Frontier participants Frontier participants

Intern and Work Experience Placements Worldwide

Shoreditch life with Frontier

I did a month long placement in the London office, based in Shoreditch, which is a pretty cool location. I was working with the events department, helping to organise talks and fairs at universities and schools around the UK. I was given a lot of trust and responsibility by the staff, who were all really fun to work with. I'm planning to go into events when i finish university so i will definitely use this experience as a stepping stone.

Online Journalism Intern

I spent 2 months as Frontier's Online Journalism Intern. My time with the company was fantastic, not only in terms of the job but also in terms of the experience I got from it. The staff were all very friendly and helped me settle in quickly. This is certainly not an internship where you'll just be making the tea, you are a vital member of the team and your work really is appreciated. I had to cut my internship short due to external circumstances but I would have certainly continued to enjoy my time there. I was responsible for the online blog, both writing it and maintaining it. I also maintained the social media channels which is always a lot of fun. Overall, this internship gave me a platform to publish my writing to a large audience and gave me experience working with a marketing department.

Great Stepping Stone

I feel that I’ve gained a lot over the 3 and a half months I have been working at Frontier. Not only have I learnt the discipline of working in an office, I have also developed many skills in writing for the ‘Science Club’ blog, doing presentations for both colleagues and students, and communicating with scientists in the field.

Frontier has been a great stepping stone for me which will hopefully take me onto a career in conservation. I have met some amazing people whilst working at Frontier, and made some great friends. It is so nice to work with people who have similar ideas and concerns as me, and their advice has really helped me to think about my future.

I am planning to continue doing volunteering work for the rest of this year, before hopefully starting a masters at the beginning of the next academic year.

London Conservation NGO Internship

This was a really fantastic internship opportunity where I was able to learn how a volunteering NGO works from the recruitment process to liaising with teams in the field. I was able to spend the first 2 weeks switching between each department every couple of days to get a full understanding of the NGO, and I did a lot of admin work and made some phone calls. For my final 2 weeks, I got to stay in the Marketing department, which is where my interests lie, and shared the daily tasks of an Online Journalism Intern - e.g. writing blog articles and sharing them on social media, scheduling daily tweets, and following up on facebook messages from volunteers. Another highlight was that I was able to go to a Graduate Fair at Olympia where Frontier had a stall, and to a Climate Change Rally in Westminster. At both of these events, I had the chance to talk to the public about what Frontier does, which was a great way of getting immersed in to the organisation.

I've been able to carry on writing articles for their blog since finishing my internship, which is another bonus.