Frontier participants Frontier participants

Belize Marine Conservation & Diving

Amazing

I have spent the past 6 months on Caye Caulker as part on the Marine Conservation Project. During my time here I have gained a lot of experience in the field of conservation which will help me towards a career in Conservation. The projects here focus on the coral reef and the impact that humans are having, being able not only experience our impact on the ocean has first hand but to then educate others in how we can change this is extremely rewarding. We live on a remote basecamp on the north part of the island where everyday we are treated to the most incredible sunsets every evening. Cooking on base is fun, we buy fresh vegetables and create dishes from Thai curry to pastas and even crepes! This island is truly a magical place and will be sad to say goodbye!

Unforgettable experience

My experience in Belize has been incredible - from the moment I arrived I was made to feel at home not only by staff and volunteers but by local staff and people I met along the way. Accommodation was basic but was what I had signed up for, the food we ate each night varied and was delicious. We took part in a variety of projects that not only helped with research but also got involved with educating local children which was really fun. The diving in Belize was incredible - I've never seen so many sharks!! I would recommend this program to anyone who not only wants to gain experience and invaluable experience in conservation but to anyone who also wants to experience the Caribbean in one of the most unique ways possible!

Unbelizeable

Coming to Belize and volunteering with Frontier has been a wonderful experience for me all around. The staff members on camp make you feel right at home and make the project all worth while. The barrier reef is amazing with so many different species of fish and corals every time you go scuba diving it feels like a whole new experience. I love being able to identify the sea life species while diving and the science work is coming along great. I fell that my time and effort is going to a good cause. Caye Caulker is an amazing little island and the motto around is "Go Slow", people are never in a hurry and very relaxed.

My experience in Belize

Overall I can say that my experience as a volunteer in Belize has been a unique one. This project is just starting,something that I would have definitely liked to know beforehand, as it would have meant that I would have come with a different mindset. I'm not saying that this is something bad, it simply meant that things weren't as organised or prepared as I would of thought. However, we took this as an opportunity to contribute towards the development of the project,and I will leave with the great satisfaction of knowing that we have made a difference and an impact for this project, and I leave with the hope that in the future Belize shall become one of Frontier's best and most popular projects, because it has the potential to do so.
At the moment the living conditions are very harsh, especially because of the sand flies and mosquitoes...they just don't stop! But despite how challenging life at camp can be, eventually you end up getting used to it (you even learn to tolerate the sandflies!). Because of all that I think I have mostly benefited at the personal level as this experience makes you grow up a lot as a person plus I've also learned new skills like driving a boat (kind of), skinning a coconut, IDying the wildlife you find in the sea, doing surveys and mastering your diving skills.
All and all, I don't regret at all my decision of coming here as I think it has definitely been worthwhile in terms of personal growth. I will leave with amazing memories from the locals and the various trips I made during my stay (Blue Hole, Mayan Ruins and Cave Tubing) and the amazing dives I've done here.

first two weeks in Belize

Belize is a fantastic vibrant and laid back country with some superb diving and marine life. I completed my PADI advanced open water through the project and the instructors have been excellent. I have also been lucky enough to dive with many sea turtles, rays, nurse sharks and even some manatee since being here. I have also just finished the training process for coral identification and classification and I am now an active participant in surveying and protecting the reef.

The camp where the volunteers live is an isolated (about 15 mins by boat to the local town) fisheries dept. ranger station surrounded by a forest and marine reserve (the targets of the conservation activity). Life here is fairly basic - there is no running water. I do however, feel like the 'back to nature approach' of the project adds to its charm (even if the insects and heat detract from it somewhat).

Socialising with my fellow volunteers has been great fun and the fisheries rangers are genuinely a laugh a minute (watch out for Mr. Fid...). We dive most mornings and make it into town on Caye Caulker regularly in the afternoons, which gives you a chance to use the wifi (as I am currently) and buy a beer. Caye Caulker is small but has plenty of good bars and restaurants as it is something of a backpackers destination. I feel really safe here and the Belizeans are some of the freindliest people I have ever met. I have only been here a couple of weeks and already have some good mates amongst the locals.

I would recommend this project to anyone who loves life outdoors and, of course, diving. However if you'd rather be in a cushy hotel this probably isn't for you.