FILMMAKERS WITHOUT BORDERS Header Image FILMMAKERS WITHOUT BORDERS Header Image

Teach Film & Media in Bangladesh | No Fees | 100% Funded

FWB fellowship in Bangladesh 2015-2016 review

I was lucky to pilot the one year FWB Fellowship program at the Asian University for Women in Chittagong, Bangladesh. I came to this opportunity having just finished a PhD. I was instantly attracted by the opportunity to engage directly with a diverse community, to move back to the world of visual media after years of being absorbed in words, and to develop myself as a filmmaker/artist/researcher/teacher.

The FWB Fellowship allowed all of this and more. What is most unique and wonderful about the FWB Fellowship in Bangladesh are the students you get to work with. AUW is home to young women from 16 different countries across Asia. They are brave, strong and passionate young people with so much to offer and contribute, and the chance to work with them directly was deeply moving and inspiring. Quite apart from having the chance to pursue my own film projects in a culturally rich country, I learnt so much from working with these young women, and experienced a lot of warmth and support from my time there. The fact that it's a placement at a university site also suited me really well and helped me transition into the next phase of my career.

If you are a media specialist, storyteller, filmmaker, photographer, anthropologist - consider this fantastic opportunity. You will be deeply appreciated by your students, and given much support by FWB staff in helping to make the experience as successful and rewarding as possible.