Frontier participants Frontier participants

Cambodia Teaching in Siem Reap

The best part of the project for me was meeting all the other volunteers

I went on this project with my older brother who is 25 years old and it was a little bit hectic to start with but we were greeted by the Coordinator who was brilliant. Then we visited the schools in the area and were shown around. We were shown how things are run. The best part of the project for me was meeting all the other volunteers and the student who was so lovely. I suggest that future volunteers have an open mind and be careful of monsoon season. You need to learn to deal with a lot of things but you manage it is part of life in these countries and don't forget to bring a mosquito net and mosquito spray.

• The School/Placement

• Pay and Benefits

• Teacher Support

Siem Reap placement

During my time on this placement I was staying in a volunteer house in Siem Reap. The house is in a good location for visiting the city’s hotspots and for arranging trips to Angkor Wat, which is close by. If you go to Cambodia, and particularly Siem Reap, you have to visit Angkor Wat, it’s mind blowing.
The teaching took place 3 or 4 days a week at a local school for boys and girls. The kids were eager to learn and really interested to have a teacher from a different culture. I undertook the TEFL qualification while I was teaching, so I logged all my teaching hours with the local staff and am submitting these to my coordinator at Frontier so that I can get the certificate. Before I left I couldn’t decide between Cambodia and Vietnam but I am so glad I chose Cambodia as it’s got a great mix of culture, architecture, natural beauty and welcoming people.

Cambodia teaching

Was not sure about my project choice, even a week before I left. Arrived in the country with my backpack. Left with a heart full of memories. Great project supported by great people. Must go on a Tuk Tuk ride once you go out there.

Inspiring

This project offers a fantastic opportunity to people who are looking to make a difference, and to people who want to progress further into their chosen fields of ecology or teaching and to have the opportunity to practically implement this in the field. It has been a pleasure to take part in and no doubt will provide proven field experience in a management capacity for future employment reference. My personal experience is immeasurable and will always have the Khmer smile close to my heart. As you develop both working and personal relationships with these people, you mold yourself to their ways and appreciate who they are and where they have come from. A passion that drives both your own willingness to progress but also theirs. I have met some special people here and I take comfort in the fact that long after I have left Cambodia, these inspirational people that have driven my own motivation forward will still be here for the progress of this amazing country. As long as they are here inspiring others, their future is in good hands.

The first few days were tough, thankfully it got much better.

The first few days on the project were exciting but somewhat difficult in terms of adapting quickly to the rural surroundings of Siem Reap. Firstly, there was a very warm welcome on arrival from Amee Patel the coordinator on the trip, who briefed Tiara (sister) and myself about the ins and outs of the project, and what is expected with given rules and responsibilities for over the 4 weeks. I unfortunately became ill with food poisoning (Haks food – Chicken) and an infected mosquito bite, which meant I was out of action for around 2/3 days (to note: Tiara also became ill with food poisoning, again Haks food the cause). During this period, Amee and the other volunteers were extremely supportive and in no time I was back and ready to teach at SHAC. The realization of teaching for a sustained period of time settled in and so attentions turned to making the most of the time here with the other volunteers, who are now close friends. I think the first week and half was difficult due to the shock of having a lack of sleep. Traveling on bike to the school every morning and evening. Understanding that some people adapt to their surroundings quicker than others, but in truth the first few days were tough, thankfully it got much better.

I mostly enjoyed getting to know the kids

I did three weeks teaching in Cambodia where we had to cycle everywhere so you need to like cycling. I worked with around about 5 to 20 children at a time ranging from the age of 10 to 15 the facilities for the children are very good. The teaching rooms were good with solid chairs and good toilet facilities. unfortunately there was no eating facilities for the children or anyone else. I'm most enjoyed getting to know the kids and having a good relationship with them on this project. I recommend that future volunteers bring with them mosquito net's, bike helmets with a good light on it.

Siem Reap teaching project

Only halfway into my teaching experience and at just 16 I feel I have accomplished so much already! The students are so lively and always willing to learn. I can't wait to see what these next two weeks have in store for me!!