Frontier participants Frontier participants

Thailand Zoo Assistant

I loved this project

I loved this project it was a bit scary at first but everybody were welcoming, the first day we were with the elephants and each day we did different things. For me knowing that I had made a difference to the animals lives was the most enjoyable part of this project for me. I recommend that future volunteers come with an open mind and know that you are making a difference by being there, the zoo is slowly changing the way they do things. Don't expect a sanctuary it is more like a zoo trying to be a sanctuary it is hard work but it's worth it.

It was great

For me this was the first time I've travelled abroad online I had a good time but it was tough to adjust to a new country at first. I met lots of new people which was awesome. I really enjoyed the project everyone was really friendly and welcoming you get straight into the project and culture it was great. I would recommend that future volunteers stay for longer than a week, one week is not long enough stay for as long as you can to make the most of the project.

For me the best part of the project was being around the animals

I had just come from Cambodia and Vietnam on my travels I met the volunteers and we got on the bus and went over to the camp we spent some time getting to know one another and out surroundings. For me the best part of the project was being around the animals, being hands on and playing with them. I think future volunteers should make sure they were comfortable and cheap clothes that they do not mind getting dirty. You will get hot and sweaty and that is very stuffy make sure you bring lots of sun cream.

Amazing zoo...

Working with the animals was great, the other volunteers were great, but Frontier had little involvement. The volunteer coordinator called the people from Frontier an idiot the second I arrived, and I soon learned every word out of her mouth was a lie. Two weeks max stay, otherwise she starts pulling you into her drama (she says her boyfriend hits her, she talks badly about the staff) and in addition, she's exploiting the rich Thai family that owns the park, by using their money to buy things for herself and claiming it's for the park. Frontier overcharges you, and the park sees none of that money. They've made great progress as to how the animals are treated, but this is largely because the volunteers are amazing -- the coordinator has only been detrimental to the program, pushing volunteers out and delaying change. As for Frontier, do not use any of the companies they suggest for booking flights or getting visas. All of them were horrible. Do it yourself.