Frontier participants Frontier participants

Kenya Orphanage & Maasai Mara Safari

Was a good experience

Was a good experience. I did farming while my mum worked with the kids on the next farm. Best part being looking after the animals, feeding and cleaning them. Was such a good opportunity to see the difference and diversity in people’s lives, be able to sacrifice your own things like food and time to help these people and enjoy this amazing once in a life time opportunity.

The project was very well organised

George collected us from the airport, he took us home where we slept. The next day he took us to the orphanage where we worked in the baby unit it was backbreaking work. We forget how lucky we are that you don't have nappies they have the old type of cloth nappies that they use and there is 20 children and only two staff so it's never ending feeding cleaning bathing the babies. In the evenings you are left to your own devices so there was not much to do the Wi-Fi was touching go so could be lonely sometimes. The food was welcoming but the same for breakfast lunch dinner all vegetarian food I was just dreaming of a KFC. The project was very well organised. I loved working with the girls there and the kids were brilliant. The staff have been through the system themselves they were once in an orphanage now a doctor, one has is own catering business. They are all doing something with their life and they provide a fabulous service to orphans and understand what they are going through. Two of the owners were orphans. The only suggestion I have on improving the project is the food it would be nice to have more variety. I know they offered to cook different food for us and to bring in meat for us, which we did on one occasion and they cooked it for us but it just would be nice to have a variety of food. I recommend that future volunteers come on this project are fit and healthy as it is a lot of work and bring some things for your free time like books and download videos for yourself to watch as you have the evenings free.