Frontier participants Frontier participants

Fiji Marine Conservation & Diving

It is fantastic

When we first arrived on the project We just chilled I'm packed met other volunteers and staff and then we just got on with it. The whole experience was like a world wind. The diving was the best in it was like David Attenborough, absolutely fantastic seeing the white fin shark, turtles, parrotfish and that's just to name a few. Future volunteers should take lots of mosquito repellent. I would recommend any volunteers to do this project as it is fantastic you see you so much.

The experience has affected by career choices massively!

The experience has affected by career choices massively! I am starting MEng in mechanical engineering, am most likely leaving this path to pursue a career in diving. I loved it so much, hope one day to work out there for Frontier.

Really enjoyed it

Really enjoyed it. Something I will never forget. The close relationship with SumoSumo and being adopted by a family is something truly special.

A brilliant team made an amazing experience

Enjoyed the project and felt especially welcomed by the staff. I learnt a lot from them and thoroughly enjoyed their company. A brilliant team made an amazing experience. Diving sites were the best I have visited and saw some of the most amazing sights of my life. I won't forget this unbelievable experience.

I had an amazing time in Fiji

Emma, Claire, Shannon, Luke and Ant all made us feel so welcome and helped with all aspects of camp life. I had an amazing time in Fiji and learnt a lot about the culture, myself and had a doing science and my BTEC work. Thanks Emma!

I hope to come back in the future to be a staff member

I enjoyed some of the best weeks here with the other volunteers and staff. Like a big family! I hope to come back in the future to be a staff member.

The camp staff were amazing

The camp staff were amazing. Always friendly and helpful. They know their science, and I learned a lot! Fiji is a beautiful location, I would like to see a stronger implementation of an educational program for the locals to coincide with the science program.

Loved every minute of it

I think what you do here is brilliant and the effort put in by you all really shows. Loved every minute of it and look forward to the next phase!

Fantastic

The quality of dive instruction here is fantastic, and made the whole experience fun and safe. I had an awesome time and made loads of friends.

My time in Fiji

Although I was only here a short time I was welcomed into camp with open arms, thrust into cooking and camp duties and into dive training a science lectures very quickly. This gave me something to talk about with my fellow volunteers and allowed me to connect all the more easily. At the beginning of the project my confidence was suffering slightly but the support from every one else on camp quickly allowed me to come out of my shell and make some life long friends.

I have loved the whole experience

I have loved the whole experience and think it has really helped me develop and grow up. The people, place and camp life all exceeded my expectations.

Overall the experience was amazing

Overall the experience was amazing - great to learn from the science officer about the science aspect of the project, and the dive officers were awesome too. Learnt loads while here and am planning already to continue my marine conservation career and education.

The field staff were amazing

The field staff were amazing, so passionate about the aims and what they wanted to achieve. Really understood all aspects of being out here and helped us feel at home. Enjoyed the project and look forward to seeing what the results may be used for in future. An incredible experience!

Great experience

Great experience, made better by the staff. Amazing time was had, great gateway experience into conservation and the culturre and beauty of the country.

I couldn't ask for a better staff

I couldn't ask for a better staff, dive team and research group, this group feels like family and would be welcome in my home any day. They keep a very professional but beautiful island life approach. I couldn't have taken anything more from this experience. The expectations I had were more than met, the staff was flexible and respectful and make sure for a great experience for every different type of person.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Navaiava

Just wanted to say thank you for all the effort you have all put in to teaching me to dive and swim. Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Navaiava.

I couldn't have asked for better dive training

Couldn't have asked for better once I was actually at Naviava. The science staff were perfect and I couldn't have asked for better dive training.

I will never forget

Our week started with a 14 hour boat ride from Suva to Gau on the notorious “Sandy”. The journey was through the night so most of us got a good night’s sleep except for the unfortunately few who spent the journey with their heads over the side. If things continue the way they started this will be a 20 weeks I will never forget.

It was great

A celebrity appearance on NAVIAVIA! At the beginning of the week, Sarah, another Frontier staff from Suva, joined the family for the week. So a morning boat trip was in order for her arrival at Lovu airstrip, around 40 minutes away, which meant we could all have a stop at a snorkel site outside of the bay. We were greeted by 6 or 7 blue spotted sting rays, 2 white tipped reef shark, 2 grey reef sharks and 1 black tip! Later that day the rain hit! The river at the back of camp flooded and everyone on camp had to help dig trenches to prevent any flooding on camp. Success was rewarded with soya protein with mash and gravy (my idea!) and we just about managed to keep dry. Celebrations occurred on Saturday night as most of the Benthic Crew and the A&I Possie and myself, my brother and Nicki from the Fish Massive passed all their respective exams ready to start surveying the reefs! Entertainment provided from Colin (AKA Mr Bounty) was the main talk of the night (and the next week or so to come!) A great first half on Naviavia and looking forward to the rest of the phase!

I had an awesome time

I first of all want to say I had an awesome time at Naviavia. During my time here I’ve learnt many new skills: Make a fire and cook, open coconuts and dug long drops. I’ve also got to know over 300 species of fish since I’ve been here and done a lot of fish, sea grass and mangrove surveys. These are skills which will be useful in future careers in marine biology. I’ve also spent a lot of time with my Fijian Family. It might sound cheesy but they really have become my Family away from home and they will always stay in my heart.

I couldn’t be more happy that I decided to volunteer

Two weeks into the project I couldn’t be more happy that I decided to volunteer. The scenery is breathtaking and the Fijian locals are extremely welcoming to everyone involved. The change of lifestyle is a bit of a challenge at the start, but the staff has made the transition seemingly effortless. Getting back into the diving regularly in a new environment has my nerves a bit rattled but against he staff succeeded in reassuring me everything would be okay. The diving is awesome, as is malas family. Meshing with a group of RA’s that has all been on the project together before my arrival was trying, but after spending the past 2 weeks together we’ve all gotten close. Im very much looking forward to the rest of my stay here.

Amazing

The project was such a great way to get integrated in a new culture. We learned as much about Fijian way of life as we did about the environment surrounding it. Breathtaking scenery, amazing diving and some new friends ill keep for life.

I do no regret a day I spent on camp

Here’s a few things you need to know about Beqa; Number one, it rains a lot, so bring a coat; number two, everyone is lovely, I mean everyone. So be prepared for some big smiles and loud Bula’s; number three, bring lots of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and anything else you may want or need. Now that’s out of the way camp life itself is pretty good, I’ve made some unforgettable friends and had easily the best summer of my life. Beqa is beautiful and the family we live with are amazing, second to none. Mala, the man of the house, is one of the best men I have ever met and the kids are adorable. So all in all I would highly recommended coming, but bring lots of books and don’t expect regular power. Even though of any negativity I may have conveyed I do no regret a day I spent on camp and cant wait to come back and see our Fijian family.

I feel very much encouraged to travel more

As my first time travelling abroad, I found many aspects of the experience quite challenging. However I had a fantastic time and the things that I have learnt on the project have been invaluable. I feel very much encouraged to travel more, and possibly participate in other Frontier projects in the near future. The overall experience has taught me much about myself as well as others and will certainly be a positive memory of all i have ever done.