Frontier participants Frontier participants

Fiji Healthcare Project

Also for seniors!

Just retired and don't know what to do? Do you want to re-live the excitement you experienced when you went on an Interrail tour through Europe or hitchhiked all over the United States? Fiji is the answer. Suva is reasonably comfortable and safe although you can't count on a hot shower. In the house I stayed the way of getting the hot water boiler to work was an extension cord from the porch through the bathroom window. We lived on the porch sitting on the floor. Fiji is still different. Still exotic – business attire for men is shirt, tie, jacket and a knee length skirt. But everything (including McDonald's and Gloria Jean's coffee) is available.

Of course an intercultural experience means you have to be flexible. There was no privacy – but I loved the company of my host family. And you must not be too uncomfortable with religious practices. At the school for handicapped where I helped out we had morning devotion and said grace before lunch. However, the school also celebrated the Hindu Diwali festival.

I was on the Health Project and spent most of my time in a class with autistic children. I had no prior experience – I have worked all my life at a desk – but I believe that just life experience was enough to make me useful

Healthcare volunteer

Overall, had a great time working at the special needs school. It was a great chance to help the physiotherapy team there and learn how to work with special needs in a limited resource country. I learnt a lot about the local cultures, and was tied in with the local community living with a Fijian family. I hope I get the chance to come back and visit!

Thank you for such a fantastic experience here in Fiji!

Thank you for such a fantastic experience here in Fiji! I have loved staying here with my Fijian family and Natasha as the project coordinator has been fantastic. My time here has flown by, and I will definitely return here in future as I have had such an enjoyable time.

I loved it

I found the project really awarding. Since I had no experience in working with children I would not have signed up for it – but once I was there I loved it… and I felt confident dealing with the autistic children. When I was young in the 70’s there were important cultural difference within Europe. Today CNN announces that Starbucks will open a new outlet in China every day during the next year. Fiji was a place to get a genuine intercultural experience. They really drink kava – seriously among themselves, not for tourists. Men really wear business skirts. They really eat and sleep on the floor.

Healthcare project in Fiji

I felt like the best aspects of the project was working in the placement with very friendly and receptive people. They were all very welcoming and working with these people made it very easy to transition into working in a Fijian environment. I also really enjoyed going around the city of Suva and learning much of its culture and history.

Thank you so much for allowing me to participate in this project! It was truly a life-changing experience and I would love to go on another Frontier project in the near future!