Frontier participants Frontier participants

Conservation, Community & Adventure Placements Worldwide!

The first few days on the project were good

The first few days on the project were good, I stayed in the separate house I was sharing with others, everyone helped settle each other in and made us feel welcome and part of the family, the frontier family. I enjoyed working with the FPCA they were lovely like a family. I would recommend to future volunteers to make sure they take lots of their own sunscreen as that is one of the more expensive items in country and also to enjoy its Fiji time, Time to chill.

I had a really lovely time

I had a really lovely time and really enjoyed myself over the first few days. The most enjoyable part of the project was working with young children teaching them it was very fulfilling I felt as though I was making a difference it made me feel better and made me a better person. I recommend for future volunteers that they be open minded have fun and don't get overwhelmed.

I absolutely loved it!

This has confirmed physiotherapy is the right route for me and will no doubt help massively with the application process.

I made really good friends with my host family and found Kenya to be a stunning country - with plenty more to explore!

• The Adventure

Surfs up in Portugal

I did the Portugal surf training camp for two weeks in August. It didn't work out much more expensive than if i'd done the training in the UK but of course the weather was much better and it was a good excuse to see a bit of Europe i've never been to before.
The instructors are friendly and professional and i'm definitely going to look at doing another surfing holiday next summer now i've got the surfing bug.

Cameroon teaching

I was very anxious on my trip to Cameron but was happily met by Frontier staff who took me to my accommodation and made me feel very welcome and helped me settle in and to adjust to my new environment before I started my adventure teaching. Had a lovely time on this project and would recommend it to others.

Tanzania and Fiji

I have just finished a placement on the Frontier Tanzania Marine project where I was working as a Conservation Volunteer. I applied for this position earlier this year, having been a volunteer two years ago for six months on the Fiji Marine project and loved it. I had an amazing time on both projects and honestly couldn't tell you which I liked better, which is saying something as I had thought that nothing could top my Fiji experience.

Savusa secondary school Fiji

We have just got back from our amazing trip to Vanua Levu and Taveuni. Leaving on the Saturday ferry to the first stop of Savusavu then a bus ride to a fantastic village - it was right by the beach and the kids went to get us coconuts while we watched the local rugby game at the school. We went to church, all dressed up in our sulus on the Sunday, we all introduced ourselves and sang with the choir. After the kids took us around the beach and showed us the fish, we came back to a feast! With curries and fresh prawns and grilled fish and plenty of breadfruit and dalo. On the monday we packed our bags and headed to our first school 'Savusa secondary' we took the heights and weights of the children and helped them fill in the health questionnaire. Then it was off to get a 4 hour bus ride to labasa, and our second homestay in vunivau we had a fantastic welcome, and during the 4 days we managed to survey over 5 schools and we even took the sons of the family clubbing! We were lucky enough to stay for the hair cutting ceremony of the daughter of the chief, on her second birthday. We had another feast, with Lovo and plenty of Kava, they had been pounding grog all day! The next day we packed our bags to get the bus back to Labasa to go all the way to savusavu, then we stayed with another family by the sea who cooked the most amazing cakes! And gave us loads of sandwiches for the bumpy bus journey to the point of the island – Natuvu where we caught a small boat to the garden island of Fiji, Taveuni. We went to the famous waterfall slides, and picked up a few bruises on the way down, but it was well worth it. The next day we got the bus to the stunning Tavoro waterfalls, we hiked for about an hour to reach the third, and highest waterfall. It was well worth it, diving of the rocks and into the pool was amazing, and the birds and plants were stunning.
Then we caught the Sofi ferry back home. All in all it was an amazing trip, and we all got to see so much more of Fiji.

Fiji journalism live

Working at the Fiji Sun was very different to doing a work placement at a newspaper in the U.K. After a couple of days shadowing reporters I was effectively treated as a member of staff, given my own assignments and allowed to contribute to the paper as much as I could. The editor and staff reporters were always on hand to offer any assistence that was needed with contacts, backround information, etc.As well as working on assignments I was also able to take part in a staff training program that the Sun runs for its journalists. This program which was held once a week included sessions on court reporting and working on stories involving the police. Whilst some of the procedures and laws discussed will obviously be very different in the U.K. Taking part in these sessions did offer the opportunity to hear about and discuss the various concerns that journalists, the police and other officials have in the relationships with one another.The best aspect of the placement were the assignments which allowed me to meet some of Fiji's poorer citizens, such as squatters without official homes, and to report on difficulties and struggles that these poorest people in what is still a developing country experience on a daily basis.

Bulla Bulla Fiji

I was in Fiji on the teaching program for a month and every second of it was amazing! I stayed in a home stay and I honestly didn't want to leave! To be able to see their culture first hand was special! And they welcomed me with open arms! It took a few days to adjust to the lifestyle but after that i was fine! The teaching was very daunting as they allowed me to teach independently from the word go. Once the initial fear had gone I loved every minute. The children were thrilled for me to be there and they took full advantage of asking every question they had whether it was about class work or what it is like back in England! I was included in everything both at the honestly and at the school and felt like part of the family! Definitely a once in a life time experience Nd I would recommend people to do it! Even though I was there for just a month I feel that I made a tremendous difference to my family, the school and the children I was teaching.

I've done so many incredible things

The trail was such a lovely way to immerse yourself in the local culture and the trail leader really took advantage of everything these countries had to offer, taking us to visit Mayan ruins, eat street food in local markets, go zip-lining through forest canopies, board down the most active volcano in Central America and so much more. We were also traveling with a really great group and so ended up having some really fun nights out in some of the coolest and most beautiful bars I've been to in my life.

Belize marine conservation

I had an absolutely incredible time on the project, largely due both to the amazing wildlife I was fortunate enough to encounter, and the friends I made along the way, including the fantastic staff! The island has been incredible, with friendly locals, tasty food, and a way of life I'll never forget! Go slow!

Be the change

Having been on the Teaching Project for just over 2 months, I think it's pretty safe to say it is one of the best experiences of my life. The accommodation is comfortable and clean. Transport (mainly by bicycle) is safe and easy due to Siem Reap being a tour sit friendly city. The social life aspect leaves evenings and weekends buzzing but the most substantial part is the actual volunteering. The project is linked tightly to the local community allowing an in depth experience with the Cambodian people and their culture. The Teaching Project especially provides an opportunity to really immerse into the local communities. Frontier provide ongoing support and communication whilst giving the opportunity to develop life skills and using our own initiative.

Smashing!

I volunteered in Costa Rica in July and had a fantastic experience meeting great people and seeing amazing wildlife!!! In fact I enjoyed it so much that I ended up staying longer, and I now have a position on the team!

Life-changing experience

I volunteered with Frontier in July and it was great – the wildlife was stunning and I really enjoyed the trails! I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to get more experience in conservation, or even just to experience something different for a while.

Awesome Tanzania

I had a great time teaching in Tanzania. I really enjoyed the variety of teaching available, particularly the adult classes every evening. Camp life was much less basic than I was expecting and the food was great!

Awesome Fiji!

The marine project is all about surveying and recording the different fish in the area that indicate a healthy, happy reef. To do this properly, you must first learn all the different species and there is some studying and tests. However, the atmosphere of the camp makes it stress free and enjoyable. In the first few days, I wasn't sure if I'd actually remember all the different names, nor did I fully understand why it was important to know the names off the top of my head. However, it has been fascinating to learn the individual species and after only a week, we are able to determine the differences between fish and are able to discuss what we are seeing without looking it up in a book.

I am looking forward to the rest of my trip with optimism and I know I will be leaving here with new knowledge and new friends.

Unbelievable Cambodia

My time here in Cambodia was unbelievable. I arrived very sceptical as I had never visited Asia before. I met other volunteers who were lovely and started teaching on the second day I arrived at the school! The school differed a lot from English schools, only had basic facilities and the Cambodian teachers did not speak English very well. This however made me feel more needed at the school and I felt that whilst teaching the children English I was vastly improving not only their education and future prospects, but the teacher’s English skills also. The children were adorable and had a serious desire to learn. Cambodia was amazing and I would recommend Phnom Penh to anyone to come and teach, live and experience it. There was plenty of things to do, I visited local markets, the Royal Palace, the floating villages, Museums and on weekends went other areas of Cambodia like Siem Reap and experienced Angkor Wat. The Cambodian people were really friendly and street food amazing. I would definitely come back given the opportunity.

Siem Reap teaching

Currently two weeks into the teaching project in Siem Reap and I'm having an amazing time. The local people are so friendly and the other volunteers are also great. I feel like
I really have value at the school and helping children learn English is super rewarding. I can't wait for the rest of my time here.

Great times in Caye Caulker

The project in Belize was a great experience. It's a relaxed country and the project was a lot of fun. The conservation work included surveying, and collecting data about the marine animals (including manatees) and reefs. Later on we would be involved in cataloging this data.
I'd definitely recommend this project, the island is beautiful and I'm not sure I would have really appreciated Caye Caulker properly if I wasn't on an experience like this.

Costa Rica Frontier

My time on the Climate Change project in Costa Rica was the best experience of my life! My only regret is that I didn't stay longer. I was naturally a little nervous about flying across the Atlantic on my own for the first time, but mostly excited. I spent a night in Alajuela Backpackers Hostel, which felt safe, before flying to Puerto Jimenéz with Nature Air (THE best flight ever!!) PJ is an adorable town full of excitement.
As soon as I arrived on camp I felt part of the jungle family. Everyone is like-minded so it's really easy and natural to get along with people. A healthy proportion of camp conversation revolved around food- the Americans were intrigued and ever so troubled by the concept of a Yorkshire Pudding.
After the initial shock of humidity and the sheer noise of the jungle I soon fell in love with the Osa Peninsula. Every day was incredible- and unique. Waking up from my hammock at 4am became the norm in order to get to the trails to complete the surveys. The turtle patrols were my favourite surveys as they were so rewarding. Patrolling the beaches involved looking for fresh turtle tracks and relocating the nests if they were laid on part of the beach that is prone to flooding. Hot and sweaty work but seeing the little hatchlings waddle off into the ocean made it all worth it. During my time on the project I was lucky enough to tag an Olive Ridley Turtle which is something I can boast about now and saw two Green Turtles as well as releasing hundreds of hatchlings.
Other surveys we conducted involved birds, primates, Otters, tracks, scatt, and towards the end of my time, Poison Dart frogs, hummingbirds, butterflies and fauna. Working alongside Osa Conservation was inspiring. They work so so hard to protect the turtles and I felt that I adopted their passion whilst I was there. The staff on the project were also brilliant- who become your friends and share their knowledge with you. I learnt a ridiculous amount while I was on the project and that was 10 weeks, so I would encourage you to go for as long as you can- times flies by!
EVERYWHERE you went there was something insane- you look up and there's a group of monkeys swinging above you or Scarlett Macaws displaying their magnificent colours. Looking down you would come across Green Leaf-cutter Ants which I think are absolutely fascinating or the occasional fer-de-lance or Cane toad. We even had the privilege of being home to a Boa Constrictor at one point, the same day as we hosted for 2 King Vultures and a Three-toed Sloth! The jungle never failed to impress us!
I trekked into Corcovado NP, which was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen (sadly not the same could be said for my feet which had developing 14 blisters) We saw a Tapir!! Tamandua Anteater, Coatis, glass frogs and so much more.
Food on camp was amazing too- life as a veggie isn't too bad I suppose! Anyway, we took the Colectivo (local bus equivalent truck type vehicle) into town most weekends where we could buy pizza and burgers, ice cream and even rum for our notorious parties. The culture is vibrant and Agua Luna (bar/club) holds a dear place in my heart- I will be back one day.
Other activities involved kayaking on the lagoon watching the sun set (with the croc), horse riding along the beach and through the jungle to a waterfall, climbing to the highest point at Piro, swimming in the sea, paddle boarding, the list goes on.

Honestly, if you're contemplating whether or not to do this project JUST DO IT. Although be prepared to become addicted to wildlife and Costa Rica in general when you return!

Magnificent Madagascar!

The minute I started the Frontier Forest Program in Madagascar I knew I was in for a wildly fun ride! The staff and other volunteers were friendly from the get-go with answers to all my questions! My first walk in the forest was amazing and every one after that just got better and better. I saw everything I wanted to see and gained valuable experience for my future conservation exploits. I would recommend this project highly.

Mission to Madagascar

Since arriving here a month and a half ago I have had a lot of firsts! This experience has been an extremely positive one and I look forward to the next few months on the Frontier Madagascar Forest Program!

Science and fun in the sun

Located on a gorgeous beach, beside one of Madagascar's last untouched forests in Lokobe National Park, lies the Frontier camp. Full of passionate people dedicating their time to the conservation of Nosy Be's wildlife. Here you will get to work on projects with wildlife found nowhere else in the world, including some critically endangered species such as the Sportive Lemur and the Madagascar Fish Eagle. The projects give future conservationist or even plane old enthusiasts the opportunity to learn valuable surveying techniques, surveying reptiles, lemurs, butterflies and birds. Its not all work and no play, at the end of the week to celebrate a job well done during that week, we party the night away in camp and with the local people. Madagascar is definitely a must see location, and Frontier is just the organisation to give you a truly memorable experience.

Frontier Madagascar - adventure awaits!

Madagascar is renowned for its biodiversity and high levels of endemic wildlife. It is a land of untamed adventure and spectacular scenery. As part of the Frontier Forest Project, you have the unique opportunity to observe species that are endemic to Madagascar. You will never get a better chance to see black lemurs jumping through the trees or witness the critically endangered Madagascar Fish Eagle. The project surveys a wide variety of fauna ranging from lemurs to butterflies. Night time reptile surveys are always a favourite. I would highly recommend bring a good powered head torch. The camp is located on a beach and the chilled atmosphere is complemented by the sound of the sea. Conditions are basic, but it only adds to the sense of adventure. The people are really friendly and the staff are always willing to help. Friday night party nights are always a blast! Be prepared to dress up and dance! I have really enjoyed my time in Madagascar and would recommend the project to anyone with a sense of adventure.

Madagascar marine programme

Madagascar is a fantastic gateway to conservation and travelling in a wonderful country - the activities provided by frontier are excellent and varied and I find that it is a programme which challenges people and allows people to develop personal skills and meet fantastic people from all around the world.