Frontier participants Frontier participants

Greece Sea Turtle Conservation

Amazing

First few days were for acclimating. I struggled being away from home but I had a blast. . Working with turtles and doing the night surveys. I watched the turtles lay there nest which took about one and a half hours, it was amazing, such a blast. Be prepared to work it is not just a holiday. I got to see the lake in Nikolaos, was amazing doing the underground lake glass bottom boat tours.

The Best Experience of My Life!!

It is not possible to put everything I learnt and experienced into a short paragraph. The sea turtle project in Greece was indescribable, it was hard work but worth ever minute. Getting up early for morning survey was a struggle at first but you soon got into the swing of things and seeing baby hatchlings isn't so bad. When I first arrived at camp I didn't really know what to expected as I've never been camping before so it was a new experience. The camp site was better than I imagined we had two hobs where we were able to cook pasta, rice, sausages that sort of thing and we had showers which were normally warm plus we were practically living on the beach so seeing the sun rise and sun set was gorgeous. I have met some amazing and incredible people over the time I was in Greece and have made life-long friendships. This project has opened my eyes and encouraged me to do more projects likes this and to not be scared to try new things. I would definitely recommend this project to anyone who is thinking about working with animals and in conservation and who even love to travel. It is a great way to experience new cultures and spread the word about conservation and what it means.

Really enjoyed the project

Really enjoyed the project spent the first few days getting to know the people and the area and the culture. We got stuck in straightaway to the project which is just what I wanted. For me the most enjoyable part the project was the marine biology as this is what I am studying and this provided me with the hands on experience that I desired which I loved. I recommend that future volunteers be prepared to do hard work good volunteering it is not shy are swimming with the turtles. What you put in is what you get out of the project so it's down to you.

Everyone gelled well

Daunting before I went out but everyone gelled well. Everyone got on really well, and were very friendly. Got to meet a lot of lovely people, got to see a turtle laying eggs which was absolutely fantastic. Recommend this project, especially if you love cycling as lots of cycling involved. Buy bottled water.

The first few days on the project were amazing

The first few days on the project were amazing everyone was really nice and friendly, the weather was really nice. We were picked up in a van and taken to the camp where we got to meet everybody and to start our work. The best part of the project was watching the turtles eggs hatch. We would build trenches for the turtles. I would take the turtles to a safe area of the sea once the eggs were hatched. I recommend future volunteers research the area and see what is available to do in your free time and make the most of that free time. Also take a good read torch you will need it.

People were really good and friendly

People were really good and friendly. Seeing the turtles and doing the night surveys. Research the area before you go and have plans in place for your free time, and don’t be shy.