Canada: Abbotsford, Calgary, Churchill and 6 other cities
2-4 Week, 5-8 Week, 9-12 Week, 3-6 Month
All year round
- Required to commit to a minimum of 4 weeks (longer durations required to take care of the bears)
- Must complete 2-4 days of training and shadow a senior volunteer before starting independent shifts
- No smoking is allowed on the property.
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humor and dependable
- Physically and mentally fit
- Age: 19-35
- No animal allergies
- The care of animals must be secured around the clock and work may include night shifts Free Time: Can be arranged according to your needs
- Extreme Weather (heat & cold), dirt and living in a remote area must be something you can handle.
- A love for animals and some general experience of caring for an animal is a must!
- Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics
- Proof of current tetanus shot & medical insurance; Good physical stamina and health
- Good communication skills and the ability to work alone
- Good knowledge of the English language both spoken and written
- Patient and comfortable around mammals and birds
- A valid driver's license would be an asset, but is not required.
Cost in US$:
900 - 2300 CAD
- Emergency evacuation services
- In-country orientation/Training
- In-country staff support
- Registration fees
- Travel while in host country
- Written materials abroad
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
- Placement: Wild life rehabilitation volunteer experience
- Airport Pickup: We will be waiting for you at the airport and transfer you to your accommodation.
- Hostel Package: 2 nights of hostel in Vancouver upon arrival
- Accommodation: A Shared room in a trailer for the entire placement duration at volunteer project
- Meals: 3 basic meals a day included (no catering available for vegetarians)
- In country transfer: you will transfer by bus to the project
- Pick up & drop off: An employee of the volunteer project will pick you up from the nearest bus station. On your way back they will drop you off at the nearest bus station.
- Mail-holding service: You can use our Fronteering office as a reliable address to have your mail delivered
- Ongoing service: If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
- Tours: Through Fronteering you have the possibility to book tours in Canada after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact: If there are any problems during your stay in Vancouver you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
- Animal Welfare
- Volunteer Management
- Wildlife Surveying
Fronteering volunteers have a Love for the outdoors and a passion for wildlife. They are not fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. They remember that they are a guest and respect the rules.
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
Typically Participants Work
Independently or in Groups of 2-5
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
Post Services Include
- Alumni Network