Frontier participants Frontier participants

College Course Credit Internships Overseas

Media placement overseas

I undertook a two-month journalism and media placement in Costa Rica at Frontier's rainforest camp. I aspire to be a travel journalist which is a tricky career to get a foothold in without any experience or references. I definitely think the placement has helped in that regard as I find I've got lots to talk about in interviews and on cover letters for job applications.

The camp is in a really unique and beautiful part of Costa Rica, just near the Corcovado reserve which is definitely one of the most interesting areas in the world for wildlife. We saw a huge array of animals from big cats to butterflies to frogs and monkeys. Although wildlife wasn't my main interest before I left, it's definitely a new favorite!

To anyone planning on going i'd say go for it, and make the most of every day as you will miss it when you return.

Journalism and conservation placement in Fiji

Arriving on the island of Beqa (pronounced "benger") was my first taste of a 3-month placement which I finished last month. It looked like paradise - beautiful, palm-fringed, white sand beaches with not a single sun-lounger to be seen!
The atmosphere on the island is really relaxed, no-one hassles you and the local people were the most welcoming people i have ever met!
At the Frontier camp it is similarly relaxed but with more of a professional, context - after all, the camp is here to conduct surveys for marine conservation programs.
I am a photographer and aspiring journalist, and my placement involved filming, photographing and reporting on the activities on the camp. I had never dived before, but after about 4 weeks i had trained up and got my PADI advanced open water qualification, which meant i could take part in surveying and - most importantly for me - start to film the diving.
All in all this placement was a step into the unknown, but i am so glad i took that step as it's been a unique and memorable experience, and i'm going to use everything i learned and all the media i produced to look for a paid placement doing something similar next.