Gap Medics Header Image Gap Medics Header Image

Gap Medics Pre-Health Shadowing Internships Abroad

Amazing experience

I have been to Thailand in 2014, and it is a truly amazing experience. Part of the reason is you don't get such opportunities to 'be a staff' in fields related to healthcare. I enjoyed everyday of the trip. Not only you are allowed to visit the deepest part of their system, also to meet some fantastic or even life long friends. The staffs were so nice and they were so helpful in everything. It is just amazing.

An Awesome Experience!

It's hard to put into words how valuable I found my month with Gap Medics, so I will explain a bit about myself first. I am the type of person who is usually never satisfied with the services and items that I purchase, I always feel like I have wasted my money and could have done without it. I am happy to say I don't feel at all like this trip was a waste, in fact if I did not have to go back to England I could have quite happily stayed there for longer.

From the start the Gap Medics staff were fantastic, they worked so hard for all of the students and made us feel really welcome. It made things so much more comfortable for me, as I had never traveled on my own to a new country before. The hospital placements were interesting and I was shown how to perform many clinical skills (e.g. the percussion technique) and observe a range of surgeries. This has expanded my clinical knowledge and has been really useful in medical interviews I had after returning from my trip. The social life was fantastic as everyone was interested in medicine and were enthusiastic about exploring Thailand. Safety was never a worry as we were looked after really well by the staff.

If you want to have a fantastic experience and learn about medicine at the same time, really consider using Gap Medics. You wont regret it.

An Awesome Experience!

Opportunity of a lifetime

Being able to travel to Thailand was most certainly an amazing experience. Going to the hospitals everyday and being able to witness surgeries and other medical procedures was eye-opening. Chiang Mai is also a very beautiful city and the activities organized for us were fun and engaging. The night market and visit to the temple were highlights during the trip.

Great opportunity to expand

I enjoyed my time spent in Tanzania and still talk about it all the time. I would recommend this program to anyone who is questioning their desire to enter into the medical field. Also, it was a great experience to expand the ability to work with a diverse group of people since many of the students come from all over and of course the doctors are from Tanzania. This gives a great perspective on the Tanzanian culture along with the medical community in general.

BEST month of my life, miss it every day!

Gap Medics was the best program I could have chosen for the summer before staring university as a pre-med student in the US. I was dreading starting the eight year run through undergraduate school and medical school-- I needed an amazing trip before it all to clear my head and make sure medicine is really what I want to commit so much time to. Gap Medics was the perfect program, I learned so much not only about how local hospitals in Tanzania deal with their resources and the prevalent local illnesses, but also about East African culture (African time!) and even picked up some Swahili! I always felt safe in the house, loved the delicious food prepared by our amazing chef Akiba, and made amazing friends with so much in common who I still stay in touch with!

A day looked something like: waking up early, eating a hearty breakfast, taking a Malaria pill :), busing 30 min to Tosamaganga hospital, shadowing a doctor per week and asking them questions as they explain to us what they are asking patients and how they are being treated, an hour-ish lecture on a disease by a doctor from the hospital, busing back to Iringa to either get lunch in town or back home to make your own, and then free time for the rest of the day! We often went to Neema's Cafe to use the internet and eat, shopped around town, or visited local orphanages. There were weekly soccer (fine, football) matches with the students and staff, and weekly mouth-watering barbeques! I went on two excursions, to Ruaha National Park on a safari and to Zanzibar island - honestly, the perfect vacations!

By far the best month of my life thus far, and always a great experience for me to bring up during interviews. A great opportunity to learn and have a great time!

Gap Year in Tanzania

I spent 3 weeks at the gap medics house in Tanzania and can say with confidence that they were some of the best 3 weeks of my life. I meet amazing students from around the world and learned A LOT about medicine in the short time I spent at the hospital. The doctors were great and the Gap Medics staff was more than welcoming. The food was wonderful, orientation very thorough, always things going on (fun things!) and informative seminars. These 3 weeks helped guide me in the right direction and am now entering a physician assistant program in the Fall. Thanks Gap Medics for the amazing opportunity!

Gap Medics Tanzania

This program was one of the most influential experiences in regards to gaining clinical experience for medical school. Gap Medics provided me a chance to see healthcare in a setting that is dramatically different from the one I've experienced back at home (United States). The surgeries that you'll see and the way that healthcare is delivered is one of the most eye-opening experiences. It is definitely a chance to step outside your comfort zone and gain insight to medicine practiced in other parts of the world. Additionally, the people that you meet in the program adds to the wonderful experience of connecting with peers from other parts of the world with radically different backgrounds.

Best experience of my life

This program completely exceeded my expectations. Upon arrival you automatically feel welcomed. Within little time I felt like I had known everyone my entire life and we truly did feel like a family. The staff and mentors were so kind and helpful. There was never a dull or boring moment. The food was terrific and we definitely looked forward to meal times. I learned more in the 3 weeks I was there than I have ever learned in that amount of time. I would have never been able to experience and witness the great things I did in the hospital without Gapmedics. I was nervous 3 weeks would be too long and I would get homesick, but leaving was hard because I wanted to stay in Tanzania longer and so did everyone in the program. This program is educational, fun, and so worth the cost.

Life Changing Experience!

I always wanted to be a doctor, but I knew I had to do something in order to reassure that it would be the best occupation for me. That is when I decided to do some research for a program that would submerge me into the medical world in a way in which I had never seen it before. I stumbled across the program Gap Medics, and after doing a lot of research, decided it was the perfect program for me!

From the beginning, the staff at Gap Medics were always only a phone call or email away. They would constantly check up on me and assure I had everything prepared prior to arrival. It was really reassuring knowing that I was going to be taken care of before, during, and after my time with Gap Medics.
The minute I got off the plane, I was greeted by the friendliest of faces from the Gap Medics team and I knew I was in great hands. After a good night's sleep in a well accommodating hotel, we embarked on our long bus journey to the town of Iringa. Though a long ride, it was a great introduction to Africa and was never boring.

Finally in the town of Iringa, we were welcomed by a whole team of staff and fellow participants. We were shown our accommodations and I could not have been more impressed! Bright, spacious, and clean bathrooms and bedrooms are scattered across the property that really feel like your home away from home. The common house is equipped with a full kitchen and family room as well! Not to mention, the property is very safe with full security and barriers.
Now on to the best part of Gap Medics, the placement! It was truly amazing being placed in different parts of the hospital each week. I was able to witness and participate in things I never thought possible. For instance, my second week there I watched an above the knee amputation....best day of my life! I even got to help put casts on broken arms, administer shots, and help assist in surgeries! It was the best experience I could've asked for and really showed me what it is like to be a doctor.

In addition to the medical placements, I was able to volunteer at a local orphanage for a week. This was another life-changing experience. Being able to help out in any way was truly rewarding.

Though you can't always have all work and no play and Tanzania has a lot to offer! We frequently visited the shops, markets, and restaurants in Iringa after our work day or during the weekends. If you are wondering if you should do the safari they provide, my answer is YES. It was one of the best experiences of my life. The weekend trip gives you everything you could ever want out of an authentic safari; not to mention the lodge you stay at is absolutely gorgeous.

I recommend this program to everyone. I was there for a month and it was the best month of my life. It truly offered learning experiences you just can't get in the States.