They greeted us with open arms at the airport and provided transportation to and from the camp every day, along with a delicious lunch. I not only got to teach the Italian children english, but got to learn little bits about their culture along the way. I think it's safe to say we both taught each other. Altogether, this trip was more than I ever could have expected. Thank you, GeoVisions and You Can Camp!

July 2015 in Italy

After a few week abroad, people tend to ask what my favorite part of Italy was. It wasn't a gondola trip in Venice or a walking through the Colosseum in Rome, although those moments were special too; it was living and teaching in the region of Marche for four amazing weeks. Nothing beats being immersed in the Italian culture. On the first full day in Marche, we had a productive training session and was pleasantly surprised to meet the GeoVisions representative (from CT, USA) whom I had corresponded with all the way in Italy! This truly shows how much they are invested in the program and its volunteers. Overall, GeoVisions along with You Can Camp provided a safe and welcoming working environment. We were transported from home in Macerata to our campsite everyday and given a 3 course lunch (yum!) Our apartment was basic but it had everything you could possibly need (full kitchen, washer, etc.) It was a great experience working with Italian children, teaching them English and a little bit about our culture.

Excellent

GeoVision's Volunteer Program in Italy was a great experience with even better people. The Italian staff was extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and welcoming- ready to help with camp support, daily needs, and entertainment/travel advice. They made the transition into Italian life easy and smooth. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn about yourself in a different culture. While tutoring in Italy, you will hone in on transferrable skills in teaching, thinking on your feet, and communicating- skills that are applicable in all career choices and daily life. The feeling of fulfillment from instilling passion in children to learn English is unparalleled. Italy is one of (if not the most) beautiful countries in the world. There's plenty of time on the weekends to enjoy travel excursions while taking in gelato, pizza, and vino with your fellow camp counselors. Amazing experience volunteering abroad that you will carry memories from for the rest of your life.

A Summer to Remember

There is nothing better than spending four weeks in Italy working with children. Working as a volunteer to teach English to Italian speaking children was the perfect way to spend my summer. GeoVisions is an excellent company to work through; the staff is very helpful and they do their best to make sure you are prepared for your visit. Not only is the GeoVisions staff very helpful, the association staff I worked with in Italy were just as great! The staff went out of their way to make sure my roommates and I were comfortable and settled in our apartment. They took us under their wings and gave us the complete Italian experience. I had the best time in Italy and it was all thanks for GeoVisions!

Loved it!

I had an absolutely amazing time with this experience. I have always wanted to travel abroad, and getting the opportunity to teach while I was traveling was beyond amazing. The program was set up nicely, where they gave us all activities and all materials we needed for those activities. I always felt in control and that I knew what I was doing. Having the Italian mentors work with us was extremely helpful, as most of us did not speak much, if any Italian. Overall, I loved everything about this program.

A summer to remember!

This summer I spent 4 weeks volunteering to teach English at a day camp in Italy, which was an unbelievable experience. Absolutely everything was taken care of for us, and the people running the program in Italy were extremely accommodating and helpful. There are two camps located about 30 minutes apart from one another, with 8 volunteers living at each camp. I was located in Porto Sant'Elpidio, which was right on the beach. It was great to live in the Marche Region of Italy, because it was incredibly authentic and you got to experience a lot of the cultural aspects of Italy, rather than only see Italy as a tourist. The living accommodations were much better than we expected. There were 6 girls living in a larger apartment, and 2 girls living in a smaller apartment on the floor below. The apartments were spacious, and the larger one had 2 full bathrooms. There was a small washing machine in each, with plenty of space to hang-dry clothes, as well as a large kitchen with plenty of room to cook. We typically cooked and ate dinner together all 8 of us every weeknight. Breakfast supplies were dropped off weekly, or if we ran out of something. A cleaning service also came every Monday and delivered fresh towels and sheets, which was unexpected and lovely. Every Monday-Friday we were picked up for camp, and we would do English games and activities with the kids from 9-1. The camps changed every 1-2 weeks and it was interesting to see children of different ability levels, and see some of the cultural differences between towns. There is a book of activities and games that are outlined for you, but you have some freedom with the assignments as well. I found the games were all really helpful and enjoyable for the kids, and for us. As a teacher, I found this to be an exceptional experience and I think it will really help shape my teaching back home as well. After camp, we were driven to a restaurant and had fabulous food every day. The first course was always a different pasta dish, and was followed by a second dish, usually with meat and a side. The last week of camp was a baseball-English camp, located in the town we lived in. We rode our bicycles provided to us by the camp. This camp was interesting because children came from all over Italy, and the rest of Europe, to attend. The kids lived in a school next to the field for a week, and we would arrive in the mornings and do English with them after they'd eaten their breakfast. At 1, we would all sit down to a big family-style lunch. Some afternoons, we stayed and hung out with the kids and the Italian staff, as they were all so friendly, or we would head back home. The kids would spend their afternoons relaxing and play baseball in the evenings when it wasn't so hot outside. This camp experience, in and of itself, is reason enough to do this program, but there is so much more you can do while you're abroad. We definitely took advantage of this opportunity, and hopped on trains every Friday afternoon after camp to a city we wanted to visit. I went to Cinque Terre (my absolute favorite), Rome, Florence and Venice. The associates at the camp also helped to organize activities for us during the week, such as horseback riding, wine tour and tasting, and nights out in close-by towns. This program was a great balance of volunteering and free time to travel or simply enjoy the town you are living in. I absolutely recommend this program, you won't regret it!

Italian Adventure

This experience went above and beyond my expectations. I enjoyed every minute of the peaceful beach life in the little town we stayed in. The apartments were clean and well kept. The little restaurant where we ate always had the freshest and most delicious dishes which we looked forward to everyday. The kids were adorable and always eager to learn. This camp was in 3 different parts of the Marche region and it was very interesting and eye opening to see the varying levels of English knowledge the kids had from camp to camp. The local councelors are great - Clearly hard working and devoted to their cause. They were always ready to help with any questions we had. Of course the big perk of having weekends off to explore the rest of such a beautiful country wasn't a bad deal either! Last but not least, the other councelors that I met and had the pleasure of living with were wonderful - I have made lifelong friends and will always remember this incredible journey. Definately a program to keep as an option if you are looking for a well rounded travel experience!!!!

Italian Summer

I could not have asked for a better summer opportunity. It was my first time going abroad, and I loved every minute of it. This experience was so much more than just working at a summer camp, I got to indulge myself in a different culture and experience things I never thought I would. I loved being able to get away from the tourist areas and actually communicate with authentic Italians, who are proud of who they are and their culture. This experience is just the beginning of my travels abroad.

This Was A Life Changing Experience

This program overall was an incredible experience that I would easily do every summer. Not only do you get to explore a different country but you also get to make a difference and teach children and have fun with them.

Every person throughout this journey has been more than helpful and it made it a very comfortable and rewarding experience. There isn't a thing I would change about my month in Italy except for the amount of time I got to spend there, which wasn't enough.

• Teacher Support

Italy Summer Camp Provided An Exceptional Opportunity For Both The Tutors And The Kids Involved.

Although it may seem like an overused sentiment, but "You Can Camp" was truly life changing.

Everyone who runs the camp is so kind and extremely generous. They truly care about the kids and their future and they go out of their way to make the tutors feel comfortable.

I honestly discovered new things about myself. I had no desire to teach before this camp, and no I am very seriously considering getting a teaching certificate or a master in education. Besides that, Italy is just amazing anyways! I would love to go back.

Amazing Experience Living And Tutoring In Italy

I had an amazing time living and volunteering in Macerata, Italy. Even though I have limited experience with traveling abroad and teaching, Geovisions helped me to feel completely prepared and excited about my trip. The accommodations and staff were wonderful, and the camps were organized and fun. I learned so much about Italian culture, working with others, and traveling independently through the summer camp program. I highly recommend this company any program to anyone interested in teaching and living abroad!

Wonderful Experience Teaching And Traveling!!

I was a You Can Camp tutor the summer of 2011. I had a wonderful experience...one that I think of often and wish I could do again. The administration for the program were very helpful, kind and understanding. They are what make this program so enjoyable. They were helpful not only in our teaching duties but also our traveling as well. If you have ever been to another country you know how difficult it can be to find your way around...the You Can Camp staff made it so much easier. Our accommodations were excellent as well. We had a nice little apartment that we shared and after a few days it felt like home. I made life long friendships while tutoring in Italy for the You Can Camp program. I still talk with other tutors on a regular basis and visit with them about 2-3 times a year. Overall this is a wonderful program to help you grow as a teacher and see the beauty that is Italy.

Experience Of A Lifetime

I cannot put into words how wonderful the You Can Camp program is. I spent two months living and teaching at the Porto Sant'Elpidio location and it was amazing. The people who run the camp are so kind and helpful -- I miss them so much! The Italian children are eager to learn and easily engaged, making teaching them a joy. The camp also provides ample supplies and resources as well as detailed outlines of games and lesson plans for each day of camp. Not only were my days spent at camp a pleasure, but the lunches after were out of this world. All aspects of the You Can Camp summer camp exceeded my expectations. I truly cannot rave enough about the program. I had the time of my life and had a hard time leaving, especially the people who run the camp. When they said good bye to me at the airport, I was in tears!

That being said, I feel that certain traits are needed to make the most of this experience. An open mind, a positive attitude, a great deal of respect, and an eagerness and appreciation for foreign cultures, language, and children are all necessary to be happy and successful in this program. I tried to make the most of my experience and I feel that I was successful. I would love to go back next summer to teach or even just to visit the people that run You Can Camp!

Italy English Tutor

Amazing experience, highly recommend! Program provided a unique, unforgettable experience. The staff is helpful and the kids were awesome. The living situation in Italy left something to be desired, but the staff over there were incredibly hospitable and helped to create lifelong memories. This summer was one that won't be forgotten!

Fantastic Summer in Italy

This was an excellent experience teaching abroad. I learned so much about what it means to teach English as a second language, and all that I have learned will definitely help me in the classroom in the future.

Experience Of A Lifetime

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to be a part of such a unique program. The experience was more than I expected and was lifechanging. I think all of the tutors left a significant impact on the lives of the children at camp and vice versa. I enjoyed meeting new people and being a part of the Italian culture. I would highly recommend this program to someone who loves children and appreciates the Italian culture.

A Memorable Experience

I recently participated in this program as a volunteer in Eastern Italy. I had am amazing experience that changed my life! Working with the children was challenging at times, but so rewarding. The parents were very appreciative and thrilled their children were learning English from native speakers. All the camp directors were very organized and attentive to details and the curriculum was well planned. I am a junior high teacher in the US and took away some great ideas I will use in my own classroom.

Outside of teaching, the boarding and meal accommodations were wonderful. I had more than enough time to explore the city and travel out of town on the weekends. I truly felt I was submerged in the Italian culture. I would definitely participate in this program again. Thank you GeoVisions!

Good Experience, But It Could've Been Better.

Working at the Italian summer camp was nice. I loved the kids and it's given me great experience for my future career. The only thing I wished they did was half way through the experience, ask how your doing, and how it is working with the other volunteers. They asked informally, of course, but this didn't give an opportunity to tell them what was really going on within our teaching groups (between volunteers.)

I recommend this program, just make sure you're not someone who doesn't like to speak up about things that aren't going right - other wise the problems will never be fixed.