FUA Florence University of the Arts Header Image FUA Florence University of the Arts Header Image

Study Abroad Programs in Florence, Italy

The best semester yet

After living in the city for almost four months, Florence easily became a second home to me. FUA provided endless opportunities to really become immersed with all aspects of the Italian culture. I wouldn't have traded my experience for anything!

Everything Great except housing and housing coordinator

Studying abroad was the best experience of my life, and I hope I can do it again before I graduate. The people of my program were fantastic as well as the locals. The only problem I had with FUA was the housing and housing coordinator. My apartment was almost a half hour walk from the school, which isn't all that bad, but who wants to walk a half hour at 8 in the morning. My apartment was the only one this far away, which made it very difficult to interact with the other people of my program since they all had housing closer together near the school. In addition, the housing coordinator for FUA was rude and, at times, unhelpful. We would put in work orders and no one would come for weeks if at all. If I were to do it all again, I would want to be much closer to the school. Yes, I could have bought a bike, but I shouldn't be forced to buy one because they decided to put me so far away from the school. Anyway, studying abroad is a great experience.

Italy was AMAZING

FUA made my study abroad experience amazing! From the first moment I got off the plane I was welcomed as a part of the FUA family. I met so many life long friends, learned Italian, gained a ton of business knowledge, and became more comfortable in my own skin. It was a trip that I will always cherish. I wish I could go back!

I loved all of my teachers. I still keep in touch with several of them.

I did a home stay. At first I was nervous, as I knew no Italian. However, the home stay was one of the best parts of my study abroad experience. The Andreini/ Hoger family was so friendly. They are my second family, and I still keep in touch with all of them.

Everyone at FUA was so friendly, upbeat, and helpful.

I never once felt unsafe.

Social Life:
There is never a dull moment! Live your life to the fullest!

Outstanding

I had a wonderful experience at this school. It really made me appreciate learning because I was actually interested in the topics I chose to study. My teachers were so inspiring and helpful. Living in Florence was a dream come true and I wish I never had to leave!

I had a wonderful experience with the digital arts department. I took 2 photography classes and they were my all time favorite. The teachers had passion, extraordinary skills and interesting lessons.

I lived in a fantastic apartment with access to a courtyard. The yard had an orange tree and it put a smile on my face every morning.

Because so many people speak English, it was hard to learn Italian. Also if you didn't go to the right bars, you got a typical American experience because there are so many students.

Everyone was very nice and helpful!

Felt very safe.

Always something to do.

FUA is awesome

FUA was a great program academically and socially. I learned a lot and made many new friends with FUA. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

Social Life:
A lot of clubs, bars and restaurants all within walking distance

Florence is to die for and you'll never want to leave!

Studying abroad in Florence with FUA was the greatest time of my whole life. It is almost too difficult to express what it is like. I was never more happy than when I was visiting museums, exploring the city with my friends, or taking in the night life. Every aspect of Florence will capture your heart and make you never want to leave.

Being an art history major, Florence offers so much of it's own teaching simply by being what it is. But, my professors at FUA completely amazed me. They went above and beyond to make my educational experience one of a kind and life changing. I have never learned more about my chosen area of study then when I was in Florence with my professors. Whether I was in the classroom or the streets of one of Italy's amazing cities, I was constantly learning.

My apartment was ADOREBALE. I could not have asked for anything better. Everyone who saw it commented on how nice it was. We had individual rooms, 2 bathrooms, a cozy kitchen and an awesome living room. My roommates and I really felt like it was our home.

When I was in Florence, I never once felt like I stood out as an American student. I felt like I was constantly being surrounded by culture and really felt like I lived an Italian lifestyle. Coming home was so difficult because I really missed every aspect of the culture. I took advantage of a lot of opportunities FUA offered me to really feel this way and it completely changed my experience.

The staff at FUA is nothing but the absolute BEST. They were there for me whenever I needed anything. They respond to your emails right away and if you stopped in to the office, someone was always there to greet you!

It can be dangerous walking anywhere in a strange foreign city at night, but Florence is seriously so safe!

Social Life:
I made so many life long friends and had a blast experiencing the Italian culture social life!

Best experience of my life, hands down.

I had the best experience studying abroad in Florence. The food, the people, the culture - they really have it all! Not to mention the amazing FUA staff who make your stay even better! They provide you with many opportunities to explore the city and outside of Florence as well!

I absolutely loved school when I was abroad. I liked that it was only once a week, which allowed the students to explore Florence and go on more trips!

Wow, FUA staff was so incredibly helpful when it came to housing. My roommate and I had such troubles at the beginning and the staff did everything to make sure our experience was better! They were awesome!

I loved the Florence culture and people. It was great getting to practice what I was learning in my Italian class out in the city!

Everything ran so smoothly. I have recommended FUA to everyone I know who is thinking of studying abroad because they were great!

I always felt safe walking around Florence, it was always so lively!

Social Life:
I met people that I will be able to connect with for the rest of my life!

Great Experience with FUA at Apicius

I had a great study abroad experience in Florence thanks to FUA. I was able to study baking and pastry arts at a great school under the direction of an amazing chef. I do not think my experience could be replicated at any other school, and FUA did an amazing job making me feel like a real part of the community.

The rigor of the classes was a great mix of hands on evaluation and history of baking and pastry arts.

I was able to live in a beautiful apartment in a very unique part of Florence. I could not have asked for a better location, and living in the Oltrano allowed me to be immersed in a neighborhood that I would not have seen if I didn't live there!

My chefs and other students studying at Apicius were from Italy and other places across the world, but I didn't get to interact as much as I would have liked with other Italian students my age.

There was some miscommunication at the beginning of my program with lab fees that were due, so I do not know if it was at fault of FUA or Study Abroad Italy.

I always felt very safe in Florence, and I felt like FUA was very honest about the possible dangers, and kept us very informed about how to keep ourselves safe.

Social Life:
Many opportunities to experience the culture of Florence

Amazingly put together

This trip was the most life-changing and incredible experience of my life thus far. I do not regret any moment of this trip and it is worth every penny spent. Everyone I went with talks about nothing but going back even several months later!

Well balanced curriculum that incorporates the city into the classroom and allows for cultural as well as academic enlightenment.

I had great roommates and an incredible apartment. There were no issues the entire six weeks.

The city was very student friendly and most people spoke english. Only issue was that we were pretty much dropped off with little to no guidance on how to get to class or find local markets. Finding markets would have saved me almost 200 euro the first week.

Everyone was accesible and went above and beyond to accomodate all of us.

Always had staff available to ensure safety and traveling in groups was the most significant factor in remaining safe. Only several people were in danger and that was because they traveled alone at night.

Social Life:
The club scene and nightlife were unlike anything you can experience in America! I would love to experience that again.

Studying and living in Florence has been one of the most valuable life experiences I have had so far

Study Abroad Italy makes it easy to live in a foreign country and feel safe. Whenever you have a problem they act as resource in an unfamiliar setting! Moreover the classes are great and give you plenty of time to enjoy living in and getting to know the city and wonderful people!

I think the classes were interesting and I was able to study and take time to enjoy the environment of living in a foreign country

apartments were in easy locations close to school and clean and safe

there could have been a lot more program opportunities to help immerse students into american culture- the family club and language exchange were not well organized

staff was unreliable and sometimes hard to get a hold of

Never felt unsafe in Florence. It is an amazing city!

Social Life:
Great people! You make a lot of friends and meet interesting people from all over the world!

Perfection

I had such a beautiful time during my time spent in Florence, Italy. The administration at FUA helped to make my stay more comfortable. Each faculty member was always waiting and willing to help with any questions or concerns that each student had. I loved the state of the art technology at FUA. Each school was equipped with the most up to date software and computer gear. This made doing assignments easier. I would recommend attending FUA to everyone who wishes to study abroad.

Life changing experience.

I have always wanted to study abroad and going to Florence through FUA was the most incredible experience I ever could have asked for. I had an incredible apartment in a beautiful area that overlooked the Arno river, and I loved every one of my classes and professors. Florence is an amazing city to study in because of all of the amazing museums, food, and culture that it offers.

Your garden is the world.

My one month stay in Florence made me realise how similar humans are. Despide the different cultures and habits, the world is just one and it is the garden of us all. My story is the others story, just told in a different way. Tavel as much as you can, get in touch with the many different people you can. To feel part of the world, with all it's problems and virtues, is incontrovertibly an extremely rich life experience.

I made the "Art and Architcture" course at FUA, which means that having classes outside the school to see and analyse the objects we' ve just studied in the classroom is essential. The outside classes are the best way to learn and retain information, even because we're talking about art and architecture, that are objects and spaces made to be felt.

I stayed at Via delle Terme, in the middle of the historical center. I couldn't be anywhere else. The top floor apartment (fourth floor) was big enough for five people living together with no problems. I was surrounded by Ponte Vecchio, Piaza della Signoria, the Duomo and Piazza della Republica, the best place for an art and architecture student.

It was a great experiance to be in Florence and not staying in a hotel. Sharing a house, going to the market and go walking to school every day permitted me to really live the city, made me feel a part of it. The only problem was that my italian was not that good, so I had to comunicate in english sometimes, even because our classes were taught in english, the level of immersion was limited.

Everything was very well organized. The trips we' ve made with FUA with a school guide were great. The italian cellphone helped me a lot when calling my home country. The internet took a while to be established, but I didn't miss it.

I stayed in the historical center, a very touristic area, which meant it was full of people all the time. Besides, there was a police station at the begining of the road I was living (Via delle Terme). If it wasn't safe, I didn't feel it.

Social Life:
Everybody was very kind all the time. All the FUA teachers and crew treated us very well and advised us about good places to go, priorities to study etc.

Unforgettable

My time spent over the summer in Florence as a student of FUA was the best experience of my entire life. The classes were appropriately challenging but, most importantly, taught me lessons beyond italian language and art history that I can never forget or replace. I would recommend this program to anyone assuring them they will have the absolute best, academically enriching, culturally immersed, amazing time of their life.

Over the summer, I studied Italian language and Art History in Florence. Both of these classes were some of the best I have ever had. I felt as though I was really learning the italian language faster than I ever have learned a foreign language in the school setting at home. The art history class provided me with experiences and visits to places that I will never forget and hold very close to my heart. Amazing.

At first our apartment seemed amazing but we soon found out the location was not the best, and there were little things around the house that were a little under average operating-wise.

The staff was very helpful in providing opportunities, advice, and experiences that made the cultural immersion very easy and extremely enjoyable.

Best experience of my life

I had the most amazing experience abroad. The classes FUA offered me were like no others I would be able to take back in the states. I learned a lot about the Italian culture and grew as a person through my experiences.

I loved my apartment my program put me in and loved the location!

I thought I was going to meet more Italians.

Never was worried about safety.

Great to do

Overall it was a fantastic experience that I would recommend to everyone. You learn so much in one semester, I was very sad that I wasn't ablel to stay longer!

All the teachers were fantastic and I loved going to class each day. They were all very knowledgeable in their different subjects.

It was fun to have students spread through out the town, once you made friends it was fun to go see what other places are like. And once there were problems, they were usually pretty fast at fixing them.

Great, there were lots of different programs that we could get involved in. I wanted to be with a family, but since there weren't enough I didn't get placed. They were also good about keeping us informed with things going on in the city.

I felt safe.

Social Life:
There was always lots to do

FUA--Making Study Abroad the Best Decision You've Ever Made

FUA is a fantastic program to study abroad through. The professors are passionate about what they teach and they even give you local tips to make your time there even better and so that you get to know the real Florence. FUA is great because the program provides a solid home base at the school buildings and pretty much takes care of the majority of the administrative necessaries that come with being from another country. At the same time, they offer a complete immersion into the Florence community as you live in off campus apartments that are spread out around the city and have volunteering opportunities available as well. They also offer school run field trips where you would have the opportunity to travel and learn more about the Italian culture for a great price. Overall, if I had to do my study abroad experience all over again, I would without a doubt chose to do it at FUA again. I truly cannot imagine there being another program that makes studying abroad as great as FUA has made it.

I've learned so much at FUA. The instructors were so passionate about what they taught and I loved attending class each day.

The apartments around Florence were fantastic! The living situation truly immersed all the students into the local culture.

From the living situation to the school run trips and helpful tips that the instructors (who were also locals themselves) gave us, FUA truly did a wonderful job with cultural immersion while at the same time, providing a familiar home base at the school buildings.

The program administration was great! They were always there when you needed help or had questions. Even if you happened to lock yourself out of your apartment, they would be on their way to give you a spare key. FUA is very well run and they do a great job of keeping up with all the students.

Florence in general is a pretty safe city. It is well lit at night and FUA has people that students can call at all hours should something go wrong.

Social Life:
There's always always always something going on and somewhere to go!

FUA a experience I will never forget!

FUA was such a wonderful experience. I was able to experience Italian culture first hand. The program submerged me into the everyday life of a Italian. I was able to take classes that were not offered at my university in the states and they were all related to my majors.

I enjoyed my classes at FUA. They were taught by teachers who held jobs in the fields that they were teaching, which was really amazing. I was able to learn in a way I had never before because the teachers were able to share first hand experiences that were related to the subject.

My apartment was really nice and was in a very nice and safe area of the city. The only problem I had was that there was no Internet available at the location and I had to buy service through a phone company. This was more expensive compared to other students apartments.

FUA held events, clubs, and ways to participate and be apart of the Italian culture. I was around Italians everyday and was able to have a full cultural experience.

The staff that was in charge of the program were wonderful. They were all very kind and helpful. There was a emergency number that you could call at all hours whenever there was a problem.

I always felt safe in the program. The school is very safe and so are the areas around the city.

Social Life:
FUA did a great job making it easy for students to be involved on campus. They had a lot of social activities and ways of bring students together.

Fantastic

FUA made my study abroad experience easy and enjoyable. The professors were insightful and the class/work load was manageable with traveling. Anytime there was a concern, the administrative employees were quick to help us, whether it was an issue with our apartment, class, or making the right travel arrangements.

Awesome experience

This experience probably couldn't have been better. Great housing, interesting but easygoing academics, helpful advisors. AMAZING city.

Most beautiful and authentic apartment, good roommate pairings, great location.

best semester ever

studying in florence was the best decision i've ever made. the people were great. the sites were incredible. and the food was out of this world.

professors were great. really cared about the students. also understood that being abroad was just as much a cultural immersion as it was a semester at school.

great apartment. i loved it. however, it was considerably smaller than many of the other apartments. i wouldn't have changed where i lived, but perhaps we could've been charged less?

fantastic. the best part about the program was the opportunity to volunteer. i helped out with an american football team. that was the best part about my semester.

very caring and tried their hardest to take care/look after/ and ensure that everyone was having a great time.

Social Life:
americans tended to stick with other americans. i wish we could've branched out more.

Awesome

FUA was a great school. I gained so much knowledge from my travels abroad and FUA only helped in my discovery of Italian culture and what they had to offer. The staff are all beautiful people inside and out. The staff members are all natives. There are great excursions that FUA had to offer. I was able to see Germany and Austria with FUA as well as explore small towns in Italy. This was a great experience and FUA is a great university to explore.

I absolutely loved my classes abroad. I gained so much knowledge in more core classes. I was also blessed with great opportunities for bettering my education in the art world.

I lived in an apartment near the Piazza della Repubblica. It was a great experience to live in the city and be so close to the many different museums and piazzas.

I was able to talk with a lot of different Italians. Everyone is very welcoming. I loved the exhibitions where we were able to view artists work, eat, and talk.

Everyone was so friendly and genuinely sweet people always willing to help and answer questions. They truly made me feel at home.

I felt very safe. You still need to be aware and not travel alone at night.

Social Life:
I had a great time while abroad. I wish I knew about more places to go that were mainly for natives. It is easy to fall into the trap of visiting American bars mainly because it's harder to locate where natives your age go out.

Happy!

Studying abroad in Florence was the best decision I've ever made!

The best experience of my life

There are no words to express the knowledge I have gained.

Absolutely amazing

Absolutely amazing. Enjoyed every single thing about Italy. Had an amazing experience and does not want to leave! Would love to intern!