Frontier participants Frontier participants

Belize Beach Conservation

UnBELIZEable

I have spent the past 6 months on Caye Caulker as part on the Marine Conservation Project. During my time here I have gained a lot of experience in the field of conservation which will help me towards a career in Conservation. The projects here focus on the coral reef and the impact that humans are having, being able not only experience our impact on the ocean has first hand but to then educate others in how we can change this is extremely rewarding. We live on a remote basecamp on the north part of the island where everyday we are treated to the most incredible sunsets every evening. Cooking on base is fun, we buy fresh vegetables and create dishes from Thai curry to pastas and even crepes! This island is truly a magical place and will be sad to say goodbye!

Belize beach conservation

I spent 6 weeks on the frontier marine conservation camp on caye Caulker in Belize. Caye Caulker is a really beautiful location, it's remote enough to feel like you are on your own paradise island but you can still get to bars and shops within an hour. It's the Caribbean so the beaches are obviously amazing, as well as the weather.

The conservation project involves surveying the marine animals in the area as well as the vegetation, mangroves in particular, as they are vital to the ecosystem. We took part in surveying usually 5 days a week for a few hours a day, and it was tiring but really rewarding. It's amazing to know that the data we collected was going to be used as part of a government program to define the conservation policy for the future.

Camp was quite basic but we had everything we needed and you very quickly get into the relaxed island lifestyle. I couldn't recommend the program more, and i'm planning to go back again next Summer once i've completed my Masters.

Frontier Belize Beach Conservation Project

I have been in Caye Caulker with Frontier Belize for two months now and I already feel like I never want to leave again! The island is gorgeous, a little Caribbean island surrounded by coral reefs and turquoise waters. Caye Caulker is divided in two islands, the North and the South island, which are really different from each other. The project's camp is located in the Fisheries Department ranger station within the forest reserve. The forest is mainly a mangrove and palm tree forest, and is quite isolated as it can only be reached by boat. I think Caye Caulker is the perfect location for a conservation project, as during the week you will mainly stay in the North Island where you are fully immersed in nature, while on weekends you will have the chance to have some free time in town (South Island) where there are nice restaurants, bars and also a good nightlife!

The living conditions are basic but they are not as tough as I expected. At the beginning of the week we get fresh fruit and vegetables from the South Island, which means we can cook really nice vegetarian dishes and have fruit with our oatmeal in the morning. So we don't only eat rice and beans for the whole week (even if I love the rice and beans too!). Sleeping in hammocks is also not what I expected, they are pretty comfortable! The only nuisance at camp are the sand flies, but they can be avoided by wearing long trousers and long sleeve shirts. I would reccommend bringing lots of long light clothes as you will be wearing them all the time at camp, but you should still bring shorts/t-shirts/dresses for the days and nights you will spend in town.

On the beach conservation program you will do a lot of different types of surveys, including mangrove, seagrass, conch and lobster surveys as well as beach cleans in the forest reserve. Don't expect to find long, white sand beaches, as it's mainly mangrove and coral reef habitats around here! My favourite surveys so far are the conch and lobster surveys because you get to explore the local reef where you can see amazing marine life including nurse sharks, rays, turtles and all the colourful fish while collecting vital data which will help the Belize Fisheries Department understand if they are managing the marine reserve effectively. I'm really excited as Frontier will start manatee surveys in the near future, so I will be able to study these fantastic animals in their natural habitat!

Overall I would reccommend this project if you are looking to help with some great conservation work, learn some new survey techniques, see lots of marine wildlife and meet amazing people and have the experience of a lifetime!