Genki Japanese and Culture School students learning Japanese Genki Japanese and Culture School students learning Japanese

Learn Japanese with the Best: Study Abroad in Japan!

GenkiJacs was absolutely awesome!

It's been a year and half since I last studied at Genkijacs but it was absolutely an amazing experience in every aspect. First of all, the administration and teachers go out of their way to make your stay and learning experience the best it could possibly be. If I had any questions, they would not hesitate to help me. They really do their best. Also, the school does it's best to achieve an atmosphere that is friendly, inclusive, and fun for all students! Each class I looked forward to because I'd have such a good time in class while being challenged at the same time. In addition, my homestay was more than I could have asked for. She was basically like a mom and really took care of me. I couldn't have asked for more. I recommended GenkiJacs 100%!

Fantastic experience, that one would not want to miss out on

GenkiJacs is a well structured class to help with your Japanese, in all situations, which is a great thing to do. Considering you will be living in the country. The teachers are the nicest people I have ever met, and are always there to help you. Be it sentence structures, vocabulary and a lot more, they are always there with a smile on their faces.
Having the classes with 3-8 people is a satisfying, de-stressing and excellent. Especially if you feel like the answer is incorrect, go for it, and the teacher, along with classmates, will help you.
GenkiJacs is like a family, which is quite comforting.
The courses are extremely fun. Including the extra activities, where you get to learn about cultural activities that the Japanese did/still do or just even conversation class, where you have a topic to talk about, and you speak full on Japanese.
I highly suggest this program as it really helps with your speaking, writing, and everyday experiences in Japan.

Great school

I have attended several Japanese language courses in Europe and Japan. GenkiJACS proved to be the best Japanese language school I found. In all regards, from location and atmosphere to staff and teaching methods it is absolutely first class. The teachers were all very professional and committed, extremely helpful and patient. I particularly liked the fact that passing tests as such was not the primary aim but rather the positive learning atmosphere. I also liked the emphasis on developing the students' speaking skills. Altogether the course was a very motivating experience to go on with my Japanese studies.

The mixture of students at the school was another positive aspect of the school. At first I thought my age might be a problem in a school with mainly young people but it turned out to be no problem at all. Virtually all age groups are represented and students come from all over the world.

I shouldn't forget to add that the school is very well-run and efficiently organized. The administrative staff were always extremely nice and ready to help and advise. Last but not least the new school building near Hakata station is a definite asset. Much nicer than being on one floor of a big building the school now occupies a whole if slightly narrow building that helps create a feeling of a community.
I definitely want to go back to GenkiJACS.

Terrific!!

I attended GENKIJACS Tokyo for only 2 weeks (I wish I could have stayed longer) and I loved it so much.

First of all, the school location is brilliant! Its situated in the exciting suburb Shinjuku, right next door to a shrine, and conveniently only a 5 minute walk from Shinjuku Station.

Secondly and most importantly, the teachers are all very friendly, fun, patient and excellent at teaching Japanese. The teachers always made conversations in Japanese in class with us which was much more beneficial than doing the drill conversations which are scripted in the textbook. The classes are of small size which gives you the opportunity to talk more in Japanese and to easily ask any questions.

Then after class there is plenty of free time to explore Tokyo, or take part in a variety of activities that the school provides. These activities are fun and great for experiencing Japanese culture and also provide a good opportunity to hang out with your classmates and to make friends with other students.

Another thing which I had a terrific experience with was the accommodation I got. I stayed in a guest house where a few other GNEKIJACS students also stayed. I stayed at Grand Jete Fuchu which has great facilities and a good bedroom. I made some really good friends there and we got to travel to school together and then hang out at night time together. There were also some Japanese people living there who were very kind and liked talking to us in Japanese.

Overall, my GENKIJACS experience was fantastic and I’m saving up to go again next year! I definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoys studying Japanese language and culture.

Amazing stay at GenkiJACS Tokyo branch

I have studied in GenkiJACS Tokyo branch for a period of four months from the beginning of March until the end of July.
The experience was not less than pleasurable. All the stages from the enrollment until the last of day of school were really good.
Unlike many other schools, GenkiJACS was quick to reply to my mail of inquiry and has given me all the information I wanted and more. I have been in direct contact with the school all the time prior to my arrival. The detailed site of the school is also commendable.
The school was centrally located, a two minute walk from Shinjuku-Sanchome station. The classes and the lounge were well equipped.
Upon the first day of arrival I have been greeted with welcoming smiles from the staff and has felt welcome ever since. Both coordinators went out of their way to help me with everything and anything and made my stay much more comfortable.
All the teachers were very experienced and the classes were fun. The study material was carefully selected, and the classes and in-class exercises were well prepared.
I have also enjoyed the extra-curricular activities.
During my study period my Japanese level has risen substantially, and I am looking forward to return for a longer period to study further.

My one month at Genki JACS

I had the fortunate opportunity to study at GenkiJACS for about 1 month in Fukuoka City. During my experience there, I participated in several classes to include: 4 Skills Classes, Grammar Classes, and Conversational Classes. The administrative staff and instructors did their best to place me within the appropriate level class to maintain a level of challenge without being too over/underwhelming. Compared to other language schools I have studied at, the instructors at GenkiJACS are very enthusiastic about sharing the Japanese language with foreign students. Likewise, the instructors are very enthusiastic in going beyond the language aspect and striving to share cultural aspects of the local area. Although I took many classes throughout my time at GenkiJACS, the instructors did their best to make the lessons interesting and relevant. For example, during my conversational classes, my instructors would select humorous and/or interesting topics that would peak my interest. Although I am not yet fluent in Japanese, my instructors have gladly helped me during my times of struggle and have sought to keep me challenged by explaining things in simpler terms utilizing simpler Japanese. Furthermore, while my instructors were very professional in the classroom, they were also great companions/friends who love to hang out with the students with optional after-school activities.

The administrative staff at GenkiJACS has been one of the very best I have ever interacted with. While my homestay family was not the closest family to the school, the administrative staff would always go out of their way to help me regarding anytravel questions during my free time. When I had a question about a certain place I wished to visit in Japan, the staff would either help me themselves or point me to the right person. They will also help you out if you experience a strong language barrier when trying to coordinate things with your host family and/or setup travel plans on your free time. The administrative staff members are very approachable and have a few jokes up their sleeves. At any time if you experience any issues whether with your accommodations or travel arrangements to/from the school, the administrative staff will do their best to improve such conditions.

The school is fantastic for those who wish to not only learn the language but also experience the culture. GenkiJACS offers voluntary cultural sessions for students who wish to do something unique on their free time. Sometimes, the school offers interactive events with local college students and/or English learners who wish to interact with foreigners. I had was very lucky to attend a Cherry Blossom viewing with local English learners at the local park. Not only was I able to share my own culture, but I was able to gain further insight into the Japanese culture while practicing my Japanese.

Regarding other aspects of GenkiJACS,GenkiJACS is very accessible within Fukuoka City. It is located near one of the major subway/rail stations. Surrounding the school are many restaurants, shopping malls, and cultural landmarks. During my time with GenkiJACS, I was able to find something to do everyday. GenkiJACS is also has one of the most motivated foreign students. Many students I have met during my time at school were very motivated in learning Japanese and very friendly. Never have I ever felt afraid or intimidated. Everyone was jovial and welcoming. It was very easy for me to make many friends and experience the Japanese culture and language with many different people from all over the world.

In short, if you want to be in a fun place where effective learning takes place, I would suggest GenkiJACS. Both the school staff and students are friendly in a safe district near many fun places.

• The Campus

The best two weeks of my life!!

Last summer I went to Japan for the first time for a little over two weeks to study Japanese at a language school. I can honestly say it was the best experience of my life so far, so much so, I want to go back after university to study in Japan for a minimum of a year.
The language school Genki Jacs I believe is everything you could possibly need in a school. They take on complete beginners so don't worry if you can'r already speak Japanese, the only thing you need to do before starting at this school is learn Hiragana! It's essential to know this because it's like saying you want to learn English without knowing the alphabet.
The majority of students here are from Europe/ America. And most speak English so it is very easy to make friends with like minded people and you really get to know people you share your classes with! It's a very relaxed and friendly environment so there is no need to panic about making friends, everyone greets each other and is very polite.
The teachers at Genki Jacs are amazing! They really take into consideration your ability level and the lessons are structured so that you cover grammar and conversation everyday. I was only there for 2 weeks and I went from only being able to ask for directions, time and basic introductions to being able to talk about myself more (e.g what I study, what I like/ don't like to eat, what music/movies I like), plans for the week, ask people about their day and so much more! I am certain that if you put in the work (yes you do get homework, everyday!) you will improve so quickly without even realising.
I chose the Japanese with activities course, so I had the usual Japanese lessons but then 3 times a week I would also have an extra activity after or before class. There was a choice between Japanese traditional or pop culture. There were activities like, Tea ceremony, Maid cafe, visiting Shrines and Temples. I really recommend doing this course because you really get to see things that may be a little difficult to organise on your own.
There are quite a few options for accommodation, however I chose a student dormitory. I really enjoyed my time staying here as I was able to make not only Japanese friends, but also meet a variety of people from all over the world! I had my own room/ bath room and had a shared kitchen with all the equipment needed (if you did want your own bowls, chop sticks ect, the 100yen stores can accommodate for that). The only down side for me, is that at the time of year I went there are many insects so don't be surprised by the amount of mosquitoes!
Although I can't compare this school to any other in Japan, I am positive you will have a brilliant time here!

• The Campus

Excellent scholl, the best for me

The Genki JACS school in Tokyo is the perfect school for me. Just to set a base line here: I enjoyed language training in France (2x), Russia (1x) and now in Japan, for the very first time.
1) Location: well, the location is PERFECT, close to subway and train station of Shinjuku, department stores nearby (excellent for a quick lunch break), sights etc.
2) staff: the staff at the Geni JACS is probably the closest thing you can have to a family abroad, they are ALL extremely helpful, very patient (no matter what crazy ideas or wishes you come up with) and take care of you in a way you might not be used to when coming from Europe.
3) teachers: GREAT teachers, with a sense of humor, never losing focus, always friendly but serious enough to keep you going and reach the ambitious goals; they handle everyone, youngsters and old-timers (like me) alike;
4) the excursions and culture program: this is the only thing that I had to criticize, and I already gave input to the school itself; the program is GREAT, but there is never enough time to fully live it! e.g. the tea ceremony - wonderful to watch, but not enough time to fully try it on your own; or the Origami museum/paper manufacture, GREAT to watch, but only a child size origami to do on your own (which takes about 1 minute); nevertheless, the ideas are wonderful and the people at the various sites are wonderful too, but it is simply not enough time;
all in all, I can't wait to got there again, maybe even longer! Highly recommendable!

• The Campus

A Wonderful Program For All Students!

I studied at GenkJACKS for 4 weeks in summer, and received credit from my university. It was a great program, I learned loads, and I had an amazing time. The good points were:
... I got study credit from my university
... I could take different courses each week
... They had lots of activities for us to do, like parties and cultural things
... Classes were really small
... I felt like they knew me like a person not like a number
... Fukuoka City was a fun place to stay. I didn't know it before I went there but I really liked it.
... The classes were hard but not too hard, and the teachers really helped if any of the students weren't doing so well
... My homestay family and the friends I made in Fukuoka are wondeful and I'll stay in touch with them for the rest of my life!

Everything was arranged without any problem, and they kept in touch with my university so i could get credit that I needed.

The school had lots of cultural classes and activities and stuff to keep us busy outside of the classroom which was really fun. But some students spoke a bit too much English, so sometimes I wanted them to speak more Japanese.

My host family were amazing! We had so much fun together, and they showed me around the city. That reminds me: Fukuoka city was really nice. Not as big as Tokyo of course, but it was really easy to live in and get around, and the people were really nice too.

Classes were great and really small. My class only had 4 students! It felt like the teachers really cared about us, not like I was just another faceless student. The classes went pretty fast, but it wasn't difficult to keep up. And I could get credit from my university for studying there!

Fubar is the best club in town! All you can drink for 1000 yen!

I am a "repeater" at Genki JACS Fukuoka

I am what they call at Genki JACS (and in Japan in general) “a repeater”. It simply means I have come back at Genki JACS. And why? I just feel so much at ease here. Last year I came for the first time at the recommendation of a young fellow Japanese language student in Belgium, and she proved herself right. The teachers are competent, friendly, pay attention to your individual needs and ... without exception have a humorous twitch. In fact I must extend this flattery to the office staff as well. And guess what, I saw many repeaters this year at Genki JACS, which made it at times a happy reunion.

Before I decided to come, I had some hesitation because I am, let us say, at the upper level of the age scale. It is true that there are more young students at Genki JACS, but to their credit, and not in the least because Genki JACS truly creates an all-inclusive atmosphere, they make you blend in easily.

This text has been written in English, because my Japanese is not yet proficient enough to reflect all these thoughts and opinions. But don’t be mistaken : Genki JACS will encourage students at any possible occasion to communicatie in Japanese, so you will not be locked into English (or any other language) during breaks or events organized by the school outside class. You will get what you are here for : learn Japanese!

Join me next year and make yourself a “repeater” too, and while you’re here, don’t forget to discover the gems of Fukuoka and Kyuushuu which are not hidden very well.

• The Campus

Enjoyable, both socially and academically

I studied at the Tokyo campus from February to May this year, 15 weeks in total. I was a complete beginner when I came but felt that I learned quickly, probably mostly thanks to competent teachers and small classes. The first weeks we were only four students in my class. However, winter seemed to be "low season" and after those first weeks we were usually seven, which is still not bad of course but definitely made a difference. The classes on the lowest levels usually had more students than the higher ones. With seven students the small classrooms feel quite full. But no matter what time of the year you come, both class sized and teaching seems to be a lot better than at other language schools. This one might be a little more expensive but it will be worth it.

I also think the pace is higher compared to many other schools, but sometimes I still felt that we spent a lot of time repeating . In the end I am happy about that though, since I would probably have forgotten a lot by this time if we hadn't. Also, the additional classes you can take (like conversation and kanji) are quite unique and good if you want to "fill your time" with more than the standard classes plus homework. Kanji and conversation classes (especially conversation I think) are both useful and affordable.

Another thing I liked about the school is that you don't have to choose between morning or afternoon classes (like in many other schools). Your schedule looks different from week to week but I liked it. Some days I could sleep out and come to school around lunch, other days I started 9:30 and had the whole afternoon off instead - perfect when you want to explore the city. The school's location in Shinjuku is, btw, a very good starting point for exploring Tokyo. Finally, not only did I improve my Japanese, I also had a lot of fun and made many new friends. The staff and teachers are all nice and helpful and there's a good mix with students of different ages and nationalities.

Guillermo Asseburg review

Studying at Genki was something really cool, because I got to meet a lot of people from different countries, the teachers at genki are really nice and they manage to make the classes entertaining, I studied for 1 month and I think I learned a lot of Japanese in a short period of time, they have good activities, the problem is that most of them are on Friday and require extra payment, the staff at genki is really nice, they helped me a lot to solve the problems I had in Japan, like finding certain places, or helping me to do certain activities, also they are good listeners, and you can talk to them at anytime.

Month-long study

I studied at GenkiJACS for one month. I had previously studied Japanese in college, but had taken a couple of years off. Upon arriving at school, they administered a placement test. The classes were based off of skill and ranged from 2-6 people. The teachers rotated among the classes, which provided a variety of teaching styles and dialects (which helped improve my listening skills). The students were also awesome as there was so much cultural diversity! I learned so much in just one month. I highly recommend GenkiJACS to someone who is serious about learning Japanese - there is class everyday and oftentimes, there is homework, so you do have to take it seriously to improve!

• The Campus

A fun place to study Japanese!

I studied at the Fukuoka branch of genki jacs for 9 weeks and had a really fabulous time here. Overall my experience was positive and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it. I have outlined what I consider to be the main selling points of the school, and a few areas where there is some room for improvement.

The organisation of the company itself is really good. Pre-arrival communication was very efficient and informative and I couldn't fault it. Any queries were answered promptly and Genki jacs will organise your accommodation, provide you with directions to it, or even arrange airport pick ups upon request.

The classrooms are spatious, well lit, comfortable and all have air-con.

Every teacher I had was of high quality, but on top of this they were exceptionally friendly and taught with a sense of humour. They provided a relaxed working environment, whilst also encouraging Japanese speaking in the classroom.

The Genki textbook is well structured and I found the content useful for daily conversation.

I thought that the testing system employed was just right. 10 words from the weeks vocabulary list were informally checked daily. Then every three chapters, a slightly more formal, but still largely relaxed test was taken. I think that these reviews were important for reinforcing learning, and they were carried out in a way that avoided being at all pressurising. Following a test, homework would be given out individually to reflect the grammar points you personally needed to work on.

When there are public holidays, the school will organize some sort of complimentary trip. This was great for getting to socialize with a wider range of people within the school and also provided the opportunity to experience some culture, as well as seeing somewhere different.

The school offers a language exchange partners system as well as social events on Fridays to sign up to.

The reception staff are always willing to listen to any qualms you may have and will try to help in any way possible.

Although I have no major negative words to say, there are just a few things I thought I would point out.

As I mentioned, I thought the testing system on vocab and grammar was very appropriate, however the same was not done with kanji. It would be useful to have some writing recap in class because it definitely needs reinforcing when it's only touched upon once a week.

The dormitory accommodation I was in was perfectly functional and conveniently located but the communal areas are fairly unclean. If staying for longer than a month or two I would recommend potentially looking into some other options.

Having had a couple of weeks of conversation classes where it was just me, when more people joined, I I did have to repeat the same work sheet as it hadn't been liaised between the teachers what I had covered. I also found that 6 people, although fine for a grammar lesson, was too many for a conversation class and that I would leave the 'conversation' class having barely spoken a word. Having said this, when the group was smaller it was great practice.

Lastly I would say that if you are looking for a very intensive place of study, then you may find the pace at Genki Jacs slightly too relaxed. Although for me, the fun learning environment was why I loved it so much, so it just depends what you're after.

2-week study at GenkiJACS

I study Japanese in my home country in my spare time. This was my first time studying Japanese in Japan and it was great. I am pleased that I have found GenkiJACS via internet search. The whole experience would be even better if the school information package had arrived at the host family on time so that I didn't get lost on my first day to school. Despite of this, the overall experience was very positive. The teachers were friendly and I appreciated that the quality of teaching was consistent among all teachers. The 4-S and grammar approach is effective. I use a different textbook in my home country so it was a bit hard for me to catch up but I wanted to thank the teachers because they were very patient and gave me some individual attention in class. I also enjoyed the home-stay program very much. I do plan to return to GenkiJACS in the future if my work schedule allows.

Japanese studies at Genki JACS in Tokyo

This school is absolutely worth studying there! The teachers and stuff are very friendly and giving their best to make everybody happy and answer questions as good as possible. The atmospere in school is more like a meeting point for friends, and there are lots of possibilities to meet and talk with each other. The school is hosting a movie night every week and making city tours. Aswell one a week they organize a dinner at different japanese places. The lessons are very convenient as you study grammar, vocabulary and kanji in a friendly environment as you conversate a lot aswell about everyday life related topics.
Even if you have other issues refering to your life in Japan, the staff gives its best to help you.
It was the best school I ever studied with, so I highly recommend Genki JACS!

A great place for a cultural adventure

My most memorable experiences would be all of the interesting food, markets, and festivals. Always something interesting to see and do.

The school is particularly well suited to western students.

I have been several times, and stayed in private apartments. They are very small (~18-23 sqm), but clean, safe, and functional.

A great place for a cultural adventure

When I was 47 I decided that I wanted to have an adventure and immerse myself in another culture. I wanted to go to Japan for 6 weeks to learn about language, food, art, history, and religion. After doing quite a bit of research online I chose GenkiJACS in Fukuoka, because they offered both language and culture classes geared for westerners. Other schools seem to be more focused on language for business or Asian students that already know kanji. I also liked the idea of being in a smaller city with the ocean and countryside nearby.

I didn’t speak any language at all when I arrived, so eating was a bit tricky at first, but the school is a wonderful home base. The staff is extremely friendly, helpful, and always happy to do what it takes for you to feel comfortable and enjoy the experience. Class sizes are small, usually 4 to 6 students. The teachers are knowledgeable, skilled at keeping things on track, and most are pretty funny, which makes class a lot of fun.

Several days a week various culture classes are offered, such as: ikebana, calligraphy, cooking, tea ceremony, zen meditation, a visit to an obi weaving studio, all sorts of things. It varies through the year. There is also movie night and one night a week a group dinner for students to socialize at various nearby restaurants. Students also frequently get together in the evening for dinner, or sometimes day trips on the weekend to do some sightseeing.

Most of the students are in their early 20’s, and as an older student I was a little concerned at first whether I would fit it. However, I quickly made friends with many students young and older, and I felt very comfortable. Overall it has been a wonderful experience, and I have been back each year. I think it might also be fun to try the recently added Tokyo branch!

There is probably only one minor issue I can think of: the classroom temperature is frequently too warm for me, 25-28C (77F-82F). The teachers and girl students seem to love it, but I’ve heard a few other guys agree that they wish the classrooms were a bit cooler. To be fair, it’s not just the school. I’ve found many indoor places in Japan to be really warm.

Overall you couldn’t ask for a cleaner safer place, or more hospitable people. If you are polite, courteous, and thoughtful, it will come back to you as a wonderful and unforgettable life experience.

Private apartments are really small, and their ceilings and doorways are too low.

A great experience

I loved the small class sizes and laid back atmosphere. The teachers and staff are great. Everyone got along very well. The teachers push you to excel and learn, but its not a lot of pressure. At the end of the course, I took the Japanese language and Proficiency Test and passed. The teachers really helped me prepare for the test and I'm grateful.

The school has a great reputation, good staff, and good teachers, and was recommended to me by a friend.

Since I live in Fukuoka, I have my own accommodations. But the other students either had dormitory style rooms or stayed with a host family. Everyone I talked to seemed to be happy with their living arrangements.

Genki Jacs, a great experience

I attended Genki Japanese and Language school from April 2013-August 2013. I actually live here in Fukuoka City. I had a different experience because I live and work here in Fukuoka. I have great memories of this school, and I recommend this school.

• The Campus

My second time to study in Genki

The teachers are helpful to students for any academic problems or any cultural stock encountered in Japan. The first time I studied in Genki was to stay with a host family; the second time I stayed in a dorm, and both options are great to you to experience Japanese culture. For living in the dorm, you can meet lots of young Japanese and know their way of life; By staying with a host family, you can improve your Japanese quicker as you can use it in real life practice.

Greatful for the GenkiJACS experience

My most memorable experiene was simply going to a camera store and being able to explain my problem in Japanese.

I chose the program because of the great pre-sign-up support from the school.

I stayed at a Private apartment in a great part of a city.

Japanese from Zero at GenkiJACS

When I joined GenkiJACS, I knew only three or four phrases and I could read and write kana. In six months I learned so much that I can now have conversation with native Japanese speakers. Even when I don't know a word, it can be explained to me in Japanese.

I am greatful for the GenkiJACS experience. The teachers were great and the staff supports students in every way possible. Everything went smooth for me since I first started talking to the school representative. They cover a lot, but the lessons are fun most of the time.

I joined the school in April and next three months were great. However the school got very crowded in summer due to summer holidays all over the world. Classes were great when there were just 3-4 students, but got a bit difficult when there were 7 or even 8. The classrooms are tiny and the lack of fresh air doesn't help neither.

It is possible to join GenkiJACS with any level of Japanese at any time. They give you a test to judge your ability and then put you in the correct class. This isn't neither good or bad. It makes it easy to join the school but it often creates classes with people of different ability.

To summarize my experience, I'd say that I would pick GenkiJACS again, but I would avoid studying in summer.