Frontier participants Frontier participants

Tanzania Marine Conservation & Diving

Whale sharks, Turtles and beach life

During the 6 weeks I was at the beach camp on Mafia Island I did countless dives and surveys. We even saw some of the more spectacular marine wildlife – a whale shark on two occasions and turtles many times. The camp is right on the beach and is rustic but has everything you need. Mafia Island is a protected area anyway so it needs to be low impact. After the diving, the best thing about the project is the social life. Everyone’s relaxed and fun, and chips in to help out with stuff around camp. I’m going to miss my beach cabin!

A great introduction

I went on the Tanzania project in July. I have never met a more committed team of staff, something which was very encouraging and spurred the volunteers on as well.
It has completely changed my plans for the future; I am now applying for a university course in animal sciences, which wasn't my experience before.
It was certainly a life changer, I enjoyed every minute of it.
I can’t wait to go back , because I love Tanzania and most importantly the people. Their simpler way of life appeals to me as does their attitude towards life.

Life on camp was amazing

Life on camp was amazing and the diving in general was brilliant. I'm hoping it will help towards the experience I need towards a career in conservation biology.