Fronteering Travel Services INC.http://www.fronteering.com
110 - 15388 101 Avenue Surrey, British Columbia V3R 4H1 Canada
Canada: Abbotsford, Calgary, Churchill and 6 other cities
2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (includes high school academic semester abroad)
Typical Duration of Program
All year round
Grab the opportunity of a lifetime to rehabilitate and rescue many different species of wildlife, from the smallest squirrels to the largest wildlife bears located near the wildernesses of the Canadian and U.S.A border.
Wake up early in the morning to the sound of the many different wild guests that you will have to rehabilitate and hopefully release all while living on site of the project! This great volunteer project is located less than 2 hours from Vancouver, world's best livable city. The work with the wildlife on the centre is physically demanding and it is by no means an 'easy holiday option'! The minimum duration of stay is 8 weeks with a maximum duration of 12 weeks. This gives the animals a chance to get to know and trust you, and it requires a little time to learn their routine. They are exclusively a North American Native Mammal Rehab Center and focus on mainly on smaller mammals like raccoons, skunks, otters and other animals like coyotes and black bears.
- Help, rescue and rehabilitate Native North American wildlife
- A unique opportunity to work closely with wildlife and participate in offering them a chance of survival
- Expand knowledge and skills in animal care
- Increase knowledge of local wildlife species, ecology, and urban wildlife management.
- Located less than 2 hours from Vancouver, the number one voted city in the world!
- Several Ski areas located in the area!
- Enjoy the surrounding nature and country side
- Required to commit to a minimum of 4 weeks (longer durations required to take care of the bears)
- Must complete 2-4 days of training and shadow a senior volunteer before starting independent shifts
- No smoking is allowed on the property.
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humor and dependable
- Physically and mentally fit
- Age: 19-35
- No animal allergies
- The care of animals must be secured around the clock and work may include night shifts Free Time: Can be arranged according to your needs
- Extreme Weather (heat & cold), dirt and living in a remote area must be something you can handle.
- A love for animals and some general experience of caring for an animal is a must!
- Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics
- Proof of current tetanus shot & medical insurance; Good physical stamina and health
- Good communication skills and the ability to work alone
- Good knowledge of the English language both spoken and written
- Patient and comfortable around mammals and birds
- A valid driver's license would be an asset, but is not required.
900 - 2300 CAD
- Placement: Wild life rehabilitation volunteer experience
- Airport Pickup: We will be waiting for you at the airport and transfer you to your accommodation.
- Hostel Package: 2 nights of hostel in Vancouver upon arrival
- Accommodation: A Shared room in a trailer for the entire placement duration at volunteer project
- Meals: 3 basic meals a day included (no catering available for vegetarians)
- In country transfer: you will transfer by bus to the project
- Pick up & drop off: An employee of the volunteer project will pick you up from the nearest bus station. On your way back they will drop you off at the nearest bus station.
- Mail-holding service: You can use our Fronteering office as a reliable address to have your mail delivered
- Ongoing service: If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
- Tours: Through Fronteering you have the possibility to book tours in Canada after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact: If there are any problems during your stay in Vancouver you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
Fronteering volunteers have a Love for the outdoors and a passion for wildlife. They are not fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. They remember that they are a guest and respect the rules.
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Couples and Individuals.
Independently or in Groups of 2-5
Fronteering Travel Services INC. specializes in organizing volunteer abroad projects to preserve the environment, wildlife and indigenous people throughout the world while giving the volunteers a real and raw experience in some of the most beautiful and often remote places in the world to make a true difference.