Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS) Header Image Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS) Header Image

Summer and Winter Studies At The Heart of Germany

Living Berlin

FUBiS is just amazing. Not only do you have an excellent academic experience but you also get to meet students from all over the world in a wonderful city that has too much to offer. I fully recommend the course Law Politics and Society with professor Hartnell and this experience will definitely open your mind and you won't regret it.

FUBiS Winter Term 2015

My experience in FUBiS was excellent. I took a subject course, Law, Society and Politics in a Comparative Perspective. The quality of the class was outstanding, the teacher, Prof. Helen Hartnell is a great one, with deep knowledge on Sociolegal Studies, open to discussion and interested in each student's point of view on the topics we debated.

The FUBiS staff was very helpful as well, they did everything they could for assuring us a good stay in Berlin, they also organized several excursions and activities for us. Berlin is an amazing city to be, it is clearly a good choice if you want to explore a historical place that also has a vibrant and hip way of life.

FUBIS is great!

In January 2014 I had the great opportunity to participate in the Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS) Term I 2014. The program took place from January 4 until January 25, 2014 and I took part in the course “European Studies“ with Professor Ulrich Brückner. My time in Berlin was really enriching, both academically and personally. The “European Studies” course was very interesting and it sure did add a lot to my formation as an International Relations student. It was great being able to relate content learnt back home at my university with the classes in Berlin. In class, we had the opportunity to make individual presentations and discussions, which allowed each student to show his own point of view and also get to know the others better. Another great aspect of my FUBIS experience was having met so many different and amazing people. Because of FUBIS I now have friends all over the world. The course brought together people from different countries and backgrounds, which made us deal with these differences and also learn a lot with them. The daily basis contact with the other students in class and in the accommodation was a unique aspect of my FUBIS experience. For me as a student the whole FUBIS program was really well organized since the subscription of the application until now (and I believe ever). We constantly received very informative emails which directed us what to do and when as well as the excursions, which went perfect. Besides, I was always well advised by the FUBIS Team, who was always were always very helpful and nice. I had already been in Berlin before and I have always loved the city’s atmosphere. Being able to visit Germany’s capital again was great (even with the freezing temperatures!). I think Berlin is a great city for students and hope to come back as one as soon as possible. I’m looking forward to studying in Germany soon. Besides, I also aim to attend other FUBIS courses in the future. It was certainly an unforgettable experience, which allowed me to learn a lot and also have lots of fun.

Adventures in Berlin

The FUBiS program is definitely not one to miss. From beginning to end, FUBiS worked with the students to find the best possible accommodations and staff were always available to help answer questions or help with any problems. The term pace had a good rhythm to it, and FUBiS professors prepared their students well for immersion into the culture and course material. And, when it comes to Berlin, I can't recall ever being in a place so rich with historical significance and pure urban beauty. The city landscape and her people were not just a supplementary to the academics at the Freie Universitaet, but could stand alone as their own sort of a learning experience. I'd never had the opportunity to travel until studying abroad this past summer, and thanks to FUBiS, I had the experience of a lifetime.

Excellent Experience

It was really good to be part of FUBiS Winter Term 2015. I studied Law, Society and Politic in a comparative perspective. The subject and the professor were awesome. We had good articles to read and we debated during the classes. The professor was really good. She encouraged us to participate and share our backgrounds which was interesting. Therefore, we did two visitations (one current German prison and one museum that was used to be a URSS prison) and it was incredible, really touching.
Although there were students from different countries (South Korea, Colombia and Brazil), it would be better if there were more diversity.
My apartment was located next to the university, but far from Berlin downtown. At the same time, Berlin has a good public transport and the city is amazing.
I do recommend this exchange to my friends.

FUBiS and Berlin: A Holistic Experience

The three-week exchange program provided by FUBiS Winter Term I 2015 has been a

wonderful experience that I am glad to share and recommend. In order to tell you a

little bit about my own thoughts regarding the course as a whole, I will divide this short

report in paragraphs as the following: a view on Berlin and its special characteristics;

living in Berlin as an exchange student and the social life; the academic experiences;

the extracurricular activities related to FUBiS; and closing remarks. Before going over

these topics, I would like to deeply thank FUBiS staff for their hard-work and care

throughout the program, as well as the Association of Supporters of Freie Universität

Berlin, Ernst-Reuter-Gesellschaft, which granted me a scholarship and therefore

handled me the opportunity to live all the experiences presented ahead.

“Berlin is a city of stories unnoticed”. This phrase came to my mind after trying hard to

summarize my feelings about the place where 2015 started to me and which will have

impact on my whole year and life. The phrase is based on Gay Talese’s article “New

York is a city of things unnoticed”, which I love and remembered a lot throughout

FUBiS Term I 2015. Every corner, every brick of Berlin is a must-see. However, the

difference between Berlin to New York, São Paulo and many other megalopolises in

the world is that you will not know Berlin by just visiting the touristic spots, which are

mapped and stressed in any good city guide. The real beauty of Berlin and its places is

not their architecture, their superficial history, or the jewels and paintings they have

inside; but rather their underlined story, the incredible past they went through as

Germany has been stage for most of the best and worst historical events in the world. It

is a city of the extremes and the details, where two identical cathedrals sit side by side;

where the university that held professors such as Marx and Einstein is at the same

place in which "the biggest library" of Germany was located and there was the historic

burning of hundreds of thousands of "un-German" books by the Nazi government;

where the Berlin Free University has as its founding departments the quite American

Benjamin Franklin U. Hospital and Henry Ford Buildings. In which the place Hitler killed

himself is nothing but an open area parking lot.

In this amazing city, I had the possibility to get in contact with quite different languages,

art expositions, museums, memorials, theaters, sculptures, monuments, flea markets,

walking tours, pubs, parties, cafés and even the Bundestag, the former concentration

camp of Sachesenhausen and a currently activated prison. From the diversity of those

activities and people I met by attending them, I felt that being in Berlin allows you to

Name: Allan Greicon Macedo Lima.

Course Subject: Law, Politics and Society in Comparative Perspective.

University of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

have a taste of the whole Europe, as people from throughout the continent were living

and/or traveling to the capital of Germany in the cold end of December and January.

Additionally, I was somehow connected to the past and the future as the city has so

many memorials and historical places; this experience was intensified by the fact that I

could see many friends I met in the past few years who now live in Berlin or had a trip

to visit me there.

As I mentioned, FUBiS is a quite holistic experience and the classes I took were not

disconnected to the reality I was living in. We have discussed, over the near 50 hours

of intense classes, many difficult and varied issues related to authoritarian and

totalitarian regimes, sociological theories and political regimes. Then, we would often

go over current events and discuss them according to what we have read. For

example, one day before the tragedy in France regarding the deaths in Charlie Hebdo

and at the same week of demonstrations of Bärgida in Berlin, we had discussed in

class how the so called Anti-Islamization groups could be spreading in Europe. Another

case was the discussion over death penalty and the criminal or restitutive aspects of

law, which occurred just after the first Brazilian was ever punished by death sentence,

in or out of Brazil (this capital punishment was held in Indonesia).

Apart from the interesting academic bibliography, it is worthy saying that the places we

visited within my program schedule were great. We went to the Berlin-

Hohenschönhausen Memorial, on the site of the main political prison of the former East

German Stasi, and our guide was actually an ex-prisoner who tried to escape from

East Berlin in 1978. We also visited JVA Tegel prison, the second biggest institution

considering the number of closed execution prisoners in Germany. These visits had

deep impact on my views over justice and history, as well as made me analyze or

reanalyze pieces of our reality I am used to just taking for granted.

As a conclusion to this short, but sincere and hopefully useful article, I can just say

FUBiS is a really worthy experience, mainly if the student has a positive attitude

towards the events and challenges intrinsic to an exchange program. Participating in

the activities already planned and whatever shows up in a city such as Berlin is a life

enriching opportunity and I hope to go back to Berlin soon for other courses and to

meet some great friends again!

• The Campus

Great time at FUBIS!

I went to term I 2015 of the FUBIS program. From the very beginning until the end, my time in Berlin was amazing. I took German language classes in the A1 level. My teacher was great and made me feel very comfortable from the very first day, his classes where very dynamic and full of exciting things to learn. The staff was full of kind people which were always willing to help you with anything. The campus was really nice and the apartment they arranged for me was good too.
Also, the staff organized a couple of really fun excursions and activities to learn more about the city and our fellow students. But I think the best part was being able to meet people from all over the world and know more about their countries and cultures. No doubt that in Berlin I had one of the best experiences in my life, both academic and social.

Great stay in Berlin with FUBiS!

Memorable experience? Watching the World Cup matches!

I chose this program because the price was around what I was looking for and the academics offered appealed to me.

I stayed with a wonderful host family in a beautiful home in Lichterfelde. Unfortunately, the house was located about 30mins away by bus from the campus and 40-60 mins by train from the downtown area and East Berlin for the nightlife. Luckily, the house was down the street from the single apartments, which were also close to a train station. Finding transportation was convenient but not quick.

Great stay in Berlin with FUBiS!

FUBiS was a fantastic program for me! I originally looked for a longer program, but decided on the six week Term II to give myself time to travel before and after the program. The orientation was a great place to meet people and make friends. Luckily, most of the classes took place in the same building on the same schedule, allowing us all to mingle with other classes. The program takes their academics seriously, but it is definitely much more relaxed than a normal summer course in the USA. The teachers were extremely friendly and always were available for help as needed. The main Freie building is very modern and filled with students even during the summer.

The excursions were in theory a good idea, but they were not what I expected. Its much more fun and beneficial for you to do your own trips on the weekends instead of the organized ones.

Well-organized offers both intensive and non-intensive

A well-organized program that offers both intensive and non-intensive German language programs.

I did the intensive German intermediate program. I thought it was helpful in improving my grammar in general, but not necessarily my communication skills. Probably this was a result of how the classes were designed.