Frontier participants Frontier participants

Tanzania Teaching & Beaches

I really love this project

I really love this project, we first had an introduction and were shown around on the teaching project. We were reading on the beach and playing volleyball with the kids and men from the local towns. I had a really good time, I really loved it. For me the best part of the project was meeting with the locals and doing normal things with them but they wanted to do and being a part of their lives. I would recommend that future volunteers get involved with the locals as well as doing the teaching the locals bring so much more to the project so don't just sit at camp.

Teaching and diving

Teaching out on Mafia Island was a great experience. Everyone you talk to out there wants to learn and is incredibly friendly. It was an amazing experience. I would recommend that it may be a good idea to try to take a break from the teaching side at some stage as I tried diving (and got my PADI qualification) in week 2 of 4 and it was very much needed. Who knew looking after children was so tiring!!

Teaching on Mafia Island

This isn’t my first time volunteering but it is my first time volunteering abroad. At first, I wasn't sure what to expect so I was a bit apprehensive but pleasantly surprised when I got here. The teaching in Tanzania is challenging and rewarding, especially when you get to talk to the local people and begin to understand how much difference you can and do make to people's lives out here.
I'm finding it easy to adjust to island life here on Mafia Island, and it's made so much easier by the staff on camp and the warmth of the villagers. After two weeks here I can honestly say that I really do not want to leave!
So, on a personal note, I am intending to try and stay for as long as possible and enjoy all the opportunities that this project and Mafia have to offer. When you consider doing this project, you should understand that it is an adventure and it is a once in a life time experience; but also that you get as much as you put in.