Frontier participants Frontier participants

Madagascar Teaching, Wildlife & Diving

I had a great time

On the first few days of the project we had a great time. We were met at the airport and felt very welcome we were taken to a hotel and then later taken out to dinner. The next day we were taken to camp where we integrated into the group. For me what stood out on the project was the diving getting my open PAD qualification going out every day diving was amazing. I would defiantly recommend for future volunteers to go on a tour the Irangi tour and go see the waterfalls it is a paradise out there. There is so much to see and do, the dolphins the baby turtles, snorkelling.

Madagascar

The Madagascar marine project is an excellent programme which allows people to grow and learn in an exceptional environment. The wildlife is extraordinary and the people make it even better. The local culture is fantastic with delicious (and shockingly cheap street food) and you'll never tire of the hustle and bustle of Hellville.

This trip will never be forgotten!

I honestly don’t think I could have had a better time. The running of the project and the location is perfect. Even though the living is very basic and there are a lot of daily chores. The house is homely and you feel closer to the community as the house is in the village centre and you are living the same lifestyle. This trip will never be forgotten!!!!!!!

I greatly enjoyed my time

All the conditions were as good as or exceeded my expectations and I greatly enjoyed my time. I understood the aims, objectives and results that were explained clearly and really enjoyed the survey work. Had an amazing time on the project and greatly enjoyed it.

I loved sleeping in the hammocks

The info that was provided on the website and before I left was great. The training was great, best part being the fish surveys. The camp was great and the staff were good cooks. I loved sleeping in the hammocks.

The site it self was better than what I had expected

The site it self was better than what I had expected, staff were great. Best part being the surveys and educational workshops in the local school.

Great staff

Field brief and website information was very useful. Also the correspondence about the new island was very useful and came in good time. Great staff.

The project coordinator was a big help

The project coordinator was a big help in setting up our transport from Sihanookeville. We would not have gotten there with out him, as it is out of the way from anything touristy. Once one site, the briefing was very informative.

Madagascar is a place like nowhere else!

Choosing the Wildlife, Marine and Teaching project was the best choice I could have made. Because I was considered an 'Adventurer' I feel that I left the trip with a unique and lucky experience. I was able to get involved in every aspect of the projects Frontier offered in Madagascar. It meant that I learnt a hell of lot while I was out there about animals, deforestation, the importance of conservation. I obtained a PADI Open Water which enabled me to dive to 18m and being able to see the amazing life under the sea. I also got the opportunity to go on Marine Sat Camp, which is extremely lucky for an Adventurer. Even though I discovered I suffer from very bad sea legs and sea sickness the 4 days we spent on our boat 'HippoCamp' was once in a lifetime.I got to go on 2/3 dives a day seeing hundreds of fish as if we were swimming in an aquarium and on one of the last days of our time on the boat we saw two hump back whales in the distance. Teaching was a completely different experience, as in you could see the difference you were making there and then. It was extremely rewarded to be able to work with children from the ages of 4-16 helping them learn the English language. They were so eager to learn and appreictated everything we were doing for them. Two nights a week we would do Adult Classes, which a lot more challenging but then even more rewarding. This trip was probably the best thing I've done, even with the mosquito bites, infected wounds, sea sickness and a bit of sun stroke I wouldn't of changed one bit. This trip has made me realise that the road I was going down towards a career was the wrong one. And that I'd like to move into working for non profitable companies to help all over the world. Madagascar is a place like nowhere else! You fall in love with the place the moment you step off the plane.

Great experience

The best aspects was generally collecting data which is later passed on to help local knowledge and understanding of coral and fish species. Great experience in general life skills life talking to locals and organising road trips.