Frontier participants Frontier participants

Thailand Elephant Sanctuary

A really good experience

When we arrived at the project it was very well organised, we spent the first few days getting to know one another which was a really good experience. We then began to learn the culture and our surroundings. In the first week we learnt about Thai culture and bodice's who also taught how to cook and the local children came round and did a most beautiful welcoming dance. The project itself was very good but for me the best part I would have to say was probably the elephant sanctuary where I got to wash and take care of the elephants. I have no suggestions for improvements on the project. I recommend a future volunteers bring lots of mosquito repellent also suitable footwear like comfortable trainers or walking boots as it is very hot out here and very easy to get blisters.

Another great experience

I had a great amazing experience on this project the staff are really great. I was on the project for three weeks so I had the cultural week the week with the elephant sanctuary and a week working in the school. All of these three weeks were very different to one another but at the same time were all great experiences. For me the best experience of the project was working the elephant sanctuary I absolutely love animals. We have the opportunity to wash the watermelons and feed them to the elephants and then take the elephants down to the river to wash. I do not have any recommendations on how the project could be improved. I recommend that future volunteers come with the mindset to work with the elephants you are there to do what they need. It is not about what you want to do is all about them and their needs. I also recommend that you do the Bangkok culture weekend as this was also another great experience.

I recommend that future volunteers should 100% go

It was a culture shock when I first got to Thailand but it was good, never been anywhere like this before. The temple was excellent and the kids were doing cultural dancing is it was amazing. The locals had their own pool which was run by them, was really good I was even taught how to cook Thai food. What I most enjoyed about the project was making a difference in helping the elephants, getting up early at seven and picking bananas to feed them and hugging them. I recommend that future volunteers should 100% go especially to the elephant sanctuary.

I gave something back

The first few days were not too bad it's a bit hard to start with as we stayed in Bangkok for a few days after a very long flight before travelling to the elephant sanctuary. I enjoyed the fact that I did something different to what I would've done here. I gave something back. Animal rights are not the same in other countries they are not the best. Animals are not treated the same as here so was great to give back. I would recommend that future volunteers take lots of bug spray with them.