Frontier participants Frontier participants

Cambodia Beach Conservation

I enjoyed diving

The most enjoyable part of the project was learning to dive , I did my advanced open water training. I recommend future volunteers bring a relaxed attitude as everything is very slow everyone helps each other and take enough money as there is no ATM.

Come to Cambodia

I was involved in the Cambodia Programme where I worked as an Assistant Research Officer for 6 months. My job was to offer support to the Project Investigator and work alongside other volunteers. I got a lot out of this experience and would recommend it to anybody looking for practical experience in the field. Our PI was very knowledgeable and had a lot of time and patience to help both volunteers and AROs improve their skills. I feel as though I have learnt a lot of invaluable skills both practical and theoretical in such a short time that will really help me when looking for employment in the future. My favourite aspects of the project have included collecting in camera traps which is where we would see most of the more secretive animals that we were too noisy to sneak up upon! I also really enjoyed bathing in the river, just fully submerging myself in the refreshing cold water when it was so hot everywhere else! I loved my hammock which surprised me but it was actually really comfortable and felt safe being all cocooned up inside of it. The food was also an unexpected pleasure especially as our PI rustled us up some very interesting treats including pancakes, garlic bread, ratatouille and Tortilla. From my experience I would recommend taking lots of talcum powder as it does get very humid and clothes rub leaving rashes which can become painful. Lots of socks so that you always have a nice dry pair, waterproofs (for when it rains it really does pour), lots of suncream and deet and maybe some snacks as it isn't always easy to get to a shop!